VOGONS

First post, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oddly enough, if I try to browse Google via one of their IP addresses while using a Google DNS address, the domain name comes up in the address bar, but still fails to do much of anything. Browsing my own site's IP address throws an error, but it does the same on my main system, so that's just the host. I can ping domains from DOS without issue, but in IE3, no go, even on HTML 1.0 sites. I had similar problems about 14 years ago, but at least back then, sites would actually load.

5.png
Filename
5.png
File size
27.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Settings
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Linksys LNE2000T
PING works in DOS without issue.
Error in a DOS prompt within Windows, when attempting to ping any domain, is as follows:
DGN0209: Internal software error (NMDRV Tcp Driver Error)
(Pressing the print screen key, even when the prompt is windowed, causes the keyboard driver and Windows to crash)
Only changed the primary DNS to my router's IP right before taking this screenshot, as a test. No better results than using any other DNS addresses.

Goes without saying that research has returned nothing. Using Microsoft's TCP/IP pack from their own FTP server from forever ago. Network file transfers work, and as domain resolution works in pure DOS, I suspect something else is going on after Windows loads, but it's the middle of the night, and I have a day in hades awaiting me at work in the morning. Thanks in advance if anyone besides the poor bastiches in the nineties (who never got a response for their requests) has found the solution. I've probably just been up too long and am missing something obvious.

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
90.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Miami Vice intensifies.
File license
2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
12.35 KiB
Views
File comment
Oldternet, ho!
File license
3.png
Filename
3.png
File size
12.68 KiB
Views
File comment
No go.
File license
Last edited by Mister Xiado on 2017-10-14, 00:49. Edited 1 time in total.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 1 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried the 32bit tcp ip stack ? The one that came with windows 3.11 didn't work for me, but the 32 bit one did

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 4, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll hunt it down and give it a go tomorrow night, barring any major disasters. Wasn't sure on what would or would not play ball with a 16 bit NIC, as most of my Windows 3 and DOS experience was from the mid nineties, with NO Internet or network access available outside of the rare chance to use someone else's dialup at their house, on their computer.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can be found here as MS pulled it about a year ago 🙁
http://scrounge.org/tips/wfwg/tcp32b.exe

I would also use DHCP off your router for IP and DNS settings, at least for initial troubleshooting. If you don't get an IP allocated you know something isn't quite right straight away where as static IP's can hide underlying issues.

Reply 4 of 4, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks muchly, I'll give it a go, and hope that it doesn't freak everything out and require a reinstall. I prefer static IPs so I can hard-link files over the network for various reasons, but after I test the TCP fix, we'll see what happens. Most of the DOS/Win1/2/3 sites I had bookmarked a while back are purged from the web now, and alas, the only sites I mirrored back then were Nintendo Entertainment System fansites.

EDIT:
Everything works perfectly now, with minimal fuss. Since I have to install Win3 on another 486 at some point, you've saved me a future migraine. The people shall tell the tales of your heroism throughout the ages. Now to get my system infested with Michaelangelo, AIDS, ANTIEXE, and a whole host of other ancient viruses.