VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dude111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CONGRATS TO ALL!!!!!!

Win98/98se is one of the BEST os's microsoft ever released 😀

I think we even have some Win 95 lovers also......

WE ARE ALL AWESOME ON THIS SITE -- Peace and love to all 72tuzr.gif

Reply 2 of 40, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it came with my first computer, and I still have the CD and key for it. I guess I have to like it? Only thing I don't like is the fonts going weird at high resolution.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 3 of 40, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I too respect win 95 and 98 as they can be used in a wide range of machines from 486DX4-100 to PIII. Also, Win95 was on my first own P1/75, which I still have...

Reply 5 of 40, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 95/98 were poorly written kludges that set back personal computing for years, were shoved out the door as a blatant cash grab, and ushered in the era of modern unfathomable bloatware. (But there were a lot of really good games & apps written for them.)

😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 40, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

Knew someone would post this here

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 40, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

Windows 95/98 were poorly written kludges that set back personal computing for years, were shoved out the door as a blatant cash grab, and ushered in the era of modern unfathomable bloatware. (But there were a lot of really good games & apps written for them.)

😜

Agreed!
Windows95, 98 is a complete mess, only reason people use it is for all the awesome games it supports

Reply 8 of 40, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

9x was grate in that it brought the gui to the masses, but I can't think of a more unstable os.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-14, 13:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 40, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JaKSLaP wrote:
xjas wrote:

😜

Agreed!
Windows95, 98 is a complete mess, only reason people use it is for all the awesome games it supports

Do you know, that here in Russia Win 95 and 98 were called as "mazdai" - or "must_die" - yep, in one word !

here's a humorous video about that -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8Mey846IA

Reply 10 of 40, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny thread. I absolutely DESPISE windows 98!!!!!!

(This message has been sent to you using Windows 98 SE 😎 😎 😎 )

But I use it anyway 🤣

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 11 of 40, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of my time in Win98 was spent in Paint Shop Pro 4, Quake II, Mechwarrior 3, Qoole, 3DS Max, and Realplayer. Never had any real qualms with the OS itself, since I didn't often do much to cause it to fall over go boom. It played nice with my scanner, and dialup Internetting, so I was content.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12 of 40, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say Win2k is the best OS MS ever made. Having said that if you had rock solid drivers W95/98 was a good system to use for the era (compared to mac OS 7.x anyway). Crappy drivers and shitty programs would bring down the whole system. For home users doing 1 task at a time (gaming, word processing) it was good enough.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 40, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
leileilol wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

9x was grate in that it brought the gui to the masses

um

Prior to 95 the gui was not a common site on computers, more so on home systems. True there was os/2 win3.x and a few others but they did not catch on like 9x did. 95 spear headed the gui on the home computer, this made the computer something just about anyone could use.

Reply 15 of 40, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have special attachment towards Windows 95. After a long break, I finally got the dream machine - Pentium 133, with CD-ROM drive - in 1995 (or 1996). The feeling of able to play CD games those days was immense. I still had DOS installed in it along with Windows 95. There were many memorable games that I played during the Windows 95 period.

I didn't have the opportunity to use Windows 98, but went straight to Windows 98SE. For me, Win98 and Win95 have the same UI so, I neither love nor hate Win98. And Windows 98SE is the OS I still use in my Pentium 4 machine.

And Windows 95 will always be installed in my Pentium I and II machines, just to keep the memory alive.

Right now, I'm using Windows 95 in 86Box - my preferred PCEM fork.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 40, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I put up with 9x, never loved it. When 2000 came out dropped that shit for good so I guess it had a good 4-5 years of annoying me but I was using NT4 alongside of it for most of that so wasn't too bad. Only use it now in emulators for the few games that need it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 40, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Always a love/hate relationship with Win98. On the one hand, a fully tweaked Win98SE system was pretty fast, and a decent gaming OS, providing DirectX tech like DS3D and Direct3D. Also, Win98 provided direct access back to DOS for really demanding games. However, it was pretty unstable and crashed often. But, since my Win98E system rebooted in about 30 seconds, I really didn't care too much.

In my opinion, NT and XP were a step backward for gaming, with the OS taking up more resources. The next good gaming OS from Microsoft is Win7, which I still use today. Need DOSbox, ScummVM, DxWin, and source ports to continue legacy gaming, but I still have most of my Win98SE games working today on Win7.

Reply 18 of 40, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All The Lovers, that have gone before, they don't compare... to Windows 98!

Just happen to be a huge Kylie Minogue fan, you know.

JaKSLaP wrote:

Agreed!

Seconded. Many great games were produced in Windows 98 era, like European Air War and Jane's F/A-18. Some of them could run on XP, but many of them would need patches or tweaks to do so. And that's the reason to build a Windows 98 box on the first place.

I haven't been able to run European Air War since I moved to XP. First, I blamed nVidia, since it's error 7217, which is GeForce problem instead of Windows XP problem. But then I recently built a Windows XP computer using Radeon HD 7770. Well, the error 7217 gone, but the game keep crashing whenever I took a flight, so I guess there's no way I could run the game on XP.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 40, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because Windows XP was already out by the time I was little, I didn't use it that often back then, I used it only a few times last decade - on a Gateway Solo 2100 laptop back in 2005, and on a VM in 2008. I agree that it's not as stable as any common NT-based Windows version but 9x was never that stable to begin with. I still have several systems running Windows 9x in my collection, the ones that get most attention are the two systems on my signature because those are the systems I mainly use for games from the era.

JaKSLaP wrote:

Agreed!

Thirded. It was an absolute PITA to get 98SE to get along with my SB Live! cards but now it's all taken care of after trying a few different drivers to see which one was the correct one for my card model, on computers with subpar integrated audio chipsets this wasn't a problem but there was the usual lack of DirectSound acceleration which totally ruined the experience.