VOGONS

First post, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think my free find 7600GS AGP 512 MB is buggered up - pretty sure it's the memory chips. It works, but lots of texture problems. Not heat or power supply related.
Anyways, I'm happy enough with the performance that this card provides, so what might be in the same class as a 7600GS AGP? With similar power requirements and stable WinXP drivers.

System is a P4 2.93 running WinXP and it's only for playing Win95,98,XP era games.

Reply 2 of 16, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

If you are happy with the performance of that card why not get another one?

I may, but depending on what I can find on ebay. If there is an ATI in the same class, and it's cheaper and recommended, then I would do that.

Reply 3 of 16, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well HD3850 is a great card for AGP. I have both cards. Well, I have several AGP cards and sometimes it all comes to a matter of taste (and by that I mean the games you play).

Reply 5 of 16, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also depends on your AGP slot speed. If you have AGP 8x, then you can use any high-end AGP card like that. But I have a MB with a 4x slot and got a Radeon x700 that refuses to let the system POST. It's because it requires an 8x AGP slot with the lower voltage.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 7 of 16, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2,93GHz Pentium 4... get a 7600 GT/GS or Radeon 9800 Pro (if you can have something slower than 7600 GS).
6600 GT/6800 GS are also an option (last one depends on PSU).
Don't buy 7800 GS (they are usually overpriced).
Check what MB you have in CPU-z (maybe it's old BIOS that has problemns with newer cards ?).

157143230295.png

Reply 8 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cliffclaven wrote:

I think my free find 7600GS AGP 512 MB is buggered up - pretty sure it's the memory chips. It works, but lots of texture problems. Not heat or power supply related.
Anyways, I'm happy enough with the performance that this card provides, so what might be in the same class as a 7600GS AGP? With similar power requirements and stable WinXP drivers.

System is a P4 2.93 running WinXP and it's only for playing Win95,98,XP era games.

3650 AGP.

Reply 9 of 16, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
2,93GHz Pentium 4... get a 7600 GT/GS or Radeon 9800 Pro (if you can have something slower than 7600 GS). 6600 GT/6800 GS are al […]
Show full quote

2,93GHz Pentium 4... get a 7600 GT/GS or Radeon 9800 Pro (if you can have something slower than 7600 GS).
6600 GT/6800 GS are also an option (last one depends on PSU).
Don't buy 7800 GS (they are usually overpriced).
Check what MB you have in CPU-z (maybe it's old BIOS that has problemns with newer cards ?).

It's actually a Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 (AGP 8x) and I want to update the bios, but I can't tell if it's revision 1.x or 2. It does currently have an old bios from 2004 (F2c), and both revision 1.x and 2 have newer bioses available. I don't want to flash the wrong revision.

Reply 13 of 16, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

A recap could fix that.

Failing that its probably a good candidate for the oven baking trick.

I'd also like to remind everyone that X1950 Pro and 6800XT both exist and appear cheaply often, although the former is pretty much bottleneckee by any single core.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14 of 16, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cliffclaven wrote:

It's actually a Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 (AGP 8x) and I want to update the bios, but I can't tell if it's revision 1.x or 2. It does currently have an old bios from 2004 (F2c), and both revision 1.x and 2 have newer bioses available. I don't want to flash the wrong revision.

Well, 1.0 uses F1, F2, F3, and F4, while 2.0 revision has FA, FB, and FC.
On top of that, all rev. v2.0 BIOS versions are from 2006, so you must have a 1.x board.

157143230295.png

Reply 15 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

A recap could fix that.

I'd also like to remind everyone that X1950 Pro and 6800XT both exist and appear cheaply often, although the former is pretty much bottleneckee by any single core.

Yup. The X1950 pro is my favorite AGP video card. It's about 2.5-3x faster then a 6800XT/LE and lets AGP machines to 2005-2006 and newer games. Too bad there are no win9x drivers.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

A recap could fix that.

Possibility. But I'm more so willing to bet that's bad vram. If a recap dose not fix the problems.
I know EVGA cards from the time are Very well know to have bad caps. Most of the mid range stuff they from in the 7/8 cards can have bad caps. Their AMD board form the time too.