VOGONS

First post, by AEV80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, just have some questions I'm hoping you can help me with or point me to the relevant thread.

I take it for dos games you generally need the following:
Adlib (OPL) compatible
Soundblaster Pro 2 compatible
Soundblaster 16 compatible
Soundblaster AWE32 / AWE64
Gravis Ultrasound
Plus say a Roland MT-32 and some other General Midi synth or waveboard.

1. For Adlib and SBPro games I was planning to use a Yamaha Audician 32.

2. Is the AWE32/AWE64 backwards compatible with all SB16 games? Do i really need to get a SB16 and if I do what''s a good clone (low noise) to get?

3. Are there any games that use OPL music with 16bit effects? Do I need a real OPL on a SB16 or AWE32 unless it's for playing games that came out pre SB16.

4. Are there any DOS games that actually used any extra RAM on the AWE32 above the 512Kb builtin (other than using Soundfonts for General Midi stuff)?

5. Is the AWE64 fully backwards compatible with the AWE32?

6. Are there many DOS games that actually used the features of the Gravis Ultrasound?

I'm open to all comments and advice.

Thanks guys.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) That's okay, I think.
2) Yes, I think so. No need to have both SBPro/SB16, except for demoscene stuff (SB Pro).
3) No real OPL required (except if you need authencity). Some Windows games used OPL music, too. (Warpath, Dominate!) PnP SBs can disable their OPL.
4) Few. If you like to use MT32/GM emulation, you *may* need a bit of additional RAM (say 1 or 2MB).
5) Yes. But driver versions could be different, don't know. Also, the SB32 is a cut-down AWE32 (limited effects).
6) Yes. They used it for high quality mixing on lower end hardware.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AEV80 wrote:

1. For Adlib and SBPro games I was planning to use a Yamaha Audician 32.

Good choice.

2. Is the AWE32/AWE64 backwards compatible with all SB16 games? Do i really need to get a SB16 and if I do what''s a good clone (low noise) to get?

Yes it is backwards compatible.
No you don't need a SB16 for DOS games because it's shit (in my honest personal opinion), SBPro is all you need.

3. Are there any games that use OPL music with 16bit effects? Do I need a real OPL on a SB16 or AWE32 unless it's for playing games that came out pre SB16.

DOS games? None, Zero Zip, Null.
You don't need a SB16.

6. Are there many DOS games that actually used the features of the Gravis Ultrasound?

Not many.
Go for a Sound Blaster Pro or a clone.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm feeling like a stuck record, but there's a few extra clarifications I'll add to what James-F said:
1) A few early Apogee games (Duke Nukem 2 and Major Stryker) used certain ADPCM sound modes for some effects that are not supported by Yamaha sound cards.
2) SB16 or AWE is by far the best way to play games using Asylum sound, particularly Crusader No Remorse and Crusader No Regret.

If neither of these things matter to you, then his advice stands.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder