VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I removed the front panel of my AT case last night to configure the speed display thinking I would find an array of jumpers to set. Instead I found this:

gallery_60983_11505_37898.jpg

gallery_60983_11505_1411.jpg

How am I supposed to set this up? Has anyone used something like this before?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simple answer : you can't ... I've got one like this that either says "hi" or "lo"

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

Simple answer : you can't ... I've got one like this that either says "hi" or "lo"

I'd be happy with even that, but this one gives me nothing. I'm thinking the two remaining jumpers are for connecting power to? They say G (Ground?) and 5V - not sure where to get that power from, though..

Reply 3 of 15, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My panels get power directly from the PSU on those pins, that seems to be the standard design.

If you've got the complete original build there, there might still be a 2-pin adaptor hanging off one of the Molex connectors. If you don't have the right connector it shouldn't be too hard to make one up.

Reply 5 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Motherboard headers originally provided the required voltage header. Yours might not have the pins, if it's modern enough.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5v and gnd is certainly its power input.

if your motherboard doesn't have power for it, you need to get it through Molex. You can get +5v that way, mine uses a pass through adapter that outputs molex and the 2 pin power connector for the turbo switch. I'm not sure where to find those outside of the guts of an old machine, so i would just hack up your basic molex cable and connect +5v and gnd to the turbo display.

That display looks quite butchered though, as if somebody took an iron to it years ago. Id expect it says hi and lo if it works though 😀. I'd clean off that corrosion too.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 9 of 15, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

L O L and HIH? 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 10 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cliffclaven wrote:

LO and HI seems like kind of a waste for a 3 digit display.

That's a good point since its clearly a 3 digit display. Makes no sense, maybe it says off on.. 🤣

Whatever jumpers it did have were butchered and burned by whoever wanted to use solder to short them though...

Reply 11 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The third digit sometimes just was a dot.
Perhaps to help find out orientation, dunno.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a molex to fan adapter somewhere I think I can reaire that with some jumper cables to get 5 and find out in a few days. I hope it says 🤣 and HIH though 😁

Reply 14 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I have a molex to fan adapter somewhere I think I can reaire that with some jumper cables to get 5 and find out in a few days. I hope it says 🤣 and HIH though 😁

That should be an easy job, just remove whatever wire is on the 12v pin and solder it (or just jury rig it to the 5v wire coming out of the molex connector and electric tape it off) to the 5v on the molex plug.. the two middle pins are ground.

It could say A$$ and POO if you're extra lucky. 😎

Reply 15 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

That should be an easy job, just remove whatever wire is on the 12v pin and solder it (or just jury rig it to the 5v wire coming out of the molex connector and electric tape it off) to the 5v on the molex plug.. the two middle pins are ground.

It could say A$$ and POO if you're extra lucky. 😎

I was hoping FCK and YOU but that's almost as good 😎