VOGONS

First post, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJfoyato1Ac

A while back I tried to get a thread going about MAXX compatibility, and that issue feeds into one of several quirks that I talk about here. I can't say I'm a fan of using this card as a regular retro driver. It's just way too unpredictable.

Anyway let me know what you guys think! This will be the last video for a while as I'm dealing with a difficult move, and won't have an environment for filming during that time.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 2 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Come to think of it this is one shining example of graphics cards that have came out that made their owners Rage when they realized that they should have saved their money for a little longer and gotten something much nicer. Cool to have but my money goes after other things before prices balloon anymore than they have.

If you want a modern odd ball of a card look for a FX 4700 X2 as they are pretty rare and are basically a 9800 GX2 but with twice the vram, dvi outputs, and independent cooling for each gpu rather than a large shared block. For odd performance and rare the S3 Savage 2000 is pretty scarce these days.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't say I'm a fan of using this card as a regular retro driver. It's just way too unpredictable.

Just as any AFR solution even to this day. Macrostuttering is related to a lack of vsyns though. Triple buffered vsync with some framerate limiter will improve things greatly.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 9, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Just as any AFR solution even to this day. Macrostuttering is related to a lack of vsyns though. Triple buffered vsync with some framerate limiter will improve things greatly.

But if you go that far you're basically hampering performance in the hopes of getting a smoothER experience. At that point just go with a better single-chip card. Not that you wouldn't agree, I'm just saying.

I've had some ideas after making that video that perhaps certain chipsets provide varying degrees of compatibility. You might get the card WORKING on a SiS chipset but the results might still be better on the more era-appropriate 440BX. No one at the time of reviewing the card noted issues with Quake 3 (they did with UT, however).

Graphics Card Database

Reply 5 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At that point just go with a better single-chip card.

MultiGPU solutions are short lived in general and usually inproduced when other options are depleted (increasing transistors, clocks, etc).

But if you go that far you're basically hampering performance in the hopes of getting a smoothER experience.

Voodoo 2 in SLI were pretty much useless without vsyns, so I don't see why Rage MAXX should be treated differently.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 9, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Voodoo 2 in SLI were pretty much useless without vsyns, so I don't see why Rage MAXX should be treated differently.

Ah, I have not had the privilege of playing with a Voodoo 2 SLI setup yet. I know my Voodoo 5 behaves as well as a single-chip solution, but that may be a result of later refinements.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 7 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx SLI scales well. Unfortunately it isn't compatible with newer rendering techniques. But yeah it still has some quirks and you are better off with a Voodoo 3 than Voodoo 2 SLI for various reasons anyway.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
SRQ wrote:

I use a Voodoo 2 SLi for Quake 2 and some other games and never had any issues, never saw any tearing at all.

A lot of things can make differences in how a multi gpu systems runs.

I had screen tearing with two 295s, but newer drivers fixed it.
I had tearing with two voodoo2 in a newer system, but not in a older on.

Games can make a difference too. I never had screen tears in quake 2 and 3 but ut99 was a different story..
I guess it's all relevant.