VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17901 of 52743, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CS4232 chip can also be commonly found with FM provided by a Dream SA MIDI synth chip.

SnR is good on that chip, but the 4289 doesn't do MIDI, just FM and 3d effects.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17903 of 52743, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Revision A or B? Looks like B, so it's AGP 4x compatible.

Both are Rev B. You can kinda make out a B in that picture, a little smudged.

I think tomorrow, I'm going to go back for that non-POSTing 486 system. First thing is to desolder that barrel battery somehow.

Reply 17904 of 52743, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I have that CS4232 card. What makes the CS4232 desirable is that it does NOT have integrated OPL3, and it normally found paired with a real Yamaha OPL3 chip. This card however is special, because it uses a second Crystal Semiconductors chip to provide both a crappy wavetable and their own proprietary version of OPL3. I also wouldn't hold my breath on the SNR of that card. Although the chip may produce a clean sound, the layout of the card is obviously optimised to save as much money on PCB as possible, which is a sign other components may be of low quality.

Wow, raining on my parade and crushing my dreams 😜 Is the CS4289 wavetable software only, or does it work in DOS/General MIDI as well? I'll have to try and see how good/bad it sounds and how accurate the CS4289 OPL3 is.

Maybe have a look at this thread: A pile of new soundcards for my 486.

I guess the CS4289 does not have wavetable afterall. I must have been confusing it with another tiny IC that provides wavetable on IBM branded CS4236 cards.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17905 of 52743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Schucks. Oh well. Just another ISA card for the eventual ISA sound card OPL3 comparison I hope to do one day. Maybe I'll just do a bulk contribution to the Great OPL3 Run as well. Need to put that 486 together ASAP.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17906 of 52743, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A PMMX200 which works at 275(110*2.5). Won't do 300 unfortunately.

Attachments

• PMMX200.png
    Filename
    PMMX200.png
    File size
    2.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17907 of 52743, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received GUS in revision that was missing in my collection - 3.74.
Now I don't have only 2.4 revision to complete GUS Classic collection.

Attachments

• BATYRA_GUSClassic374.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_GUSClassic374.jpg
    File size
    521.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GUS Classic 3.74 (last revision)
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17908 of 52743, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ can't wait to see your site go live, you have gathered quite the collection!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17909 of 52743, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just received this item:

mm16 1.jpg
Filename
mm16 1.jpg
File size
38.92 KiB
Views
File license

...which is a MIDI mixer/editor that can also be used to easily program various synths using SysEx. These include Kawai's more popular synths, but you can also create your own programs so it can be used on any synth that accepts MIDI SysEx.

However, I am less than pleased with the proxy service that I've been using for longer than a decade 😠 . Since the start of 2017 every single of their parcels sent to me have been badly packed with very little padding (1-2 sheets of bubble wrap) between the items and the box, and requests for more padding are systematically ignored (despite earlier complaints about item damage). They've also managed to get themselves flagged by Dutch customs by putting ridiculously low values on very large parcels 😵 . Guess it's time to switch services...
(or: how to lose a customer)

Reply 17910 of 52743, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ can't wait to see your site go live, you have gathered quite the collection!

Hehe... Rumors are spreading fast 😁 - website should be done by the end of holiday. At the beginning some description and recording may be missing but galery etc will be running.
I'll let you all know.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17911 of 52743, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB AGP with Zalman Cooler*
Arctic Cooling Socket 370 CPU heatsink
USB 2.0 PCI expansion card with Windows 2000 Support.
iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit

I'll consider before to buy or not:
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 in pure black with glass window. A good alternative to BitFenix Aurora because i want to keep the optical drive (IDE DVD-RW Burner) to rid off my old Antec Sonata I computer case.
BitFenix RGB 60 cm LED Strips + Controller and 60 cm to extend.
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal grease

It's all for my current Tualatin Build.

*) I could not find everywhere in Internet for the Zalman Cooler only sadly... but a bundle with Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB is cheap luckily. x3

Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 17913 of 52743, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the route I take to visit some family in New Jersey, there's an out/indoor flea market that also has a building with spaces you can rent to sell stuff in. One was occupied by a friendly old Russian guy who gave me boxes of HW and an old IBM Aptiva I restored for $40, but this time he was either closed or not there anymore. However, there's a retro video game store there with a computer repair place built in, and every now and then they drag some random old hardware out of the back and sell it to me. The guy has mentioned there are literal mounds of parts he still has to sort through, so let's hope he finds something good! 😀

Anyway, this is what he dragged out today. Three crusty graphics cards and a couple CPUs with some bent pins I need to fix for the sum of $10.

Top CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (socket A), bottom is an Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939).

GPUs are a mystery still as I am still away from home. Top PCI card is PNY branded, middle one says it's a "NVIDIA P118" (apparently a Dell OEM), and bottom is just NVIDIA branded. Can anyone help what they might be?

Attachments

• pcstuff.jpg
    Filename
    pcstuff.jpg
    File size
    383.26 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17914 of 52743, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

GPUs are a mystery still as I am still away from home. Top PCI card is PNY branded, middle one says it's a "NVIDIA P118" (apparently a Dell OEM), and bottom is just NVIDIA branded. Can anyone help what they might be?

Bottom 2 are GeForce 4 MX cards I think.

Reply 17916 of 52743, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this today. It's a Digital PC 5000(5510 ST). It's my very first Pentium 2. I never owned one back in the nineties.

My brother picked it up for me off Craigslist before visiting here on vacation, so technically it's not from today.

It has these goodies inside:
Pentium II 233 MMX with 96 Megs of ram.
Integrated MGA 64 ( 2 megs )
Integrated Crystal Sound -- now I need to buy 3 Sound Blaster cards -- the speaker built in is more like what I've had on my Macs.
PCI Cirrus Logic CL-GD5480 ( This card has TV capability. 😀 )
EISA Adaptec SCSI AVA-1505a
EISA WTF??? XILINX FPGA -- I have NO CLUE how to even use this thing. At first I thought it was for capturing raw data from a camera.

The mother board is two parts, one of which slides out -- very convinient. And the jumpers are little switches which are very easy to access -- this rocks, it's a first for me. It also has an AGP slot, which is in a weird location IMO. I had to get past the password in Windows 95 and clear the BIOS pass, but that's out of the way, so now I just need to clean it up.

digital_5000_case.jpg
Filename
digital_5000_case.jpg
File size
392.88 KiB
Views
File license
digital_5000_case_open.jpg
Filename
File size
465.94 KiB
Views
File license
digital_5000_mobo.jpg
Filename
digital_5000_mobo.jpg
File size
610.43 KiB
Views
File license
digital_5000_cl_gd5480.jpg
Filename
File size
627.94 KiB
Views
File license

This card confuses me:

digital_5000_xilinx.jpg
Filename
digital_5000_xilinx.jpg
File size
631 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 17917 of 52743, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That card is an interface for a spectrometer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interface-Bench-ISA-c … 55714137?_ul=BO

I'm not sure that AGP slot is really agp, might be somethig proprietry?

MCGA wrote:
I got this today. It's a Digital PC 5000(5510 ST). It's my very first Pentium 2. I never owned one back in the nineties. […]
Show full quote

I got this today. It's a Digital PC 5000(5510 ST). It's my very first Pentium 2. I never owned one back in the nineties.

My brother picked it up for me off Craigslist before visiting here on vacation, so technically it's not from today.

It has these goodies inside:
Pentium II 233 MMX with 96 Megs of ram.
Integrated MGA 64 ( 2 megs )
Integrated Crystal Sound -- now I need to buy 3 Sound Blaster cards -- the speaker built in is more like what I've had on my Macs.
PCI Cirrus Logic CL-GD5480 ( This card has TV capability. 😀 )
EISA Adaptec SCSI AVA-1505a
EISA WTF??? XILINX FPGA -- I have NO CLUE how to even use this thing. At first I thought it was for capturing raw data from a camera.

The mother board is two parts, one of which slides out -- very convinient. And the jumpers are little switches which are very easy to access -- this rocks, it's a first for me. It also has an AGP slot, which is in a weird location IMO. I had to get past the password in Windows 95 and clear the BIOS pass, but that's out of the way, so now I just need to clean it up.

digital_5000_case.jpg
digital_5000_mobo.jpg

This card confuses me:

digital_5000_xilinx.jpg
Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2017-07-21, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 17918 of 52743, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, they want like 800 bucks for that! 😖 I don't have that cable, but I'm going to see if there's any software on the HD. I wonder if there's really a market for this thing given it's so old?

It's an AGP slot. I was confused about it at first, but it's listed as such on the side panel and also labeled on the board. And there's a removable back plate for the VGA port. 😀

digital_5000_agp_port.jpg
Filename
digital_5000_agp_port.jpg
File size
500.52 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 17919 of 52743, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a networking-like card which has a 386 mounted on it and is only used by professionnal and that is sold apparently for 750 to 1k$

Since this used by professionals only, I'm not surprised

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative