VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The IDE-CF adapter for my 386 build didn't end up working out; I couldn't find reliable CHS parameters, and the 512MB card wouldn't show up at all, leaving me with only a pair of 32MBs.

I'm looking into other options for storage. I really don't feel like tracking down a suitable-sized vintage HDD for this thing. (The smallest desktop drive I even have is 20GB.) I could stick an XTIDE ROM in the network card but I realistically only need 256 or 512MB.

I'm wondering about using these industrial disk-on-modules in a system this old:
sku_51804_2.jpg
(Ignore the specific brand in the photo, there are tons of makers of these with various levels of repute.)

I presume because they're specifically made to act as IDE drives they're a little more reliable? The issue is there's no HDD autodetection so I need accurate CHS geometry to manually enter (and there's no CMOS battery so I need to do that every time I power it on. 😜) Have any of you had any luck?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 5, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use those modules a lot, i would say that they are more reliable than cf cards, in the datasheets sometimes include the CHS info, or iirc there is a utility that helps you detect that info.

2017-08-23 15.36.08.jpg
Filename
2017-08-23 15.36.08.jpg
File size
3.1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm currently using an 128MB DOM made by PQI in a 286 machine - datasheet is available here.
The module is connected to an ISA-IDE card and controlled by XTIDE Universal BIOS (AT) on a NIC socket.

Don't know if that works fine with your 386, though. Maybe you'll need the ide_386.bin file.
Current beta binaries can be obtained here: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/

If you prefer to keep the old IDE BIOS code in control, just make sure overall disk size isn't exceeded when you're entering fake
CHS geometry information. And also take care of the 1024 cylinder limit: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx … 31238&seqNum=14

If you take care of that, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use up to 500MiB of your DOM's memory. 😀

Edit: I used XTIDE Universal BIOS (AT) v2.0.0ß3,
in a vintage 27128 EPROM on a DLink NIC (DL2518).

Edit: Here's a dump of my 16K EPROM chip,
for those of you who may encounter trouble:

Filename
xtide_at_large_backup_27128.zip
File size
8.04 KiB
Downloads
164 downloads
File license

Edit: Here's a dump of my 8K EPROM chip, too.

Filename
xtide_at_backup_2764.zip
File size
5.62 KiB
Downloads
132 downloads
File license

Attachments

• xtide.jpg
    Filename
    xtide.jpg
    File size
    39.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • nic.jpg
    Filename
    nic.jpg
    File size
    25.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Jo22 on 2018-09-18, 01:09. Edited 3 times in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kiwa wrote:

I use those modules a lot, i would say that they are more reliable than cf cards,
in the datasheets sometimes include the CHS info, or iirc there is a utility that helps you detect that info

Right, there is. IDE-Diag, for example.

Edit: Pictures added.

Attachments

• idediag_01.jpg
    Filename
    idediag_01.jpg
    File size
    27.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • idediag_02.jpg
    Filename
    idediag_02.jpg
    File size
    22.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    IDEDIAG.zip
    File size
    15.13 KiB
    Downloads
    863 downloads
    File comment
    IDE Diagnostic Utilitiy
    File license
Last edited by Jo22 on 2017-08-23, 20:22. Edited 1 time in total.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome. :)

//My video channel//