VOGONS

Unable to mount 2-4 gb iso images using virtual-drive soft installed in Windows95+Dosbox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Farooq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have problem with almost all Virtual cd-drive programs installed into my Windows95+Dosbox
Version of Windows95 - osr 2.5
Version of Dosbox - SVNDaum 2015
I have 2 mounted HDDs: 2gb (system) and 8gb (where I store iso images and installed games)

The only VCD program I managed to install and run successfully is Virtual Clone Drive 5.3.1.2
All other old versions of Alcohol, Daemon tools either crush when I try to mount images or cause blue screen with fatal error
Other programs such as MagicDisk can not be installed due to missing DLLs

Unfortunately Virtual Clone Drive 5.3.1.2 cant mount DVD iso larger than 2 GB and I have plenty cool adventure games on DVD with size 2-4 GB. I always try to avoid CD swapping and want to use DVD iso images.

How to force Virtual Drive program to mount such images without problems in Windows95+Dosbox?

Reply 2 of 13, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if your storage volumes are FAT32, I doubt you'll find many Windows 95 compatible applications that support >2GB files, since that's the signed 32 bit integer limit for file sizes, and many apps did not yet support 4GB, the absolute limit of FAT.

And even then, I don't think Windows 95 supports UDF, the file system of DVD images, without third party software.

Reply 3 of 13, by Farooq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kode54 wrote:

Even if your storage volumes are FAT32, I doubt you'll find many Windows 95 compatible applications that support >2GB files, since that's the signed 32 bit integer limit for file sizes, and many apps did not yet support 4GB, the absolute limit of FAT.

And even then, I don't think Windows 95 supports UDF, the file system of DVD images, without third party software.

Windows 95 in Dosbox support UDF. I checked it. Using UltraIso in host PC I created a lot of UDF DVD images with size 1-2 gb to play quest games without CD swapping. I mount UDF ISOs via old Clone Drive inside Windows95+Dosbox. The problem is only in size larger than 2 gb. Yes, Fat32 has limit - 4gb. Please advice me some soft of such sort which can solve this issue. (or maybe additional drivers to mount 2-4 gb ISOs)

P.S.
90% of Windows 9x adventure games are run smoothly in my Dosbox+Windows95, even such quests as Gabriel Knight 3, Simon the Sorcerer 3d, Myst 3d (with 3dfx)

Reply 5 of 13, by Farooq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Imgmount command from Dosbox config file intended only to images with 700 mb size maximum. No way to mount something larger than that using this method.

I also would be happiest man in the world if "imgmount СD1 CD2 CD..." feature with CTRL+F4 works in Windows95+dosbox, but it doesnt.

Reply 8 of 13, by Farooq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ve just tried to mount virtual drive letter from Host in Windows95+Dosbox. System doesnt see the drive.
I used autoexec as below. Maybe Im wrong somewhere.

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
imgmount a Dos6.22.img
imgmount c win95_fat32_support.img -ide 1m
mount d e:\ -t cdrom 1s
imgmount e 8gb_hdd-2.img -ide 2m
boot -l c