Common searches

Got my ass handed to me in COD:BO3

Topic actions

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here I am playing DOS games, and my 13 yr old says "Dad, I want you to try Black Ops 3". I'm not much of a FPS gamer. I do play Doom, Duke3D, etc, but I'm really an RPG gamer. And yeah, back in the day I did play some Unreal, Half Life, and Counterstrike. So he starts me against some bots on the default (medium/average/whatever) skill. I somewhat hold my own, getting almost as many kills as deaths. Granted, I don't know any of the crazy wall running moves or sliding, etc. Just running and shooting. So he drops me on a server against real people. It wasn't pretty. I got 6 kills, while getting killed 18 times. Nice. I guess I was happy to get any kills at all!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't relate. Last multiplayer I played were door games, modem and LAN.

Looks like you did alright, like anything you have to do it constantly to keep your skills up.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We should try a game of either Unreal 1 or UT99 standard deathmatch just to serve as a bit of comparison.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

We should try a game of either Unreal 1 or UT99 standard deathmatch just to serve as a bit of comparison.

I've still got UT99 on my modern system. Let's do it.

DosFreak makes a good point. Even though my son is much better than me overall, the couple times I got him to play UT99 or Xonotic, I could usually beat him, though it was always close.

Reply 6 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Map knowledge can play a big, big part.

^This.

And for a first time 1:3 kill/death ratio isn't that bad actually.

UT99 will have problems with lag, we had a server but it being hosted kinda killed any hope for me to do anything decent with weapons that did not have any splash damage 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
^This. […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

^This.

UT99 will have problems with lag, we had a server but it being hosted kinda killed any hope for me to do anything decent with weapons that did not have any splash damage 😵

Yeah. The excuses I formed in my head were:
a) I don't know the map
b) I don't know all the key commands for the tricks
c) I had to hold down SHIFT to run when I'm used to ALWAYS run
d) mouse speed wasn't fast enough for me.

I didn't want to mess with his controls though. It was just a one-time tryout.

Reply 8 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PM me whenever you feel like trying a 1vs1 and I'll get a game going. Though I can't today as I've been really worn out and have been working on my map I posted about in the other thread here.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It happens. I got creemed by my 9 year old cousin in VF2 of all games. Yeah that a game I played in arcades as a teen growing up. It was a said day. surprisingly im the only one that can beat her in old arcade fighters.

Reply 10 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
Yeah. The excuses I formed in my head were: a) I don't know the map b) I don't know all the key commands for the tricks c) I ha […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
^This. […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

^This.

Yeah. The excuses I formed in my head were:
a) I don't know the map
b) I don't know all the key commands for the tricks
c) I had to hold down SHIFT to run when I'm used to ALWAYS run
d) mouse speed wasn't fast enough for me.

I didn't want to mess with his controls though. It was just a one-time tryout.

Aside from you not having the intention to keep within the single time you done that, excuses won't typically help you improve much, for that you'd need to be critical to your own performance so you can identify weak spots faster and then improve upon them 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me and clueless1 just got done playing some UT99 tonight, and my aim is just as bad.

I typically never do deathmatch-like online gametypes anymore because I don't like the thought of leaving people angry from how I play. But when it's someone I know and we're just only trying to have fun I make exceptions.

I prefer cooperative play, either against bots or monsters.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was a lot of fun. You severely under-represent your aim, though. Trying to count the times I was trying to find you, then turned around and you were staring at the back of my head. 😀 We'll do it again soon.

Reply 13 of 23, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Call of Duty is surprisingly difficult for people used to older FPSs, like myself. 😜 I used to play the original Black Ops quite a bit on Xbox Live, and it was pretty fun, but I got killed a LOT. A few years later I picked up Titanfall on PC, which had similar gameplay mechanics, and I'd say I did better at that game overall.

Say, I wonder if there's a thread here for multiplayer meetups. I've been playing a bit of Quake 2 lately and it'd be fun to see how I stack up against fellow Vogons.

Reply 14 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Say, I wonder if there's a thread here for multiplayer meetups. I've been playing a bit of Quake 2 lately and it'd be fun to see how I stack up against fellow Vogons.

I'd be up for it if I could just install a linux native version of Quake 2.

Though I'd obviously have to use Wine and the windows version of Quake 2 if I ever wanted to play mods. (Thanks Carmack, there really was no reason to make the *entire* game contained in a .dll file)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once I was playing the original Unreal Tournament, and joined a random server. I think it was a server in India. I'm not a pro FPSer, but only a casual player, just joined for fun. I'm not even a multiplayer kind of guy either.

To my surprise, i started raking kills consecutively on both of them, until they sometimes get blasted as soon as they respawned (yeah, those were sheer luck shots there).

They were so annoyed that one of them told the other to kick me out from the server...claiming i made their bandwidth clogged.... 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Once I was playing the original Unreal Tournament, and joined a random server. I think it was a server in India. I'm not a pro FPSer, but only a casual player, just joined for fun. I'm not even a multiplayer kind of guy either.

To my surprise, i started raking kills consecutively on both of them, until they sometimes get blasted as soon as they respawned (yeah, those were sheer luck shots there).

They were so annoyed that one of them told the other to kick me out from the server...claiming i made their bandwidth clogged.... 🤣

Yeah, reactions like that is why I don't play online much, if at all anymore...

Was it a standard server though? Like, standard gamespeed, no hardcore mode, and no mutators? That's what me and clueless1 was playing.

The few servers I played randomly online back in the day had like 150% gamespeed, Hardcore + Turbo mode and these insane weapon packs that shoot really fast and mostly kill in one hit. I never understood why anybody would play this, reminded me alot of the Ultra Renegades and UltraVX servers back when Starsiege: Tribes was alive.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Was it a standard server though? Like, standard gamespeed, no hardcore mode, and no mutators? That's what me and clueless1 was playing.

The few servers I played randomly online back in the day had like 150% gamespeed, Hardcore + Turbo mode and these insane weapon packs that shoot really fast and mostly kill in one hit. I never understood why anybody would play this, reminded me alot of the Ultra Renegades and UltraVX servers back when Starsiege: Tribes was alive.

Yes, it was a standard vanilla server.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

Me and clueless1 just got done playing some UT99 tonight, and my aim is just as bad.

I typically never do deathmatch-like online gametypes anymore because I don't like the thought of leaving people angry from how I play. But when it's someone I know and we're just only trying to have fun I make exceptions.

I prefer cooperative play, either against bots or monsters.

Actually, the more others whoop my ass, the more pleased I am, because it means I have work to do to go improve my game.
Obviously this will NOT account for ALL lag-related deaths, but even lag can be compensated to some extend (wont work as well against pretty good players though).

But then again, I used to be a clanmember of a clan which only top-players could be a member off. No tracking weapons, no complaining about losses. No sucking, just do your best and I still uphold those "laws" like it's my heart beating!!

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DrcoNihil and I are close enough that lag was not an issue. I think my pings were in the low 100's. He hosted.

I don't know how he compares to the top UT99 players, but from my perspective he was using witchcraft. I had the feeling he could see me at all times, and could've been walking right behind me and staying behind me as I spun around. When I did see him and got a shot or two off, it felt like he let that happen. Props to him, he's very talented. He was also kind enough to keep it fun despite the disparity in our skills.