VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ do you mean if the Ultimate Talkie works in DOS-mode of win98? it does

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 61 of 122, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ do you mean if the Ultimate Talkie works in DOS-mode of win98? it does

That too, but wondering if there's a way to install it all in native DOS.

Reply 62 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't remember atm the exact patching procedure (IIRC it's done under windows) but if you transfer the final files over to DOS the game will work just fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 63 of 122, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By sheer coincidence, I have just gone thru the patching process on a Win 7 machine, transferred the files to a Vectra M2 DX4/100 running DOS 6.22 and the game works fine, CM-32L plays the music and the speech works flawlessly on an SB Pro compatible Acer Magic S23.

(I wonder if there is a way to enable subtitles AND having speech for an even more oldskool feel... I guess I should ask Marek 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 64 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is! I think it's ALT+T ? some shortcut like that

Reply 66 of 122, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:

By sheer coincidence, I have just gone thru the patching process on a Win 7 machine, transferred the files to a Vectra M2 DX4/100 running DOS 6.22 and the game works fine, CM-32L plays the music and the speech works flawlessly on an SB Pro compatible Acer Magic S23.

Are you referring to the patch from the first thread post or the Ultimate editions I was referring to?

Reply 69 of 122, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you would like more information about the Ultimate Talkie versions, please consider posting in this thread : Re: Freezing problem with both Monkey Island Ultimate talkie DOS or make a new thread.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 70 of 122, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

If you would like more information about the Ultimate Talkie versions, please consider posting in this thread : Re: Freezing problem with both Monkey Island Ultimate talkie DOS or make a new thread.

Tougher crowd... I get it guys, trust me. I appreciate the info. I made one, quick comment and wasn't looking to turn the convo. Sorry if I ruined some people's day.

Reply 74 of 122, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

Can i somehow to make this patch work with MI2: Ultimate Talkie edition?

I'm afraid you're in the wrong neighborhood, Kain. Read up a few posts.

Tough crowd? Ouch! 😊
Ok, i get it, sorry!
PS - but if someone know the answer, please pm me 😎

Reply 75 of 122, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:

This thread is not about the Ultimate Talkie versions.

It could be, since your patch seems to work with the Ultimate Talkie version of Monkey2 if you simply copy your SOUNBLAS.IMS to the folder, rename it to ADLIB.IMS and run the game from DOS/DOSBox with the 'a' parameter. That means that your patch to monkey.001 isn't applied, but maybe whatever you tweaked is already included in the talkie version of that file. I don't know, nor have I tested this beyond the crackling fire and blacksmith's hammer at the start of the game, but your MT-32 + Adlib mode does seem to work with it.

Edit: Alternately, users can replace GMIDI.IMS (since General MIDI doesn't even work in DOS with the latest talkie version) or one of the ROL_*.IMS files if they'd like to keep the option to have Adlib music or are just in the habit of using the 'r' or 'r1-4' parameters (respectively).

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-08-18, 19:47. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 76 of 122, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Osprey wrote:
NewRisingSun wrote:

This thread is not about the Ultimate Talkie versions.

Perhaps it should be, since your patch seems to work with the Ultimate Talkie version of Monkey2 with slightly different directions. I've found that MT-32 + Adlib mixed mode works if you simply copy your SOUNBLAS.IMS to the Monkey 2 Ultimate Talkie folder, rename it to ADLIB.IMS and run the game from DOSBox with the 'a' parameter. I haven't tested it beyond the crackling fire and blacksmith's hammer at the start of the game, but it seems to work.

Nice! I will try it.

Reply 78 of 122, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How does everyone feel about the CD version of The Secret of Monkey Island? In my opinion, the music seems at least on par with (if not superior to) that of the MT-32, and it seems to have better sound effects as well as ambient sound effects (like the ocean, for example).

So are there any particular reasons why the CD version is not preferred and so much effort is spent on getting MT-32 and adlib to play nice with each other? In the CD version, I also seem to hear adlib sound effects without any additional work (e.g., the pot boiling in the kitchen).

Also, is this the sound effect I'm supposed to hear when opening/closing the scumm bar door?

Reply 79 of 122, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:

How does everyone feel about the CD version of The Secret of Monkey Island? In my opinion, the music seems at least on par with (if not superior to) that of the MT-32, and it seems to have better sound effects as well as ambient sound effects (like the ocean, for example).

So are there any particular reasons why the CD version is not preferred and so much effort is spent on getting MT-32 and adlib to play nice with each other? In the CD version, I also seem to hear adlib sound effects without any additional work (e.g., the pot boiling in the kitchen).

Some reasons:

* The CD-ROM music isn't timed well to events in the game. For example, in the intro, the outbreak of the music is supposed to occur just as "The Secret of Monkey Island" appears on the screen, but it occurs a second too late. It's not like MIDI, where the game triggers each individual musical note precisely when it's supposed to be played.
* It doesn't have very good stereo separation, so everything sort of converges into the middle. I personally don't think that it sounds as vibrant as the MIDI.
* It can crackle and pop.
* It ends abruptly when you switch screens, rather than fading out like MIDI music.
* A lot of people first played the game in the early 90s, before the CD-ROM version was made, and the MIDI music is what they fondly remember. It's also one of the things that the first two games are known for.

As you pointed out, there are some pros that balance out some of those cons, so it mostly comes down to preference and nostalgia. If we can, though, some of us would like to try to get as many of those pros of later versions without having to accept the cons, so that's why there's the effort that you're seeing, to answer your question.

lukeman3000 wrote:

Also, is this the sound effect I'm supposed to hear when opening/closing the scumm bar door?

Yes, that's the Adlib sound effect. It's the same as in the CD-ROM version (though the CD-ROM version adds Sound Blaster support and a sound effect with it that sounds like an actual door). The Adlib effect is really lame, admittedly, but it's nicer having great music and lame sound effects than only great music.