VOGONS

Common searches

I love DOSbox

Topic actions

First post, by tolworthy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to like DOSbox. My favorite old games worked on it. But I could never get Autodesk Animator Pro to work. (Animator Pro is my all time favorite software.) That's OK, DOSbox is free, games are the priority, and Animator does very demanding things with memory, so I didn't blame DOSbox. But I just downloaded the latest build of DOSbox, tried Animator, and IT WORKS! IT WORKS! 😀 😀 😀 😀 IT WORKS!!! Oh happy day! After all these years in the wilderness, at last my computer will do what it was born to do. I LOVE DOSbox! For the next few minutes I am the happiest man on earth. Thank you. You have made my life complete. 😀 😀 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

grum, useless ad plug from me, in the future Pentagram at http://pentagram.sf.net might be more fun to play Ultima 8 with (and the two Crusaders). But I'm biased 😀

And yes, I love Dosbox, too. After VDMS it is the light at the end of the dark, modern age tunnel 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dominus, sounds like you've been sticking your fingers in code I'd like to use when it is done. Any estimate when Pentagram is consumable? (Counting gameplay only - configuration/compatibility/compilation problems are non-issues for me)

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, to get very offtopic 😀
I'm not a programmer, I'm the guy who tries to write the documentation and the FAQ.
As of now Pentagram is already quite impressive, intro, music, sfx and voice effects work, scalers are implemented. A couple of months ago, someone played through the game, but he had to cheat sometimes and combat is still not the best. The story works, details are a bit hazy 😀
And this is all for Ultima 8 only right now. Crusader support is not existant, only theoretically. The "only" problem with Crusader is that the graphics file format is slightly different (as well as the spanish version of U8) but we do have it figured out, only it's easier to concentrate on U8 only for now.

Estimating I'd say another six months and the game should be enjoyable.

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As I said, scalers are already implemented, best contact colourless on irc for implementation of your scaler.
#pentagram on irc.freenode.net is the best place for it 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here, here, tolworthy! Let's hear it for the people who have given us XP-tired users a key to unlock the wonderful classic games of old!

Now don't get me wrong, I get excited when I see some new games with graphics that can hardly be distinguished from the real world

...but...there is still something magical about hearing the simple MIDI opening in the dos version of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade..."

...there's a thrill when I play Wrath of Eart that makes me feel like I'm really there - that even the fanciest X-Wing simulator can't touch...

...and It is still relaxing to hear my favorite MIDI songs, Mp3's, and even my Adventures in Odessy CD's in the simple, clean format of Opensource Cubic Player instead of WMP with all the bells and whistles.

From the bottom of my heart, to everyone who made this DOS emulator possible...-Thank You!-

...........................................................................................................
BTW: On the Indiana Jones game, the graphics are rather crude, but that version of the game is just -incredibly- close to the real movie's storyline! Seriously, almost word-for-word! Get it if you still can!

Give us a 640 x 480 screen, 256 colors, some time, and my own imagination...and we can *still* make exciting and beautiful games for decades to come.

Reply 9 of 10, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love DOSBox as well! It gives me the possibility to run my favourite game and try old programs and OS's I didn't have the possibility to use for several reasons

Reply 10 of 10, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love Dosbox, too. It has everything which is important. It is open, it is portable, it is evolving and it has a great community with many skilled co-developers as Gulikoza and Ykhwong. I also love them. 😘 Dosbox is the greatest oss-project I know.