VOGONS

Unreal

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I retrieved my copy of Unreal from the loft and gave it a try. Not a lot of luck. I even tried pulling the original version of OpenGLide out of CVS, but I can'e even make that work.

Reply 1 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I forgot that the vertex snap thingy was taken out. Put it back in, and also the fix to grTexDownloadMipMapLevel that we discussed, and wow: fullscreen 1280x1024, reasonable frame rate, and it looks gorgeous. Fog is working nicely, which you see as you crawl along the first air duct.

Had to disable detailed textures in the Unreal glide setup because we are getting something badly wrong there. Also had to disable mipmaping in OpenGLid.ini

Turned out Unreal didn't need the window creation stuff, even to get fullscreen working.

I've commited it to CVS, but I haven't bumped the version and generated a release. Anybody with MVC++ can try it out.

Reply 2 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to see it's working again, and I think that detailed texture thing should be looked at for the future, but in all honesty, the OpenGL version plus the UT textures is far better than anything you'll get with Glide and the original Unreal textures. --trust me on this one. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Good to see it's working again, and I think that detailed texture thing should be looked at for the future,

Yes. At the moment enabling detailed textures causes everything within a few feet of the character to be brightened. We should at least remove that effect, even if we don't actully properly support the feature.

but in all honesty, the OpenGL version plus the UT textures is far better than anything you'll get with Glide and the original Unreal textures. --trust me on this one. 😀

Myabe the OpenGL version would work for me now. Where do I get the UT textures?

Reply 4 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This (locked) thread should provide some clues:
showthread.php?threadid=546

Enjoy!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 12, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great it is working, I will give it a try, but we now should talk about the vertex snap and how to correct it or else we will have two versions of OpenGLide... 😀
I have some doubts that I will open another thread for it.
nice work guys.

Reply 6 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I sussed vertext snap. I've added an extra boolean paramater to RenderAddTriangle which controls whether the vertex snap correction is performed. When RenderAddTriangle is called from one of the XXXXXXWithClip commands the correction is disabled, whereas from the others it is enabled.

Reply 7 of 12, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw it, but I still do not know if it is the correct way of doing this, this is mroe like a hack to work as we do not have other games tested yet... 😀
I am doing a lot of modifications, I will commit them as soon as I am sure they are working on many things like before... 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

I saw it, but I still do not know if it is the correct way of doing this, this is mroe like a hack to work as we do not have other games tested yet... 😀

I've tested all the Glidos games and all the Windows ones I know of that work (Red Baron, Unreal, Spec Ops), but yes we don't really have a definitive list for regression testing.

I agree my fix has the feel of a hack, but it may be exactly right. I think that the range of values allowed by the WithClip commands is wide enough that vertex snapping can't be allowed.

If I'm wrong about that, then I think the correct fix would be to put back what you had, but change the test from ( > 2048) to (> 3<<18).

Besides findiong out which of these is correct, I can't think of any improvement. Even if we were to perform explicit clipping ourselves, it would not help in determining when to subtract the vertex snap adjustment.

I am doing a lot of modifications, I will commit them as soon as I am sure they are working on many things like before... 😀

Interesting. What are you doing? Sorry I had thought you were busy. If I known you were wroking on it I would have discussed my changes more to avoid conflicts.

Did you see I've added some handling of yiq and ayiq formats, with some associated additions and debugging of 3dfload? That was needed for Spec Ops.

Reply 9 of 12, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, the modifications I am making are not on the snap thing but on the tex class and on the window moving. Nothing much, I am implementing the vector and some window resizing when not in the full screen mode.
It is already done and tested, but I will do some more tests just to be sure... 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Hey, the modifications I am making are not on the snap thing but on the tex class and on the window moving. Nothing much, I am implementing the vector and some window resizing when not in the full screen mode.
It is already done and tested, but I will do some more tests just to be sure... 😀

Great. Although Unreal works nicely when InitFullScreen is set, it doesn't work in a window properly. Nice if this change fixes that.

If you have time, have a look at my mipmapping code for paletted textures. It works great for squares, but something goes wrong for non-square rectangles. I think this shows up in Unreal, although I wouldn't have thought it used paletted textures. Well, there's some problem with mipmapping in Unreal; not sure what it is.

BTW, do you know how Unreal does lighting? The torch and most htings you fire give lovely circular light patches on the wall. I can't think how that is done in glide.

Reply 11 of 12, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I understand, Unreal uses lightmaps, so it needs to render the texture and then render the light maps over the textures so it can bright the right areas, it is not difficult but requires multiple pass in glide.
If you need more info, on this just say and I will point to the right direction... 😀