VOGONS

Common searches

Games with CD Audio?

Topic actions

First post, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I recently discovered Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (FM-Towns) and Lemmings both have CD audio, anyone know of a list of games with CD audio? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 31, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most games from the first years of CD games.

The games and the HDDs were so small and the discs so big that pretty much every developer waste the entire space in music/sound, instead of the lower quality real time music.

Probably inspired by consoles like PC Engine CD or Sega CD.

Reply 2 of 31, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't know such a list, but here are a few:

Age of Empires engine games (AoE1, 2 and expansions, probably Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds)
Tomb Raider, at least some of them.
Motorhead
I think Half-Life 1, and maybe the expansions.
I think MotoRacer 2

I'm curious, what's the use of such a list?

stranno: I'd say CD audio was mainly in use because it didn't require CPU resources to play.

Reply 3 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakcom wrote:

Hi, thank you for the reply. I like music CDs and there are overlooked CD game soundtracks.

Please keep adding. Cheers! =)

Quake
Lemmings

Reply 5 of 31, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakcom wrote:

If it's about music, one shouldn't care about the format, may it be CD/A or file-based. 😀
For example, Need for Speed 2 had nice guitar-oriented music, but not as CD tracks.

yes, but dedicated audio tracks on the optical drive have a certain flair; i guess for some geeks this is similar to how other have a thing for chip tunes;
also need for speed was in terms of music exceptional, except for baldur's gate series i knew no other game with similarly good music; i entered the game doing unimportant stuff just to listen;

Reply 8 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vogamer wrote:

... CD audio...

vogamer wrote:
bakcom wrote:

... music CDs ...

bakcom wrote:

If it's about music, one shouldn't care about the format, may it be CD/A or file-based. 😀
For example, Need for Speed 2 had nice guitar-oriented music, but not as CD tracks.

I said "CD audio" and "music CDs", of which I am particular. And even if it was in general soundtracks I was after, you don't have to be a smarty pants. People like you suck. =)*

*kiss my ...

Reply 9 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:

yes, but dedicated audio tracks on the optical drive have a certain flair

And you can just pop the CD into a player and play it =)

leileilol wrote:

The list would be huge I think. Redbook was going on up until around 2001 (around when MP3 music for games were getting very commonplace)

Hi, Redbook might have been going up to around 2001 and I wonder how many CD audio games there are.

I'm thinking 100-200 mainstream releases perhaps...

Reply 10 of 31, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vogamer wrote:
And you can just pop the CD into a player and play it =) […]
Show full quote
mrau wrote:

yes, but dedicated audio tracks on the optical drive have a certain flair

And you can just pop the CD into a player and play it =)

leileilol wrote:

The list would be huge I think. Redbook was going on up until around 2001 (around when MP3 music for games were getting very commonplace)

Hi, Redbook might have been going up to around 2001 and I wonder how many CD audio games there are.

I'm thinking 100-200 mainstream releases perhaps...

You're missing a zero or two at the end of those numbers. There's a reason no one has made a comprehensive list.

I mean, besides there being no real use for such a list.

Reply 11 of 31, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first Tomb Raider had ambient sounds on the CD not music. This surprised me when I played it for the first time. Where's the music? Are there any other big popular games with no music?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 31, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On PC:

Civilization II
Warcraft II (not sure about BNE)
Warlords III: Darklords Rising (I'd assume Reign of Heroes as well)
Carmageddon
Carmageddon Splat Pack
Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now
Quake II
Blood
Descent II: The Infinite Abyss (I'd assume vanilla Descent II too)

On PSX:

Wipeout
Wip3out
Twisted Metal 3

There's many, many more, but these are just ones no one's listed yet. 😉

Reply 17 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I found that the 'Miscellaneous Attributes' section under 'Specs' on Mobygames lists 'Audio CD Tracks'. I doubt this is 100% reliable, however it's still a great resource.

ZellSF *may* be right that the number is in the thousands rather than the hundreds, however I still wonder.

Also, I'm mainly interested in games with Redbook CD audio in the form of sound-tracks rather than sound-effects because I would like to listen to them as background music and such. Thanks again.

Reply 18 of 31, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vogamer wrote:

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I found that the 'Miscellaneous Attributes' section under 'Specs' on Mobygames lists 'Audio CD Tracks'. I doubt this is 100% reliable, however it's still a great resource.

ZellSF *may* be right that the number is in the thousands rather than the hundreds, however I still wonder.

Also, I'm mainly interested in games with Redbook CD audio in the form of sound-tracks rather than sound-effects because I would like to listen to them as background music and such. Thanks again.

Why dont you search games from 1993-94 to ... 2000?

First CD games were games like Myst, 7th Guest, Megarace, Loom..

Reply 19 of 31, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, for CD Audio, I like reading what other people like, however a search is also good.

According to Mobygames, below are the games CD Audio games I know of. Beyond Quake, don't know which ones are good yet...

Aliens Versus Predator
Alone In The Dark 1/2/3
Half-Life 1/2
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (FM Towns)
Quake
7th Guest

Last edited by vogamer on 2017-08-24, 14:30. Edited 1 time in total.