VOGONS

My computers

Topic actions

First post, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

The first of all excuse me for my english, this is not my mother language but I am always learning.
Since a lot of years I focused in 8 bit retro computing, specially playing with my dear Speccy, but recently I setup my old 486 thanks in part to this forum.

In my desk there are permanent place to:

- my current PC
- Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K
- and recently incorporated a Compaq EVO D310 (Pentium IV @ 3GHZ) with Windows XP to run emulators and games for these era.

By the other hand I have other computers waiting for me. 😜

- My first PC, a PC-XT Clon. RAM 640Mb , HD 20MB , 2 Floppy Drives, monochrome (orange) monitor (12'')... OS: MSDOS 3.30
- PC 484DX4 @ 100Mhz, RAM 16MB, 2 X CF (2GB and 4 GB), SisS86C201 VGA (1MB I think), 4X CD reader, Sound Blaster 16 (ISA). OS: MSDOS 6.22.
- And last but no least, my first laptop, Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. Pentium III, RAM 256MB, DVD reader, 3,5'' floppy drive, 14'' with Windows 98 SE.

Now I am looking for the best use for each computer, keeping in mind that it works in their original hardware when possible.
For example, Pinball Fantasies runs perfect in the 486. I prefer to play in this PC rather DosBOX under Windows XP.
Doom is a special case. I prefer to play in Windows with ZDoom although the original Doom runs perfect in 486.
Fatal Racing (Whiplash) is a DOS game released two moths later (more or less) than Windows 95. The best setup I have found is in Windows XP with VDM Sound, spectacular!!!, although the gameplay in the Toshiba (PIII, Windows 98) is awesome too (without any emulation of course).

I know that this is not a great deal but is funny. 😁
I will post pictures and more detailed specs soon.
Thanks to all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added systems

Other builds, removed setups

Last edited by Anaxagoras on 2021-11-16, 13:14. Edited 3 times in total.

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 1 of 5, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welcome to the forum. Your english is very good!

Your journey sounds similar to mine. I decided to resurrect my old PCs after fixing up my 1980s/early 90s Acorn computers (8 and 32-bit).

When I am finished I will have a 386 (DOS), Pentium 133 (DOS/Win 95/NT4), Pentium III 650 (Win98/2000) and Core2Duo (XP) systems, along with a PIII 450 Laptop. The challenge, as you say, is to use each machine effectively - I suspect that my PIII will run everything that the Pentium 133 does, so therefore do I still need that machine? I prefer to keep my day-to-day Windows 10 machine free of old games which may have compatibility issues, and I figure it would take me just as long to set up DOSBOX so I might as well enjoy the old hardware that I already own.

Best of luck with your project, look forward to seeing how you get on.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 5 of 5, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Andy1979 wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Your english is very good! […]
Show full quote

Welcome to the forum. Your english is very good!

Your journey sounds similar to mine. I decided to resurrect my old PCs after fixing up my 1980s/early 90s Acorn computers (8 and 32-bit).

When I am finished I will have a 386 (DOS), Pentium 133 (DOS/Win 95/NT4), Pentium III 650 (Win98/2000) and Core2Duo (XP) systems, along with a PIII 450 Laptop. The challenge, as you say, is to use each machine effectively - I suspect that my PIII will run everything that the Pentium 133 does, so therefore do I still need that machine? I prefer to keep my day-to-day Windows 10 machine free of old games which may have compatibility issues, and I figure it would take me just as long to set up DOSBOX so I might as well enjoy the old hardware that I already own.

Best of luck with your project, look forward to seeing how you get on.

Thank you Andy1979.
I prefer to use the old hardware too, more accurately, with the same computers that I own from decades... "The Survivors" 😏

About your Pentium 133 I think that covers perfectly the gap for certainly DOS games. Is perfect for those games that run slow in 386 but too fast in Pentium III however in Windows games I think those problem no exist. A Windows 9x game always obtains better performance in faster CPUs but my opinion is based only in a few games.

keropi wrote:

Nice, can't wait for the pics 😀

Ps. Nice nickname

I found some pics 😁

20170526_092031.jpg
Filename
20170526_092031.jpg
File size
601.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
badmojo wrote:

Hi!

What do you do with your Spectrum? C64 man myself but am always interested to hear about rival products 😈

Here you are my Speccy with 2GB of games attached 🤣

20170423_173555.jpg
Filename
20170423_173555.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license

And a part of my older "computer room"...

Vista_Posters_Tablero_y_Mesa_01_1.jpg
Filename
Vista_Posters_Tablero_y_Mesa_01_1.jpg
File size
3.95 MiB
Views
File license

My respects

My computers

qp92nk-6.png