VOGONS

Common searches

old opengl-ports of classic shooters

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally i managed to run it, paletted textures were not selected and the error was md2 models not being available. Well, there were no models in that zip so requiring them didn't make much sense. In the end i had to disable them manually editing the ini. Also you can't change the run key from the launcher and keyboard setup is reset pretty often. So it works and doesn't look too bad.
The other one finally wasn't based on boom but ripped the key config menu, this one didn't look that great and had no dynamic lights. About jdoom 0.84 it shouldn't be too slow, i think i even tried it on a pentium back in the day but could be an older version. About old gzdoom no idea.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 21 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have upgraded from PII-233/333 up to a PIII-600-EB so other ports are usable 😀
I have checked out zdoom, zdoomgl, doomlegacy, ... so far doomlegacy is my favorite! but I could not get 3dfx-glide to work yet.

there is no windows/opengl port of blood, rott, ww2gi yet?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 86, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blood's recently got a (rather illegal) Java 1.6-based GL port i'd rather not link.

ROTT source ports are a crufty joke. I don't recommend any of them.

WW2GI can be ran through Eduke32, though iirc eduke32 doesn't run on w9x.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 86, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

prboom(glboom) is the most ideal windows doom port that i would ever recommend cause it precisely reproduces doom behavior and thus free of trouble in playing doom demos. its framerate is also well optimized and outperforms other ports.

Reply 27 of 86, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It's based on decompiled binaries and GPL'd+BUILDLIC code made closed.

Reverse engineering the game engine from decompiled binaries and released source for the Build engine on which it is based does not make it illegal. Since it has been rewritten in Java using the Build source as reference material (rather than a direct copy with modifications), there is no copyright infringement or GPL violation. Also, it's free.

Reply 28 of 86, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rumor is that illegally leaked Blood code went into it.

David_OSU wrote:

Since it has been rewritten in Java using the Build source as reference material (rather than a direct copy with modifications), there is no copyright infringement or GPL violation.

Generally this is done with a Chinese wall rather than direct use of the material. Java and C are similar enough that contamination is probably a real concern.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_wall#Re … rse_engineering

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29 of 86, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
David_OSU wrote:

Since it has been rewritten in Java

Not exactly true when it's still x86 assembly still used and only works on x86 platforms. Even the people hosting the forum for it say it's illegal.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 30 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any Idea, why the Duke3D and ShadowWarrior Winports from "JonoF" have sound issues on my ES1938 within Win98se.
The sound is "crackeling" and has "additional noises/hall effects". Definitely not playable at the moment.

Attachments

• Filename
    jfsw_20051009.zip
    File size
    827.58 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    jfduke3d_20051009.zip
    File size
    780.44 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32 of 86, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Even the people hosting the forum for it say it's illegal.

Interesting -- but if this is a crime, who is the victim? The author is giving it away, and it requires the original game data to run. This does no harm to current sellers of the game (it might increase sales).

Reply 33 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Tried reducing sound channels, sampling rate, or different drivers?

beside the driver for the soundcard, everything was tested, but nothing changes. (explosion... then "klack, klack, klack, klack" with full volume)

Reply 34 of 86, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
David_OSU wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Even the people hosting the forum for it say it's illegal.

Interesting -- but if this is a crime, who is the victim? The author is giving it away, and it requires the original game data to run. This does no harm to current sellers of the game (it might increase sales).

Illegal recreation of an artistic expression -- the same as forging a painting and passing it off as your own.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 35 of 86, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Tried reducing sound channels, sampling rate, or different drivers?

beside the driver for the soundcard, everything was tested, but nothing changes. (explosion... then "klack, klack, klack, klack" with full volume)

Maybe you're using an outdated or buggy driver for your soundcard. The driver library here has a lot of different drivers to try, so there might be one that will work properly for you.

Reply 37 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try the new version of ZDoom CLASSIC, i merged it with a fixed GL renderer from GZDoom 1.0.17. Should run on GL 1.1 hardware and could be fast on a pentium. I've added a lot of stuff BTW.

ZDoom CLASSIC

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 38 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:

Is there are Version of GZ-Doom which runs under WIn98se?
Does that version work with brutal doom and what version of brutal doom should I use.

Both ZDoom32 and ZDoom LE run on win98 and are capable of running BD and now have an OpenGL renderer. LE requires GL 1.2 support while ZDoom32 needs 2.0 and supports shaders. I recommend using my BD v20c patch to fix bugs and increase performance, recently i've fixed the game hung on deep water sectors bug and reduced the number of splashes for all liquids.

RUDE (Doom)