VOGONS

486 asus motherboard with no slots

Topic actions

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was offered this motherboard but i said no. for now. because there are no slots to install a soundblaster card or other components. i do see it is a 486 motherboard with integrated S3 video..wow

can anyone tell me what is the only slot for?
so these were sold without the ability to upgrade?

this is the board

IMG-20170924-_WA0012.jpg

Reply 2 of 28, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume that slot in the center of the board would host a riser card that would host PCI, and perhaps some ISA cards. Finding that card might be a task in and of itself, but if the board will at least POST with a processor and some RAM, then it may be worth it. All I do is just acquire random technology over the course of literal decades, then periodically try to fill in the gaps and build complete systems with chunks of my collection. Of course, this is a bad thing to do with ebay, since prices tend to go up and approach infinity over time.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 3 of 28, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:

you put in the daughter pcb there so you have isa/pci

That's pretty typical for LPX boards of the time. You could probably locate the daughterboard for that on ebay.

Finding a case to fit it in will be more difficult though.

Reply 4 of 28, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:
mrau wrote:

you put in the daughter pcb there so you have isa/pci

That's pretty typical for LPX boards of the time. You could probably locate the daughterboard for that on ebay.

Finding a case to fit it in will be more difficult though.

just dremel the entire back face out and you're set

Reply 5 of 28, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The daughter boards for this style of connector are analog boards , so essentially any daughter board from a packard bell , compaq , or ibm pc/aptiva series will work provided it uses the same connector.

As for cases this motherboard is compatible with packard bell cases , ibm pc series cases , and industrial cases for point of sales machines. The back plate has all flat laying I/O which was the only somewhat standard variant of LPX.

Reply 7 of 28, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You even have the manual...... 🤣 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 28, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Enlight made some LPX cases that might work for that. I can't seem to find which riser works with it exactly, except that it should be a 2 PCI + some ISA version. I'm not sure how many ISA slots. It definitely should not include any EISA or VLB slots. The onboard IDE and graphics should be on the PCI bus.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 9 of 28, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for the comments.
i have been looking for PCI ISA RISER on ebay. i saw a bunch with different fittings. im not sure which could work.

can anyone give me an advise with a link on ebay?
i saw some compaq risers that might fit

Reply 10 of 28, by Adrian_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You also have two sockets for additional video memory (brown sockets with pins on the inside edge, located towards the top of the motherboard in your picture. You should probably be able to ebay these modules cheap and they are useful for displaying higher resolutions on these old video cards.

Reply 11 of 28, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just want to add that it's an Asus board, they even have the support page still up: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/PCII-A486S/HelpDesk_Manual/

Looks like a nice board, proper battery etc, but finding the riser and case might be a pain.

1982 to 2001

Reply 12 of 28, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a pretty good board - the chipset and the front side bus settings combined with the double banked cache might yield some truly nice performance. Also a "good" onboard gfx solution is dandy.
The missing riser card is a pain in the angus but you can still use the system until you get the right "adapter".

Reply 13 of 28, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reading through the manual, I was wrong - it seems to support only 1 additional PCI device, so the riser should be either 1 PCI + 2 ISA or 1 PCI + 4 ISA (PCI + 2 ISA on one side, 2 ISA on the other), based on the most common LPX case layouts.

Otherwise, it seems like a pretty good board. If you can find the riser, throw in your favorite sound card (ESS1869+Dreamblaster would be great for most games that'll run on a 486), an Am5x86/133, probably 32MB of RAM (since it looks like the board has 256k of cache), maybe a PCI network card. That's a pretty good video card for DOS games, too.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 14 of 28, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this one in my spare parts/recycler box. It's branded Tulip and might not work if I read the comment above me, but I have no use for it so you can have it if you want for shipping costs. Although depending on where you are located those might be steep and we'll need to find out if it is compatible...

8dpbH27l.jpg?1

tCxq4oAl.jpg?1

HWqLURrl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 15 of 28, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I have this one in my spare parts/recycler box. It's branded Tulip and might not work if I read the comment above me, but I have […]
Show full quote

I have this one in my spare parts/recycler box. It's branded Tulip and might not work if I read the comment above me, but I have no use for it so you can have it if you want for shipping costs. Although depending on where you are located those might be steep and we'll need to find out if it is compatible...

8dpbH27l.jpg?1

tCxq4oAl.jpg?1

HWqLURrl.jpg?1

thats exactly what i need.
i wonder if it will still work even tho it has 2 pci and 2 ISA. Maybe there is no issue if i only use one pci and one ISA.

i took measures....full length of the card that gets inserted from pin1 to the last should be 13.5cm
length of one hole is 8.2cm and the other hole is 5.2cm
62 upper pins on one hole, 36 upper pins on the other hole ( i did not count the pins at the bottom, i know at the bottom there are more.

could it work with the one cyrix200 posted?

Reply 16 of 28, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
thats exactly what i need. i wonder if it will still work even tho it has 2 pci and 2 ISA. Maybe there is no issue if i only use […]
Show full quote

i wonder if it will still work even tho it has 2 pci and 2 ISA. Maybe there is no issue if i only use one pci and one ISA.

i took measures....full length of the card that gets inserted from pin1 to the last should be 13.5cm
62 upper pins on one hole, 36 upper pins on the other hole ( i did not count the pins at the bottom, i know at the bottom there are more.

No. The board has socket 3 and cyrix 200 requires socket 5 or 7.

Reply 17 of 28, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
Pabloz wrote:
thats exactly what i need. i wonder if it will still work even tho it has 2 pci and 2 ISA. Maybe there is no issue if i only use […]
Show full quote

No. The board has socket 3 and cyrix 200 requires socket 5 or 7.

🤣, im talking about cyrix200 the user of the forum, not the cpu

Reply 18 of 28, by commodore71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2017-09-26, 17:46:

Hi!
I´m looking for one of those. Do you still have it or know where to get one?
Best regards Jens

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-19, 15:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 28, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
commodore71 wrote on 2020-06-19, 10:14:
Hi! I´m looking for one of those. Do you still have it or know where to get one? Best regards Jens […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2017-09-26, 17:46:

Hi!
I´m looking for one of those. Do you still have it or know where to get one?
Best regards Jens

I should still have it. Somewhere. Do you need this one specifically? What board do you need it for?

Also, even though it's 2.5 years ago, I did promise it to Pabloz but my guess it he found another solution.

Pabloz wrote on 2017-10-01, 18:51:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I have this one in my spare parts/recycler box. It's branded Tulip and might not work if I read the comment above me, but I have […]
Show full quote

<snip>

1982 to 2001