VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I want to add a second hard drive with ms-dos 6.22 to a winxp PC, how I can add dos boot option in winxp boot.ini file to have option to boot the ms-dos on the second hard drive instead of winxp when I want?

Reply 2 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically - you can't. MS-DOS not boots from logical drives or non-first HDDs. 1st primary partition of the 1st HDD only.
Three ways:
1) IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS are very small so just install them on C: (as BOOTLOADER.DOS, IO.DOS and MSDOS.DOS). And use all others MSDOS files from the 2nd HDD (CONFIG.SYS SHELL= command and %COMSPEC% and %PATH% environment variables). Then you can add MSDOS to the WinXp boot menu.
P.S. C: must be FAT16 if you boot MS-DOS from it. So this method isn't very good.
2) Use BIOS Boot selector (commonly Alt+F12) and select the 2nd HDD as the boot device.
3) Use bootable floppy/flash.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 11, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it should work with Dos 7 (from win98se).

I installed it on the 3rd Partition on my Pc.

Partition 1 is WinXP (NTFS)
Partition 2 is Ubuntu (ext)
Partition 3 is Win98/Dos 7 (Fat32)
Partition 4 is Swap

Then i extracted the Bootsector from a Win98 boot disk (floppy)
and added it to boot.ini.

When selecting Win98 in Bootmenu, the floppy searches, gives an error (don't know why), But after pressing space it boots from HDD.

Reply 4 of 11, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gamescollector: Maybe if the has no option to boot from second hdd in bios, a programm like PLOP on a boot-floppy, CD-ROM or bootable USB-Stick might help.

It lets you choose the HDD or CD-Rom or USB you will boot from.

Reply 5 of 11, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another alternative is a third party boot manager, such as System Commander 7, that would allow you to install MS-DOS on a 2nd drive/partition.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are lots of guides out there for editing Boot.ini. In theory, all you would need is a line like
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\DOS="MS-DOS 6.22" /w95dos

Googling for extra details is left as an exercise.

Reply 7 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PC comes with OEM winXP and 160GB hard drive with C: and D: partitions. The motherboard has ISA slots, so I thought I could add dos compatibility to it by adding an ISA sound card and second hard drive that has dos 6.22. I just recently found this PC so I am still considering what to do with it.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

The motherboard has ISA slots, so I thought I could add dos compatibility to it by adding an ISA sound card and second hard drive that has dos 6.22.

It's distinctly possible that the CPU is too fast to be useful for DOS gaming, but that all depends on what games you want to run.

Reply 9 of 11, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't you assign the DOS drive as primary master, and the XP drive as primary slave or secondary master, then use the recovery console on the XP CD to set up a boot sector and bootloader on the DOS drive? This is of course assuming that BOOTCFG can detect DOS 6.22.

I think the process goes something like "FIXBOOT C:", "FIXMBR", "FIXBOOT C:" again, then "BOOTCFG /REBUILD", all entered from the Recovery Console.