VOGONS

First post, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm planning out some of the stuff I want to do this weekend, and it got me to thinking about my Win 98 SE / AM2 build using the K8T890 chipset. Everything works okay so far except for the integrated RTL8111 PCIe network interface. At this point, drivers load, but the physical interface isn't working. No DHCP, no ping. Presumably this problem can be resolved (I've only just tickled it), but it seems harder than it should be.

So, in this vein, what hardware do you know of that is "supported" in Win 98 SE but problematic, or is surprisingly unsupported in SE.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1 of 3, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the LEDs on the port are illuminating or changing state when a cable is connected (to another device, natch) or when you try to issue network commands, but nothing is happening in Windows, it may be something screwy with the driver. I'll admit my troubleshooting experience with Win9X networking is minimal, as I tend to only deal with Linksys or D-Link cards of the appropriate era, so my problems tend to be "this expansion card was sitting in a cardboard box under a pile of dead CD drives for almost 20 years, so it may be fried"/

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd start by the fact that you are trying to use PCIe in Windows 98SE on an AM2 board. I mean I am a complete and total maniac who still does daily prints on a dot matrix machine connected to a P3 Win98SE box, but that's a bit too insane, and I am not surprised you are having issues.

I'd suggest a PCI NIC. If you can't find one thrown on the side of the road I would be surprised, and you likely already have one.

Reply 3 of 3, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can use RTL8111Cs on my EP45-UD3P with Win98SE. Drivers from Realtek : LINK (bottom of the list).

Side note : LANs didn't like my messing around with IRQ's (default was IRQ "5" and "7", since I got two LANs on my board).

157143230295.png