VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all. I have a ide DVD burner in my 486 I installed windows 95 with it no problem but I burnt some games to a DVD disc so I could fit more on the disc but windows nor dos will read the disc in windows it just opens the CD drive folder and shows it empty in dos it just comes up with a read error. Can win 95 read DVD discs? It had no issue reading normal CD r burnt discs is there a driver or something I can do to get this working thanks.

Reply 1 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem does not lie in the DVD itself, but in the high-level file system used, which is UDF. Windows 95 does not come with UDF support and shows the (empty) Joliet part of the disc instead. However, I'm pretty sure UDF support for Windows 9x can be added by installing e.g. a DVD playback software.

Last edited by derSammler on 2017-06-11, 09:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DVD discs are usually recorded using UDF filesystem. Get and UDF driver for Windows 95 and it will work fine (AFAIK, Adaptec used to have that driver).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you need to burn the discs with ISO 9660 / Joliet file system?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try CDBurnerXP and use ISO 9660 file format. It's under the Disc menu ("Change filesystem").

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 12, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi tryed iso buster it will read the contents of my DVD drive I got a series key for it but every time I try and copy the contents of the disc to my hard drive it still asks to register even thou I have registered the software. And am running the pro version this is getting frustrating as I can't run win 98 as its too slow and I have no idea how to install 98 lite I only have 100Mhz and 64mb of ram to play with

Reply 12 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote:

Hi tryed iso buster it will read the contents of my DVD drive I got a series key for it but every time I try and copy the contents of the disc to my hard drive it still asks to register even thou I have registered the software.

In the left-side pane of the IsoBuster window, under "Track 01", you should have multiple filesystems available. You can identify each one by either looking at the icon, or right-clicking it and selecting Properties.

If you can't copy a file under the UDF filesystem, then it might work if you locate the file in the ISO or Joliet filesystems. If you do not have the ISO 9660 filesystem, then as clueless1 suggested, you will need to use burning software that can be configured to use more than just the UDF filesystem. Make sense?