VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or XP? Through several systems, I have never seen these two cards- which work 100% fine SLI on win98- work on 2K or XP together. They are not the same manufactuer, but are the same model- both being 12mb units.

I tried the 4.00 drivers and Koolsmoky’s Voodoo2 XP driver, what else should I try? Is it just impossible to SLi two non-matching cards under 2k?

E: This only needs to be for Glide, so the drivers lacking DX support is totally fine.

Reply 1 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Koolsmoky's driver works absolutely fine with mismatched SLI under XP.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well then what's the deal here? DXDIAG detects nothing for D3D, Glide doesn't work at all- and I found a Geforce patched Glide2x.dll and plopped that in system32 too, so I don't get it.

No errors under device manager. Glide just... doesn't work, at all. (Using the Donut test, which works fine on Win98.)

Reply 3 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works ok in WinXpSp3 for me.
Official Voodoo2 W2k drivers 1.02.00.
You must set fxgpio and fxcpl drivers as system ("Start"="1"). With regedit or Control Panel\System\Device manager.

P.S. I have tested up to G45 Express/Core2Duo E8500. 1.02.00 isn't affected by CPU speed bug.
P.S.S. Use glide2x\test00.exe from Diagnostics Kit to test the glide API presence.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Test report: Works fine with /one/ voodoo 2, but SLi is borked on 2k.
Historically, with these cards, it's always been like this- through at least a dozen systems and installs of 2K/XP. Is it just never gonna work?

It works fine on 98SE so this bugs me to no end ;-;

E: and no, disabling one in device manager doesn't help.

Reply 5 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have you tired the fastvoodoo drivers?
https://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/drivers/

SLI works for me in 2k, although the drivers do support mismatched cards I have a matching pair.

Reply 6 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did yeah, honestly I just gave up- 3/4 different systems, different drivers, and switching master/slave for either of them? These cards clearly just don't play right under NT together.

Or for that matter in Mac OS.

Reply 7 of 11, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

never had a significant issue running V2 Sli under xp - just load the latest Koolsmoky's driver for both cards via the device manager and glide is good to go (opengl will need some standalone driver though, ICD, wickedgl or mesafx). remember, there will be no D3D or control panel (Leinen V2 tweaker should work ok). also the cards should be identical if possible, and each card should be checked on its own to make sure it fully works. swapping the cards might help if they aren't identical.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 10 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
voodoo47 wrote:

also, are you actually enabling mismatched support when using Koolsmoky's drivers?

Set SSTV2_MISMATCHED_SLI = 1 for mismatched SLI support.

This

Also cards with different Ram, clock speeds or PCB layouts may not play well together even after enabling mismatched SLI support.

Reply 11 of 11, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah, if wanting to run a V2 sli reliably, you really should be running matched cards. anyway, to sum it up;

-use Koolsmoky's driver
-make sure each card works by itself
-hook them up in sli, and Set SSTV2_MISMATCHED_SLI=1 either via a batch file for each game or directly in the registry
-if that won't work, try swapping the cards (use the secondary as primary and vice versa)
-try a different sli cable

if nothing will help, then you simply can't run these two particular cards in sli - while rare, this can happen, and your only option is probably hitting ebay and trying to find a match for one of the cards (be prepared to shell out $50 or more, voodoo card prices are nuts lately).

3Dfx Help Page