VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MegaShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve tried EVERYTHING and I still can’t for the life of me set DOSBox to be full screen and stretched to my native resolution (1366x768) without having vertical black bars on the left and on the right. I don’t have black bars on the top or on the bottom, so I guess it’s running internally on 1024x768 non stretched.

What I’ve tried so far:

• Mess with all the settings on DOS BOX cfg file. My current configuration is:

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=0x0
windowresolution=1366x700
output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

• Set Graphics Properties on Intel HD Graphics Control Panel to “Scale Full Screen” and “Override Application Settings”. With this setting, other games that run at 1024x768 get stretched to full screen which is exactly what I want but… DOSBox doesn’t.
• Scrolled through each and every possible BIOS option. None seems to be related.

I’m using DOSBox 0.74 on Windows 10.
Can anyone help me out?

Reply 1 of 6, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to rule out something off of the bat, try setting fullresolution and windowresolution to 1360x768. Note that that's 1360, not 1366. 1366 is not a multiple of 4, which sometimes causes problems with scaling.

If that doesn't help, try using:

fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
output=overlay

The first two are typically better than forcing resolutions and overlay is a little more standard. Those are the settings that I typically use (though I don't ordinarily permit stretching). If that doesn't help, try the other output modes (ddraw, opengl, surface). I'm sure that you've already tried them, but perhaps not with those resolution settings. Finally, as a last resort, you can try other DOSBox builds, since it's possible to get wildly different results with different builds. SVN Daum is a funny one because it's sometimes so "broken" that it works when "unbroken" builds don't. I usually use output=direct3d with that one.

Reply 2 of 6, by MegaShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Tried 1360x768, didn't work
2. Tried these settings, didn't work, got slower:

fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
output=overlay

3. Tried ddraw, didn't work, got slower
4. Tried opengl, didn't work
5. Tried surface, didn't work, resolution got really small

6. Using other builds... I'll skip that for now, seems so random

Reply 4 of 6, by MegaShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripa wrote:

Set fullresolution=1024x768 and then set your graphics card / display to stretch that to full width.

OMG, that actually made a difference!

Now the image gets stretched horizontally, just as I wanted to. But... now I have black borders on top and bottom 😒

Tried 800x600 and I also get black borders on top and bottom.

Any more ideas? At least I now believe this is the right track.

Reply 5 of 6, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set aspect=true.

Note that it will only fix the top and bottom borders in graphics mode, not text mode. In case you are playing text-mode games, try an SVN version of Dosbox.