VOGONS

Reply 1180 of 4609, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
Rawrl wrote:

It looks to me from the pictures that the lock is already turned to the unlocked position. Did you try to open the case?

Of course, I unscrewed the two back screws, but the lock holds the side panel in place like it should when it's locked. Like all of us in this forum I am very curious what's inside and the condition. From the looks of the outside, I am guessing all the internals are in good shape and just have a few decades of dust on them. From what I understand it sat for most of its life in one spot as a print server, but no one really knows for sure. The repair shop it is sitting in has tons of the smaller PC case keys, but none of the larger keys required by this era server case.

Are you talking about the small lock on the front? This is the keyboard lock and has for sure nothing to do with the case...? It just prevents the keyboard from being used when opened.

Reply 1181 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Are you talking about the small lock on the front? This is the keyboard lock and has for sure nothing to do with the case...? It just prevents the keyboard from being used when opened.

Funny you posted this because I just realized that is the case. (no pun intended) That is just the keyboard lock because I used a paper clip to turn the key and nothing happened. I should have remembered that is just the keyboard lock. I have seen some cases of this era have key locks that lock down the side panel as well. I am at loss at this point as to why the side panel will not come off. There are two screws in the back, which I removed, and that's it. The back of the side panel is loose when you remove the screws, but something is holding down the front of the side panel. Usually when I run across old server cases they have a lock that is attached to a latch bar that holds the side panel in place and why I initially thought this case was like that. There are two screws on the bottom as well, but they do not loosen the side panel when unscrewed. The only other screws are the four that hold in the PSU and the screws where all the case port holes are holding in the face plates. It's a puzzle.

BUT THEN...

I realized I did not pull hard enough on the front panel which pulled off like a regular PC case. It was really stiff. Problem solved. It has been almost 20 years since I have dealt with a case like this so don't judge. So this case is not as locked down as some, but it still has great looks IMO.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-07-21, 19:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1184 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
luckybob wrote:

DON'T TELL ME WHAT'S INSIDE! I want it to be a surprise!

Lipz R sealed.

PM ME IT OR SOMETHING I NEED TO KNOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1185 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:
liqmat wrote:
luckybob wrote:

DON'T TELL ME WHAT'S INSIDE! I want it to be a surprise!

Lipz R sealed.

PM ME IT OR SOMETHING I NEED TO KNOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I heard from a little birdie that luckybob will be doing a video on it in a few weeks. The great unveiling! Mwahahaha...

Reply 1186 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I picked up a Dell XPS T700 with a Rage Pro, 768MB, and a pretty cool USB 2.0 card 3.5 media reader combo. Very clean case too.

Also a "parts" lot of some junk laptop parts which I was hoping to get a few good ones out of, but it doesn't look like it. What made it worth it is a bunch of 2.5 sata drives. I got 4x 500GB, at least 4x 320GB, a 640GB and a WD Black 250GB. If they all work that will be a nice addition to my server since I really need more space.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1187 of 4609, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have something to add to this!

Found in a CL add for free. Told the guy to let me know if he finds anything similar (he's cleaning out/remodeling his house), and he said he's pretty sure he's got some more stuff. Fingers crossed!

It's got:

-Mini-tower case with turbo/LCD, but has a crack in faceplate
-Lite-on 20VO motherboard
-Cyrix 6x86 MX 75 Mhz CPU
-Intel Ethernet card
-Soundblaster 16 ISA card, CT2290
-Orchid Farenheit 1280 1MB? video card
-No RAM or HDD

I haven't tried it out yet, might clean it up and see what happens soon though. I think the thumbnail thingy is making the first picture horizontal, but it should be vertical.

IMG_2095.JPG
Filename
IMG_2095.JPG
File size
814.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_2101.JPG
Filename
IMG_2101.JPG
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File comment
Cards/CPU
File license
IMG_2097.JPG
Filename
IMG_2097.JPG
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File comment
Innards
File license
IMG_2102.JPG
Filename
IMG_2102.JPG
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File comment
Board
File license

Reply 1188 of 4609, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tizzdizz wrote:

Actually 150MHz; 75MHz printed on the chip actually refers to the FSB.

Strange; ISA video card from 1991, Intel chipset motherboard (meaning it won't do higher than 66MHz FSB officially), and 6x86MX? It might be the owner upgraded this machine several times (perhaps it started as a 486).

Reply 1189 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tizzdizz wrote:
I have something to add to this! […]
Show full quote

I have something to add to this!

Found in a CL add for free. Told the guy to let me know if he finds anything similar (he's cleaning out/remodeling his house), and he said he's pretty sure he's got some more stuff. Fingers crossed!

It's got:

-Mini-tower case with turbo/LCD, but has a crack in faceplate
-Lite-on 20VO motherboard
-Intel Ethernet card
-Soundblaster 16 ISA card, CT2290
-Orchid Farenheit 1280 1MB? video card
-No RAM or HDD

I haven't tried it out yet, might clean it up and see what happens soon though. I think the thumbnail thingy is making the first picture horizontal, but it should be vertical.

IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG

Nice sticker 🤣 🤣 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1191 of 4609, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

I heard from a little birdie that luckybob will be doing a video on it in a few weeks. The great unveiling! Mwahahaha...

I'm looking forward to this!!!!!!

Reply 1192 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

As am I. That said the faster I sell this stuff on ePay, the sooner I get the money to pay for shipping and the sooner everyone else gets to see whats inside.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1193 of 4609, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

As am I. That said the faster I sell this stuff on ePay, the sooner I get the money to pay for shipping and the sooner everyone else gets to see whats inside.

I had that same system 😊 I know what's inside it.
Dare I spill the beans? 😲

Reply 1194 of 4609, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

They must also be conservative about computer hardware. 🤣

Considering he used an ISA video card in a system that supported PCI, I'd say so. 🤣

Reply 1195 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
luckybob wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

well, maybe they upgraded it. so lets just sit on our hands and wait. i'll need to get my REAL IBM model 80 ous as a side by side.comparison.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1196 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
luckybob wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Considering I've already opened it, no one knows what's inside as it is a self build. The main attraction here is the case which is a clone of the IBM Model 80 which I personally have never seen a clone case like this. As a matter of fact when I first saw this sitting in a dark corner I assumed it was an IBM model which it is not. What's inside is just a side show. I especially like the LED panel and buttons. Looking forward to luckybob turning it on and doing a video on it regardless. It should be fun.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-07-25, 13:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1197 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a Toshiba Satellite Pro for free. It's a Pentium II 233, BX chipset, S3 Virge video and sound is listed as 'Chipsets: Yamaha OPL3-SA3'. Don't know what that means, hope it has DOS support. Might be a fun thing to play some games on in the living room! Boots just fine, starting Windows takes forever and the battery is shot.

Specs are here: http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome? … Text=1073769782

1982 to 2001

Reply 1198 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure your laptop uses the exact same chip as the Audician 32 ! Lucky you !

I've many laptops but most of them are broken or are just crap ... The best one I own is a Toshiba Satellite 210CDS ... but it has this awful CSTN screen and it's floppy drive is dead 🙁

Recently I did find a dell laptop that seemed nice, but it just doesn't want to power on for some reason 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1199 of 4609, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 1.13.00 AM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 1.13.00 AM.png
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license

i found this card, seems to be a matrox video capture card, no use for this and no cables, but interesting anyways.