Common searches

Technically impressive FM synth music

Topic actions

Reply 163 of 240, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good call! May I also add the attract mode music from Virtua Racing Deluxe? Utterly fantastic sound.

Also, every Streets of Rage game, Yuzo Koshiro is a mastermind!

Last edited by F2bnp on 2015-05-27, 10:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 164 of 240, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also Knuckles Chaotix.... which I tracked two tunes from it to .mod once as accurately as I could with the knowledge I knew at the time.

It's just Genesis hardware + 32X CPU playing back some form of compressed PCM, not much different than what the SegaCD could do.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 165 of 240, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't the 32x add some extra audio channels? I know the Genesis has FM alongside a PSG and a single PCM channel, but I'm pretty sure the 32x has more than that.

Reply 166 of 240, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attract mode is short but good.
I do think most of the Chaotix tracks are good too.
The 32x version of afterburner is also nice.

I still have real genesis early model 1 that lacks the TMSS screen, and the 32x plugged into it. Sounds good 😎

Reply 168 of 240, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That version of E1M1. 🤣 I'm sure they could have done it better, because it sounds decent enough on OPL3. They must have used the GENS sound driver that so many US-developed Genesis games have.

Reply 169 of 240, by Holering

User metadata
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Didn't the 32x add some extra audio channels? I know the Genesis has FM alongside a PSG and a single PCM channel, but I'm pretty sure the 32x has more than that.

I think it did. I know the 32X added PSG. I'm not sure if it's considered a pure OPL3 synthesis.

Mortal Kombat 2 had good FM sounding music IMO, on both 32X and Genesis. Mortal Kombat 2 on 32X was also 32megs so it had more SFX than SNES version; it's one of the best ports IMO and made me wish the 32X had gotten way more games.

EDIT:
How does this sound? (FF5_01_Ahead_On_Our_Way.mid + http://www.hot.ee/news4form/OPL3.SF2)

http://speedy.sh/RegXH/ff5.flac

Reply 170 of 240, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone wanted Modaozi (aka Prince of Evil), you can listen to the tracks here.
http://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/modaozi-ibm-pc-at

EDIT: RIX pack for this game (including a track I missed) two posts below.

Last edited by MaliceX on 2014-11-10, 15:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 171 of 240, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That version of E1M1. 🤣 I'm sure they could have done it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brBQVcf37Xc

Remastered version using the 32X hardware, sounds much, much better not as good as the snes version.

Reply 172 of 240, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Modaozi (aka Prince of Evil) RIX data!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1287967/modaozi_at.zip (packaged as a hoot set - xml in zip, but the RIX files are probably what you want).

I figured out how to extract the RIX music data while playing the game in DOSBOX and using OllyDbg to extract via Memory Map viewer. Also identified where each music comes from game files and have been named accordingly (more than one track in some parts of the game).

Enjoy!

PS: Adplug plays these terribly, Hoot plays it too fast. Use RIX.EXE in DOSBOX for playback like in-game

Reply 173 of 240, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More OPL3 MIDI driver tests. This time with conversions from YU-NO (PC98). (what if elf ported YU-NO to non-PC98 MS-DOS with OPL3 FM years ago like with Doukyusei?)
Simulating that awesome OPM/OPN/OPNA 4op bell synth sound with OPL3 2x2op (OPL3 4op 2x2 algorithm cannot do this due to lack of detune between operators 🙁 )

Ryu Umemoto (original by Manabu Kunieda) - Yui Narusawa
VGM Log (YMF262) | CMI8738 output | YMF724F-V output

Ryu Umemoto - Kanna
VGM log (YMF262) | CMI8738 output | YMF724F-V output

Reply 174 of 240, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

YU-NO was never released at IBM-PC DOS. But it was notable someone made PC-playable patch about "DK4" and "Kakyusei".

Your upload is very good OPL composing compare to horrible commercial OPL3 FM synth games.
In my opinion, for good OPL music, an instrument should not use just one channel of FM. So I don't really like korean type of ROL/IMS music use a bank which define every instrument just a FM channel. (Or FM-MIDI which just swapped FM to poor GM)

Most annoying about elf/silky's is they made good music using YM2203. But in PC-conversion, they didn't like convert OPN to OPL2. I don't know this was to make same operators per channel for their convenience. But even they used OPL3 synth, their music has less instruments than OPN. (and used less than half about actual OPL3 chip capacity.)
Changing vision to Gainax, PM2 had perfect OPL2 musics. OPL2 have much potential than OPN and they did it. But change vision to PM1, it was betrayal to PC game users. They have less OPL2 composing skills at that time? NO! Their MSX-FM(OPLL) was perfect enough. If they just released it with OPLL music for our adlib/SB, it could be a legend too. (And they finally "created bullshit" PM1 music in X68000.)

Now all we can do is finding good composers genius about FM synth, but maybe hard to obtain their know-how making instruments.
(and korea FM communities suffers a strange guy(he is here too) begging money for his HDD repairing for his OPL3 instruments.(Yes, like bank type too. no good instruments will be find his HDD)

Reply 175 of 240, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ik777 wrote:

YU-NO was never released at IBM-PC DOS. But it was notable someone made PC-playable patch about "DK4" and "Kakyusei".

Your upload is very good OPL composing compare to horrible commercial OPL3 FM synth games.
In my opinion, for good OPL music, an instrument should not use just one channel of FM. So I don't really like korean type of ROL/IMS music use a bank which define every instrument just a FM channel. (Or FM-MIDI which just swapped FM to poor GM)

Incidentally, my OPL3 test recordings involve improvements to Windows FM-MIDI. Still very buggy and not fit for general use however, but it's mainly to illustrate that this is an example of it being done right. (it's actually quite rare to see good examples of Windows FM-MIDI music that isn't just a total bastardization of GM. 🙁 ).

ik777 wrote:

Most annoying about elf/silky's is they made good music using YM2203. But in PC-conversion, they didn't like convert OPN to OPL2. I don't know this was to make same operators per channel for their convenience. But even they used OPL3 synth, their music has less instruments than OPN. (and used less than half about actual OPL3 chip capacity.)

Yeah, you'd think the OPN soundtracks would fit the OPL2 better, but I guess whoever programmed the PLAY5V music data felt they only needed 3 channels max with proper 4op, since YM2203 (OPN) was basically that. (not including their weird CSM modes).

ik777 wrote:

Changing vision to Gainax, PM2 had perfect OPL2 musics. OPL2 have much potential than OPN and they did it. But change vision to PM1, it was betrayal to PC game users. They have less OPL2 composing skills at that time? NO! Their MSX-FM(OPLL) was perfect enough. If they just released it with OPLL music for our adlib/SB, it could be a legend too. (And they finally "created bullshit" PM1 music in X68000.)

Yeah. The OPLL soundtracks would have been fine I agree. 😜 Speaking of which, I came across this youtube video of an IMS player for MSX. Interesting it's even possible. Drum sounds aren't too bad considering the OPLL limitations.
I'd like to get my hands on any file specifications for IMS (and possibly SOP) if possible. (cafe.naver.com does not allow non-korean user registration).

ik777 wrote:

Now all we can do is finding good composers genius about FM synth, but maybe hard to obtain their know-how making instruments.
(and korea FM communities suffers a strange guy(he is here too) begging money for his HDD repairing for his OPL3 instruments.(Yes, like bank type too. no good instruments will be find his HDD)

hahaha yes. 😉

Reply 176 of 240, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this video while it's technically demonstrating the OPL4 on the MSX, bear in mind the FM examples are 100% compatible to OPL3.

All sample music by naruto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCb5cwASC4

Reply 178 of 240, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaliceX wrote:

this video while it's technically demonstrating the OPL4 on the MSX, bear in mind the FM examples are 100% compatible to OPL3.

All sample music by naruto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCb5cwASC4

Very good music thanks for sharing.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 179 of 240, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It probably and hopefully was mentioned in a million posts above but I LOVE alloyrun..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.