Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P3 933Mhz
512MB SDRAM
GF3 Ti200
SB Audigy
WinME

The most demanding games I've currently got on here are Jedi Outcast, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Deus Ex, and NFS: High Stakes. Other (less demanding) games I've also got on here are Unreal, UT99, Undying, X-Wing Alliance, and Thief Gold.

3DMark2001 score is about 4750.

What are some other games that would push this system, but still run well?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

KOTOR1 will play on that system, and push it hard. It will slow down at times depending on the video settings.
I know I maxed out KOTOR2 on a Piii-s 1.4ghz with an fx5950 and it ran fine with vary few slowdowns.

Really. That's a 2006 game, I'd think it wouldn't run very well on even a high-end 2000/2001 rig.

I came up with a list of games I've never played that seem like they might push this system. Am I on the right track?
Unreal 2
SimCity 4
Morrowind
Syberia
GTA3
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Reply 2 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. My bad on the 2006 release. Wasn't paying attention to Google, it was talking about the book, not the game.

Not interested in upgrading the system. I like to settle on a system (this one focuses on late 2000 through 2001), then find good games that were published at most a couple of years later that push the system. KOTOR is a good match, I'll add it to my list.

Reply 3 of 16, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steering a little off topic out of curiosity, which graphics driver version do you have running?

I can't get RTCW working, on both Win98 and WinXP single player mode just gray screens on startup.. no matter which patch version I install, But I can get multiplayer going fine. It's happening even after a reformat and change from an MX440 to a GeForce 3 so I'm guessing my nvidia driver may be too modern.

I also tried Morrowind on mine (P3 800), but performance was a little underwhelming for me. It was definitely playable, but I originally played it on a Pentium 4 2.4ghz back in 2003, so was a bit spoiled by this game always running nicely.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Steering a little off topic out of curiosity, which graphics driver version do you have running?

I can't get RTCW working, on both Win98 and WinXP single player mode just gray screens on startup.. no matter which patch version I install

I'm using 45.23. But I'm using the GOG version of RTCW (which I assume is patched up). Just copied the whole folder over from my modern PC and deleted a few GOG-specific files and it worked without any tinkering.

edit: what DX version are you using? I'm on 8.1b.

Reply 5 of 16, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I can't get RTCW working, on both Win98 and WinXP single player mode just gray screens on startup.. no matter which patch version I install

I'm using 45.23. But I'm using the GOG version of RTCW (which I assume is patched up). Just copied the whole folder over from my modern PC and deleted a few GOG-specific files and it worked without any tinkering.

edit: what DX version are you using? I'm on 8.1b.

Hmm, currently looking at XP I have DX 9.0C installed. I'm going to see about dropping down to 45.23 and trying the game again first and hopefully that cures it.

I have the GOTY edition CDs but it's likely the exact same version from GOG once patched.

Fixed - looks like something is up with my install CDs, about 200 MB of data doesn't get installed and the installer throws no error, fixed it by copying the main folder from my steam installation.. Sorry for going off topic.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Frankly, I'm really surprised at how good RTCW looks and how smoothly it plays on this rig. I cleared the opening castle and just got into the first town. Such a good game, I may have to play all the way through on this rig. I wonder if it would be able to handle Far Cry? 🤣

Reply 8 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote:

Rtcw is one of my most favorite games so much fun to play. Far cry should run fine on that system

I'm not sure about Far Cry. Reason being, I just tried Unreal 2 and it was rough. At least at 1024x768 with all details maxed. I haven't had time to play with resolutions and details to find a good balance, but if Unreal 2 is straining this system, I'm not sure Far Cry won't be worse.

Reply 9 of 16, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking at the system requirements it shouldn't be too bad. I'd say give it a shot.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/re … s/far-cry/10247

Reply 10 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote:

Looking at the system requirements it shouldn't be too bad. I'd say give it a shot.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/re … s/far-cry/10247

Turning shadows off helped Unreal 2 a lot. It's still not perfectly smooth, but way better than before. I also tried dropping resolutions, color depths and details, and none have a huge impact, which tells me the game wants more CPU. So I stuck it back on 1024x768x32 left all details maxed and left shadows disabled. What's cool is I totally forgot that I ever had Unreal 2 back in the day. But after getting on the ship and touring the cabins, I was like "OMG, I remember this game!". So anyway, I am probably not going to try Far Cry because it is a DX9 game and I'm trying to keep this machine somewhat period correct to 2000-2001. DX9 I associate with 2003 minimum. Maybe I'll change my mind. 😀

Reply 11 of 16, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome about unreal 2 I have played that game more than I can remember solo much fun. If I remember correctly far cry has a DX 8 mode as well as DX 9 i remember playing it on a geforce 2 ultra back when it first came out and not having any issues

Reply 12 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's hilarious... I remember maxing out Unreal 2 on just a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 something or other just fine.

Amazing how much of a difference the 3 is in comparison to the 4.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

That's hilarious... I remember maxing out Unreal 2 on just a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 something or other just fine.

Amazing how much of a difference the 3 is in comparison to the 4.

Do you remember which cpu that was with? I get the impression I am cpu bound, rather than gpu.

Reply 15 of 16, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
clueless1 wrote:
Really. That's a 2006 game, I'd think it wouldn't run very well on even a high-end 2000/2001 rig. […]
Show full quote
Jade Falcon wrote:

KOTOR1 will play on that system, and push it hard. It will slow down at times depending on the video settings.
I know I maxed out KOTOR2 on a Piii-s 1.4ghz with an fx5950 and it ran fine with vary few slowdowns.

Really. That's a 2006 game, I'd think it wouldn't run very well on even a high-end 2000/2001 rig.

I came up with a list of games I've never played that seem like they might push this system. Am I on the right track?
Unreal 2
SimCity 4
Morrowind
Syberia
GTA3
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Kotor runs very well on a PIII haven't tried kotor II on it. I run Kotor at high settings with my 1,4 Ghz PIII and Geforce4 TI 4200.
try battlefield 1942 and farcry, those will really push your system.

Reply 16 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Battlefield 1942's "AI bots" also really kill system performance if you set the sliders for them too high as well.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων