VOGONS

First post, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a bit of an odd topic, I've started to bring together some parts for a computer I plan to call Neptune (after the canceled consumer version of Win2K). Intended operating system will be Windows 9x with a potential MS-DOS drive. I'm still down a few parts, but figured I would log what I currently have, because things should be speeding up soon.

The biggest question is a rather often asked question: Intel or AMD?

This is Intel. An ASUS TUSL2-C with a Pentium III-S 1.4GHz in socket. It will need some capacitors replaced, but all in all, a solid board based on i815's second step. However, there's a distinct lack of ISA slot.

This is AMD. An ABIT KT7 base with an Athlon 1Ghz in socket. I'm planning on looking for a 1.4GHz Thunderbird to even things out a bit. This board also needs some capacitors replaced, but it's a good VIA chipset board. Desirable due to that ISA slot, and it's capacity for more RAM.

I'm only building one computer right now. The other will go into storage, or to a local computer trade group I found the other day. I know loads of people here may immediately go for the AMD due to the ISA slot for DOS games, but I do have a bit of a trick.

I've got a Turtle Beach Montego II. Aureal's reference drivers include an interpreter for DOS, meaning that while it isn't native or amazing sounding, real-mode DOS games could use the Vortex II as a SoundBlaster compatible. If this doesn't work... I'll be on the hunt for some form of SoundBlaster ISA card when I'm around. Or, I don't know of too many real-mode DOS games I'll be playing. In this case, I'd rather have the nicer Windows experience...

Here are some drives. I scavenged a DVD-RW, a ZIP100, and a 40GB 7200RPM drive from my old PowerMac G4. The disc drive and hard drive were my own upgrades anyways. But I've also got this beast of a hard disk. Quantum Bigfoot TS 12.7GB. If I do end up with the AMD board, I'm probably going to load this drive with DOS specific titles and keep Windows stuff separate completely.

I have a ton of RAM, mostly PC133 CL3, but I have put in an order for 2x256MB PC133 CL2. We'll see about that.

And the only other stable thing in the build: a really lucky local find. Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB. Supposedly working, because I don't have a computer to test it in (and neither did the seller) I got it for 20$. I also have a Rage 128 and an Inno3d GeForce 2 MX 200, but I'm definitely going to look for either a nicer GF2, or perhaps a 3 or 4.

Still on the look out for a nice old case, and a power supply with a strong enough 5v and 12v rail. I've learned about a computer trade group that deals primarily in older stuff that meets tomorrow, I'm going to look there for some of the missing pieces!

But this is a start!

Last edited by atariangamer on 2017-06-18, 14:47. Edited 1 time in total.

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 1 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You had me all excited. I thought you were going to build a system around the Intel Neptune chipset.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 8, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

You had me all excited. I thought you were going to build a system around the Intel Neptune chipset.

I wish! I haven't seen one in awhile.

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 3 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe the KT133 chipset supports Palomino and above, although the CPUs in question would be underclocked due to the slower FSB. Might be a better option from a power consumption standpoint than a TBird.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 8, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, today was a productive evening. Found a cheap powersupply to do testing with. I know it'll provide enough power for the Pentium III board, but I am wary of the AMD's 5v requirement. Is 20a enough?

I got everything together, and had to use a really shoddy cooler for my CPUs... and booted up both boards with a GF2 MX200 and a Logitech keyboard. They both worked! The AMD board has a 1GHz Athlon, and Intel is the 1.4GHz PIII-S I bought recently. However, the Intel board had an obviously leaking cap right next to the CPU, and the AMD board had two nearly burst ones next to the AGP slot, and one by a mosfet near the center of the board.

I haven't soldered in years, and without a proper bench to use (and something to hold the motherboard for me), it took quite awhile... but the caps are out. And I burnt my finger. 😒 So on that note I'm stopping for now, because I still need to source both a socket 370 and a Socket A cooler. It would be nice to find a screw-in Socket A, because the tabs for the heatsink are broken. The 370 ones are fine.

In fact, anyone have a good place to find older style CPU coolers? I bought one for cheap and there's no way it'll fit my CPU

Reply 6 of 8, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
atariangamer wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Why is the Neptune interesting? I happen to have one.

Reply 7 of 8, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@elod: The first retro computer I pulled apart had a 100Mhz Pentium and this 430NX chipset. I find it interesting simply by coincidence.

~

More parts accumulated! I found a 5v@30A power supply for cheap, hopefully supplying more headroom for the Athlon board. I also received my 133MHz CL2 RAM in the mail, 2x256MB SDRAM. And on a whim, I visited a computer shop I had checked before, but this time explicitly asked if they had older computers. Picked up a nice full ATX mid-tower, a floppy drive, and some new IDE cables for 10$! It also contained a dead Core 2 motherboard and a 200W PSU (how did this work).

I kept looking for CPU coolers, but never found anything quite like what I needed, so I just bit the bullet and picked up one Intel and one AMD cooler from Ebay.

I ordered quite a few capacitor replacements, just in case, but the nicer Rubycon ones took longer to ship..? Either way, I'm fast approaching actually getting a build together.

Reply 8 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elod wrote:
atariangamer wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Why is the Neptune interesting? I happen to have one.

It is the first chipset for socket 5.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/chip/pop/g5iI430NX-c.html

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.