VOGONS

First post, by goglxy.27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a SVGA Compaq S710 model CRT from about 2001 which has resolutions that go up to 1280x1024 and down to 640x350.

I plan on using my monitor on an old dual-boot dos6.22/windows 95 pentium pc, but was wondering if there were ever any big differences between monitors around 1991-1995 and 2000-2001 etc?

I plan on playing 1990-1996 era games such as, Doom, the Commander Keen series, Rayman, and Alien Rampage and more.

I wonder if some of those games would look too pixelated being played on the newer (albeit, not lcd) crts? I know they'll be pixelated to some degree for their time, but to what extent?

Because, I have heard that there's a retro console gaming community, such as for the old nes, that made a big deal about games taking advantage of scanlines and pixel-bleeding and so on and therefore were less pixelated.

Obviously, I'm gonna conclude that monitors tended to be sharper than tvs, but still wondering if there's anything I need to know?

Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The big differences were typically moving the analog knobs into buttons and sometimes an onscreen display (sometimes with saving of configuration per detected video mode). That's pretty much the primary obvious difference (and these differences began mostly in 1995-97, so it's not exactly out of the ordinary for a Pentium build)

and of course you get into the differences between all these differing vendors with differing shadow masks, the blurrier dot pitch in early monitors etc...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At higher resolutions like 640x480 (Yes this is actually pretty high compared to even consoles like the Genesis/Mega Drive) this begins to matter a lot less. I see 0 problem with using that monitor with a DOS or Windows machine.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also make sure the pinouts of both the VGA card and the monitor do match.
I'm speaking under correction, but I believe the meaning of the extra pins changed over the years.
Could quite be possible some of them (DDC, Monitor ID, etc.) are now accidently grounded.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Who knows ? In case of doubt, someone just makes a basic adapter with RGBHV wiring.
As far as I know, there must have been at leat ~four different VGA generations..

vga_pins_zpsdcef2452.jpg

Edit: Hm.. Was looking for that chart of mine, but can't find it right now.
Anyway, here are two links that show original and new VGA pinouts.:

http://what-when-how.com/display-interfaces/a … display-part-1/
http://what-when-how.com/display-interfaces/s … erfaces-part-1/

As we see, some of the pins like "test", "monitor id" got re-purposed for DDC1.
No big deal, but good to know nevertheless. 😀

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 9, by goglxy.27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow... didn't know I could learn this much just from posting.

I have another question...

I have Compaq S710 PE1123 Model CRT Monitor and I plan on getting a used PC with a QDI-P5I430TX-250 model motherboard from about 1998.

Would that have a compatible VGA port?

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goglxy.27 wrote:

I have Compaq S710 PE1123 Model CRT Monitor and I plan on getting a used PC with a QDI-P5I430TX-250 model motherboard from about 1998.

Would that have a compatible VGA port?

Sure, no problem. 😀

I was thinking of mixing early VGA stuff from the late 80s/early90s with more modern stuff..
Sometimes there are minor issues, like the screen beeing beeing monochrome and such.

That's why I was hinting about the possibility of compatibility issues. But it's no big deal, really.
If you ever encounter issues you can make an adapter. Either by making a cable or by using a 1:1 adapter/gender changer:

Just modify the adapter in a way, that only RGB, H/V-sync and ground(s) do remain. And maybe the ID-pin for colour also.
That's about the same as old professional monitors were connected (they had separate BNC connectors for RGB/HV/GND).

So don't worry, if it's a PCI or later VGA card everything should be fine.
I don't know about EISA/Vesa Local Bus cards, though. With these it's perhaps better to check the datasheets a little bit. 😉

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 9, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, my Trio32 works perfectly fine.

By looking at the pinouts I have real heavy doubt that anything would go wrong TBH. I have never had an issue, even when mixing an early 1990's IBM CRT with newer tech.