VOGONS


Working Windows 98 Emulator with 3D-Acceleration?

Topic actions

  • This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I tried PCem, DOSBox, VirtualBox and VMware. PCem is slow and has bugs in games. DOSBox not good for Windows 9x because some games not working. I tried the same old Windows game in VirtualBox and VMware. VirtualBox can't even run game in Windows XP (No 3D Card). VMware runs but it's not playable. Is there any other Emulator which works 100% for old games?

Reply 1 of 13, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think for 3d in XP inside Virtualbox you need the Guest Addons installed.

It works, for example i use XP in a VM and Play Need for Speed 2 SE with Nglide or Dgvoodoo.

But the best Solution for old Games is to find a Patch to run it on Win7/10/.....

PCem / 86box is the most Compatible Emulator...

have you tried your games with voodoo1 and voodoo2 emulation? Maybe one works better than other.

Reply 4 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sandi1987 wrote:

VirtualBox can't even run game in Windows XP (No 3D Card).

Not an ironic question, I honestly thought otherwise: Then what is the "Enable 3D acceleration" checkbox doing? Isn't it a pass-through to the host's graphics card?

About nglide, it definitely runs perfectly in today's windows. Actually it is designed for such usage.

Reply 7 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sandi1987 wrote:

Why is PCem slow?

Because emulating a PC is complicated.

Will be PCem always slow?

Why do you think anyone here would know?

Is there any other Emulator with 3DFX?

Bochs has Voodoo emulation support, but it's even slower than PCem.

Reply 8 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sandi1987 wrote:

Why is PCem slow? I have good computer and i can't Emulate Pentium MMX 233. Even sound lagging at Windows startup.
Will be PCem always slow? Is there any other Emulator with 3DFX? In DOSBox many Windows 9x games doesn't work.

86Box, a popular PCem fork, has got optimized binaries for certain processors.. 😉

Sandi1987 wrote:

I have good computer and i can't Emulate Pentium MMX 233. Even sound lagging at Windows startup.

Pentium MMX 233 ? 😳 My, I'm grateful and happy vanilla PCem can almost emulate a 486DX50 at full speed,
despite the fact I'm stuck with a 12 years old Ahtlon 64 X2 (K9 architecture). 😁

Wait, here's an older picture from an earlier thread (#548524):

Attachments

  • pcemw311.png
    Filename
    pcemw311.png
    File size
    52.41 KiB
    Views
    6021 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sandi1987 wrote:

Watch this:

What's your point? You've already noticed that "In DOSBox many Windows 9x games doesn't work." They work in PCem because PCem is more accurate. PCem is also slower because it is more accurate. That's just how it is.