VOGONS

First post, by nicka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

'Murder makes strange deadfellows' is a rare game but can be found on a abandonware site.
It crashes everytime after few seconds
'Exit to error: PIC:Unhandled command 68'

Reply 3 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Not sure if this will work, but try editing the file dosbox.conf (should be in the same directory as the dosbox.exe itself). Find the section named "sdl", and try changing the value of "output=" to one of "surface", "overlay", "opengl", or "openglnb".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 17, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, what I'm getting here with 0.63 is two splash screens with grey background (and accompanying redbook audio), then scene with a castle, then about a second of music and out to the prompt with "aborted." Is that what you're seeing?

IRunning under the normal core it exits with "Exit to error: PIC:Unhandled command 48" (OCW3 reset special mask) which indeed does not appear to be implemented in pic.cpp.

However, as 4A is implemented (reset special mask and read ISR on next read), I simply copied it over (without changing the ISR/IRR bit), and this makes it work. Patch against current CVS attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    OCW3_48.diff
    File size
    680 Bytes
    Downloads
    167 downloads
    File comment
    Implements PIC OCW3 48--reset special
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 17, by nicka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zorach wrote:

Hmm, what I'm getting here with 0.63 is two splash screens with grey background (and accompanying redbook audio), then scene with a castle, then about a second of music and out to the prompt with "aborted." Is that what you're seeing?

yep

zorach wrote:

IRunning under the normal core it exits with "Exit to error: PIC:Unhandled command 48" (OCW3 reset special mask) which indeed does not appear to be implemented in pic.cpp.

However, as 4A is implemented (reset special mask and read ISR on next read), I simply copied it over (without changing the ISR/IRR bit), and this makes it work. Patch against current CVS attached.

How can I install this patch?

Reply 7 of 17, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can I install this patch?

Ah, well, there are three ways to do that...
-grab the latest CVS, apply patch, compile, install. Since you're asking the question, I doubt this is a good route for you
-Hope the DOSBox maintainers decide this is worth including and put it in the main source tree, then grab the latest CVS build (unsupported, may have sharp edges)
-Same as #2, except wait for the next official release

So for now, basically, wait 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that recent changes broke something in this game. I have CVS from 29.4.2005 and graphics in the intro looks fine, but with current CVS the pictures are garbled. The messy graphics is probably only in the intro, everything looks fine later in the game (but I did not play it until the end). I attached two pictures - the game intro in current CVS and the same scene in CVS from 29.4.2005.

Attachments

Reply 15 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I checked the cvs for changes in that period.

I would be happy if somebody could figure out which ones are responsible.
I removed all non-relevant code

Attachments

• Filename
    weirdcolour.diff
    File size
    7.24 KiB
    Downloads
    153 downloads
    File comment
    weirdcolour strange fellow dates diff
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could this be related: RoA : Star Trail + Dosbox 0.62, still annoying graphics glitchs

eL_pusher reports problems in the latest CVS. I was able to replicate corrupted palette symptoms.

Reply 17 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that problem is older. although it might be related. (as it got worse I recall)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!