Topic actions

Reply 18000 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I found my self something feather rare. A baby AT 440bx motherboard with 2 isa, 4 pci and one agp. And it supports overclocking
Only paid 10$ For it.

Are they rare? I still have mine from back in the day (Gigabyte 6BA).

My apologies for the little bit late reply.AT BX boards were relatively hard to find 12+ years ago. Maybe 98% of all AT systems I came across that was Pentium or above, was without AGP. Those that had AGP, most would be s7 or ss7. Of the leftovers for AT, most would be LX or PC Chips. I'd say AT BX was always uncommon, I would basically never come across AT BX boards locally.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My V3 that I got for $15 BIN mislabeled as a rage xl was mysteriously "lost" by the sellers mail carrier and never made it to the post office. I was refunded and I'm pissed about it. The seller lost nothing, they realized they sold something at a fair, non scalping value and committed fraud by not honoring the legally agreed upon price.

I'll be watching that seller and if that card shows up in another auction I'll be opening a scamming case with eBay.

At this rate, I'm never going to be able to get a V3 card for a reasonable price. Is one glide capable card without spending $50+ dollars too much to ask in this world?

Just to add to this (I'll keep it short), I think many of us have experienced something like this.
I once bought a small lot of 3.5in floppy drives for cheaps, but the seller caught on that these were actually PC-compatible 2.88MB floppy drives. In the end he send me an excuse and refunded me for the most part, but still send me a single drive.

I didn't bother with the "lost" drives, as I know this would end up getting veeeery tiresome with a good chance it would not be worth it in the end.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18001 of 52354, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz - SLAN3 (10 years in a few months so it's at least old 😜 )

The CPU ended up costing about 43 euro including shipping which I find a decent price.

Still a good processor. You could modern game on it easily if combined with a good motherboard and GPU. Games haven't really increased in CPU demand a whole lot since 2012. Games actually became better optimized for quad core usage after 2013 when the new gen consoles had came out.

I recently tried this about a month ago. My main computer had died and I pulled out one of my older computers.. a LGA-775 system, with a 12MB 775 quad core computer, harpertown, clocked at 3.75 ghz. I tried playing GTA-V with my big R9 290X and while it did run... it had all 4 cores at 99%/100% the entire time the game was running. I thought perhaps this was an isolated incident so I went and tried Ark: Survival evolved.. guess what, all 4 cpu cores @ 100% again constantly. I tried American Truck Simulator.. better.. all 4 cores were like 60% - 80% at all times. Well, then I went and tried Far Cry 4... CPU @ 100% all cores again. Tried Witcher 3, all 4 cores maxed out again.

So while older quad cores paired with a modern video card may actually play games fine.. folks should bear in mind that it's most likely going to run these older chips maxed out completely in modern games and make sure they have aftermarket coolers on em.. because they will run quite hot.

Reply 18002 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz - SLAN3 (10 years in a few months so it's at least old 😜 )

The CPU ended up costing about 43 euro including shipping which I find a decent price.

Still a good processor. You could modern game on it easily if combined with a good motherboard and GPU. Games haven't really increased in CPU demand a whole lot since 2012. Games actually became better optimized for quad core usage after 2013 when the new gen consoles had came out.

I recently tried this about a month ago. My main computer had died and I pulled out one of my older computers.. a LGA-775 system, with a 12MB 775 quad core computer, harpertown, clocked at 3.75 ghz. I tried playing GTA-V with my big R9 290X and while it did run... it had all 4 cores at 99%/100% the entire time the game was running. I thought perhaps this was an isolated incident so I went and tried Ark: Survival evolved.. guess what, all 4 cpu cores @ 100% again constantly. I tried American Truck Simulator.. better.. all 4 cores were like 60% - 80% at all times. Well, then I went and tried Far Cry 4... CPU @ 100% all cores again. Tried Witcher 3, all 4 cores maxed out again.

So while older quad cores paired with a modern video card may actually play games fine.. folks should bear in mind that it's most likely going to run these older chips maxed out completely in modern games and make sure they have aftermarket coolers on em.. because they will run quite hot.

Yeah. It'll run the CPU full throttle constantly. Aslong as you have good cooling that's not really an issue though IMO. I have a rather beefy CoolerMaster CM690II Chassis with large fans so I'm good on that front.

I actually just acquired a new motherboard for my main. A ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI, so now I can use my 45nm quad again (I had been stuck with a 680i for a while). I also got a OCZ 1066 2x2GB kit and a Zalman turbine cooler with it. Overclock city here I come. Traded a OnePlus One that needs a new digitizer for it. Also included was an obscene amount of generic DDR2 (5 1GB sticks including a matched 4GB pair that will probably go in my HTPC, and a single 2GB stick). Reminds me that I need to go through and test all my RAM since I let a tested bad stick float back into my RAM drawer by accident.

Probably going to throw a E8400 into my 680i, OC it to 4+ GHZ and make an emulator rig since that's where 2 obscenely fast cores make the most sense.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18003 of 52354, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a NIB (maybe not IB? but never used, nonetheless) HP SK-2511A keyboard for the HP Pavilion. There's one more available on eBay here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-104-Key-Intern … gh/302038451232

Anyone used these? No idea if they're decent but for that price I figured it'd be somewhat period-correct.

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    Filename
    41.jpg
    File size
    396.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18005 of 52354, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dexvx wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
Its called breach of contract and depending on the type of breach and the contract it can lead to litigation and large fines. h […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

I dont think you understand what a contractual obligation is or entails so Ill stop arguing here.

Its called breach of contract and depending on the type of breach and the contract it can lead to litigation and large fines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breach_of_contract

but if the seller refunds you in full I don't see any court approving case on something bought on ebay other then maybe a house, land or a car.

Technically, since the seller clearly titled the auction as an ATI Rage XL, that is all the seller was obligated in sending.

Good call. Most people would not pick up on that.

Reply 18006 of 52354, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My V3 that I got for $15 BIN mislabeled as a rage xl was mysteriously "lost" by the sellers mail carrier and never made it to the post office. I was refunded and I'm pissed about it. The seller lost nothing, they realized they sold something at a fair, non scalping value and committed fraud by not honoring the legally agreed upon price.

I'll be watching that seller and if that card shows up in another auction I'll be opening a scamming case with eBay.

At this rate, I'm never going to be able to get a V3 card for a reasonable price. Is one glide capable card without spending $50+ dollars too much to ask in this world?

Stop looking for 3dfx cards on eBay. I can't get v3s all day long for 20-30$ or less.
Try your luck with 3dfx sites.

Reply 18007 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Stop looking for 3dfx cards on eBay. I can't get v3s all day long for 20-30$ or less.
Try your luck with 3dfx sites.

Recently I got a V3 2000 PCI sold as a boxed SB16 for $20, a V3 3000 AGP for $17 and a V3 1000 AGP in a lot of other cards for $12 for the lot. All were on eBay.

Just have to look around and watch carefully.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18008 of 52354, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today:

v6YSrsMl.jpg

I was quite happy with the tower on the right, it's a well known design and looks great! It even has a 'fake floppy drive' bay cover 😀 A bit yellow but I don't mind. I was thinking the Compaq was also nice, but probably nothing special, so I opened that one up first. I was happily surprised 😀

Umm hello what is this?
7Aa4cxGl.jpg

Nice!
07aoZn9l.jpg?1

The memory card (16 MB)
26AFpN1l.jpg
bsNdk58l.jpg

The CPU card
HIMYNCGl.jpg
3WepJS1l.jpg?1

The video card
tCX8SWBl.jpg

QVGA?
l7HUnEel.jpg

FDD with proprietary (?) connector
LdQ0zwnl.jpg

Upgrade options 😀
pLXNcrUl.jpg

The Compaq POSTS, hard drive is toast though. Has trouble spinning up and Windows 95 complains about an unrecoverable registry error.

The other system is an Intel motherboard with Pentium 90 CPU, also quite nice!
eUh3bqjl.jpg

Intel 430NX (Neptune) chipset, board is also Intel, haven't looked up the type yet.
AYLJQy5l.jpg

This videocard/chipset is unknown to me
rdbMFtSl.jpg
mm78Iiul.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 18009 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today: […]
Show full quote

Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today:

v6YSrsMl.jpg

I was quite happy with the tower on the right, it's a well known design and looks great! It even has a 'fake floppy drive' bay cover 😀 A bit yellow but I don't mind. I was thinking the Compaq was also nice, but probably nothing special, so I opened that one up first. I was happily surprised 😀

Umm hello what is this?
7Aa4cxGl.jpg

Nice!
07aoZn9l.jpg?1

The memory card (16 MB)
26AFpN1l.jpg
bsNdk58l.jpg

The CPU card
HIMYNCGl.jpg
3WepJS1l.jpg?1

The video card
tCX8SWBl.jpg

QVGA?
l7HUnEel.jpg

FDD with proprietary (?) connector
LdQ0zwnl.jpg

Upgrade options 😀
pLXNcrUl.jpg

The Compaq POSTS, hard drive is toast though. Has trouble spinning up and Windows 95 complains about an unrecoverable registry error.

The other system is an Intel motherboard with Pentium 90 CPU, also quite nice!
eUh3bqjl.jpg

Intel 430NX (Neptune) chipset, board is also Intel, haven't looked up the type yet.
AYLJQy5l.jpg

This videocard/chipset is unknown to me
rdbMFtSl.jpg
mm78Iiul.jpg

I actually had no idea AT&T made video cards. Seems to be powered by an Alliance chipset whatever it is.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18010 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

-snip-

That's a very nice find!

Your AT motherboard is probably some Intel Batman board, judging from the layout of the PCI and ISA slots. Mine didn't have any cache on the motherboard though. The case had me presume the contents had a good chance to contain 486 stuff, but this is close to it (came very quickly after s4). This may be s5 instead of s7.

I have seen those Alliance Semiconductor PCI graphics cards in the past,basically noone would know what these were and they didn't seem very special back then. I might have one stored away, but I'm not even sure I took the ones I found. It probably has something like 1MB or 2MB of memory.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18011 of 52354, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I actually had no idea AT&T made video cards. Seems to be powered by an Alliance chipset whatever it is.

Card isn't made by AT&T. That chip is a RAMDAC. Card has 1MB of memory, expandable to 2MB.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 18012 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a Compaq EVO N610C off eBay for $30 shipped. No adapter but I have one that fits it I believe. Has password locked Linux SUSE 10.0 (from 2005) on it.
I'm just hoping this didn't belong to some black hat hacker who locked the bios or something because I really don't want to go through the trouble of resetting a laptops CMOS. The laptops battery is supposedly shot too but that's never been a big deal since I'm almost always within socket range.

Should have a 2GHz Pentium M, 256MB of RAM, a Radeon 7500 32MB DDR, 20GB Hard Drive, and a 1400x1050 screen. Linux tells me that the owner was technically inclined so I wouldn't be surprised if the RAM or hard drive is upgraded. Screen should be excellent as well although with a 7500 backing it I probably won't bring it past 1024 in 3D.

It should make an excellent laptop for Windows 98. I've had a Caesar III/RollerCoaster Tycoon/Heroes of Might and Magic 95 addiction lately and IMO those don't look right on widescreens and I don't like always being bound within keyboard reach or stare at a CRT for hours at a time (I love CRTs, but they strain my eyes bad)

Reply 18013 of 52354, by Slaventus86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if it is retro, but it is not modern though (2009-2010). After years of searching I've finally found it:

LRB1-front-150x150.jpg LRB1-back1-150x150.jpg LRB1-nude-150x150.jpg LRB1-cooling-system-150x150.jpg
LRB1-close-view-150x150.jpg LRB1-connectors-150x150.jpg LRB1-fan-150x150.jpg

Intel Larrabee!

This is Intel LRB1 "Aubrey Isle" - Knights Ferry card with 2 GB RAM and 32 cores (probably). Will test it tomorrow.

Videocard Virtual Museum

Reply 18014 of 52354, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Now THAT is cool!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 18015 of 52354, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Bought a Compaq EVO N610C off eBay for $30 shipped. No adapter but I have one that fits it I believe. Has password locked Linux […]
Show full quote

Bought a Compaq EVO N610C off eBay for $30 shipped. No adapter but I have one that fits it I believe. Has password locked Linux SUSE 10.0 (from 2005) on it.
I'm just hoping this didn't belong to some black hat hacker who locked the bios or something because I really don't want to go through the trouble of resetting a laptops CMOS. The laptops battery is supposedly shot too but that's never been a big deal since I'm almost always within socket range.

Should have a 2GHz Pentium M, 256MB of RAM, a Radeon 7500 32MB DDR, 20GB Hard Drive, and a 1400x1050 screen. Linux tells me that the owner was technically inclined so I wouldn't be surprised if the RAM or hard drive is upgraded. Screen should be excellent as well although with a 7500 backing it I probably won't bring it past 1024 in 3D.

It should make an excellent laptop for Windows 98. I've had a Caesar III/RollerCoaster Tycoon/Heroes of Might and Magic 95 addiction lately and IMO those don't look right on widescreens and I don't like always being bound within keyboard reach or stare at a CRT for hours at a time (I love CRTs, but they strain my eyes bad)

Should be listed as a P4-M, good thing too, otherwise 98 would be a bit more difficult.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18016 of 52354, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slaventus86 wrote:

This is Intel LRB1 "Aubrey Isle" - Knights Ferry card with 2 GB RAM and 32 cores (probably). Will test it tomorrow.

Cool, back when they thought it was a GPU (says on the board) 🤣

Reply 18017 of 52354, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love those Compaq computers, I've got a Deskpro XL 590 which looks the same on the outside and has also it's CPU on a separate card. They have that feeling of being a really expensive piece of equipement from back then ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18018 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Slaventus86 wrote:

I thought these were cancelled. Is that a test unit or demo unit? Very cool.

Reply 18019 of 52354, by Slaventus86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a prototype card, such cards were send to some chosen developers. This project was later transformed into Xeon Phi cards, though LRB2, or Knights Corner, still does have texture units, but the video output connectors were missing similar to some nVidia Tesla cards.

Videocard Virtual Museum