VOGONS

Reply 1560 of 4586, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

imho the 3x zero fill is really overkill unless you find something sortid. Hell, I'm selling a 486 right now on ebay I got from a garage sale. I left the file system intact, because it had some special Acer windows apps. Reinstalling them without source disks would be a pita. So I just slapped the drive in my win7 machine, and used sdelete to get rid of anything that might have sensitive data. Only thing was 2 years of taxcut. Didn't even have the data saved on the hard drive. They must have used floppies.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1561 of 4586, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

3 0 passes are a wast of time. The idea of multi pass wipes is to cover all parts of the disk. Simply 0'ing the drive a few times is likely to miss the cat/tail of a sector or two. Your best bet is to 0 the drive, fill with random data and 0 it again. But 99% of data is likely lost to one pass of 0's The 1% left is likely noting that could be used. just broken metadata likely.

Edit:
And always remember bad sectors. you have to reset them and attest try to wipe them to do it right. But if your at that point of data paranoia you may as well melt the drive down.

Reply 1562 of 4586, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found today at my work, the mythical asus P5A in great shape, along with a boring savage 4 pro, not pictured.

Attachments

• 20171114_182123.jpg
    Filename
    20171114_182123.jpg
    File size
    359.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1563 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mut wrote:

Found today at my work, the mythical asus P5A in great shape, along with a boring savage 4 pro, not pictured.

Sweet board.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1564 of 4586, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mut wrote:

Savage 4 is not a boring card.. And also a card I need in my collection. Metal is nice 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1565 of 4586, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mut wrote:

Sweet, and congrats. 😀 What revision is it?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1566 of 4586, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

Oh im gonna photograph it later today, but booted it today, previous owner was a pervert and im tempted to turn his old HDD over to the police, its got some disturbing pictures

Can not wonder, but thinking what type of ill shit that might have been? I would have done it too.

Reply 1567 of 4586, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Savage 4 is not a boring card.. And also a card I need in my collection. Metal is nice 😀

For sure I will keep the card in my collection, but exists much more useful cards.

brostenen wrote:

Sadly rev 1.06 , no k6 plus support. Now that I finally found a k6 2 + 533 on a old compaq armada notebook.

Reply 1568 of 4586, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mut wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Sadly rev 1.06 , no k6 plus support. Now that I finally found a k6 2 + 533 on a old compaq armada notebook.

Well... If it can support a non-Plus K6-3 CPU, and you have a good cooler on it.
Then you will not miss out on performance. The only downside will be that you can not use degrader software.
On the other hand. It can just as well be done, by entering the BIOS and setting stuff manually.

My K6-3 system is a non-Plus, clocked at 400mhz (stock/standard clocking), and it has a big efficient cooler.
And as everyone else is searching for plus editions, and I have no need for degrading, I simply went for the non-Plus.

Anyway... Great find.

Reply 1569 of 4586, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mut wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

For sure I will keep the card in my collection, but exists much more useful cards.

The S4 Pro has excellent DOS compatibility. It's extremely useful in a S7 or SS7 build.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1570 of 4586, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found three more 3M Microtouch touchscreen panels for 17" CRT's. The are all curved for Shadow Mask tubes so far though so they do not fit on a Trinitron and surprise, that's all I have. 😒

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1571 of 4586, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saved a Commodore 128, 1571, 1541 and a 1702 monitor from the recycler today. 😁

Been after one of these for a very long time so I was jumping for joy when I saw it. 🤣 There was also a STAR dot matrix printer and one of those printer adapters but I decided not to bother grabbing it.

Sadly it was out in the rain all today and all of it's filthy and drenched (or it was filthy, I wiped it down already) so I can't test the drives or monitor to see if they work and the PSU for the 128 was not there so it might be a little bit before I can test that guy out. 🤣 Still what a find eh? 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu6m1.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu8ws.jpg
Not sure if these guys were flood victims or what but I just noticed the water line on that 1541 drive...

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu8wd.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu8vv.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1572 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
Saved a Commodore 128, 1571, 1541 and a 1702 monitor from the recycler today. :D […]
Show full quote

Been after one of these for a very long time so I was jumping for joy when I saw it. 🤣 There was also a STAR dot matrix printer and one of those printer adapters but I decided not to bother grabbing it.

Sadly it was out in the rain all today and all of it's filthy and drenched (or it was filthy, I wiped it down already) so I can't test the drives or monitor to see if they work and the PSU for the 128 was not there so it might be a little bit before I can test that guy out. 🤣 Still what a find eh? 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu6m1.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu8ws.jpg
Not sure if these guys were flood victims or what but I just noticed the water line on that 1541 drive...

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu8wd.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbtu8vv.jpg

schwing.jpg

I have a C64 that had a DOA PSU (9VAC was dead, but 5VDC was still good luckily).
I'm either:
A) Going to rebuild the PSU (new built ones cost more than a tank of gas)
B) Going to sell it
C) Option D
D) Either A or B

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1573 of 4586, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Saved a Commodore 128, 1571, 1541 and a 1702 monitor from the recycler today. :D […]
Show full quote

<snip>

Nice find! This calls for an epic cleaning session! Good luck and enjoy!

1982 to 2001

Reply 1574 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

That 1541 looks like it sat in some water from the marks on the side. The 128 looks nice cosmetically. Hopefully the insides are good. Reminds me when I found a 486 mini tower system at a recycle center and the bottom half of the tower had obviously been sitting in water from the rust and sludge, but the top half of the tower was pristine. Of course I salvaged everything from the water line up and all of the parts worked perfect. It should be a fun restoration regardless.

Reply 1575 of 4586, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So jealous, King_Corduroy. Chomping at the bit to get a Commodore 1701/1702 monitor.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1576 of 4586, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a big green metal bin outside of one of the recycling centers I sometimes stop by. It's basically for scrap metal and household electrical and electronic goods. It was filled up today and I dug around in it and found dozens of I/O shields, some even still in their packaging. I grabbed them by the handfuls, but there was still lots I couldn't safely get to. Way to much jagged metal to move around. They are so small, they kept on falling further to the bottom.

wkDhlIrl.jpg

Reply 1577 of 4586, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That Commodore 1702 is a fantastic monitor... I had one for years... primarily used it with our NES and SNES... I know, almost blasphemy.

Reply 1578 of 4586, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found two more computers, Deskpro 2000 and a Packard Bell Multimedia R515! This is my 15th Packard Bell. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbu4itk.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbubro8.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1579 of 4586, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RJDog wrote:

That Commodore 1702 is a fantastic monitor... I had one for years... primarily used it with our NES and SNES... I know, almost blasphemy.

Heh I think I last used mine for one of those Namco joystick things. I should probably check up on it, been a while. Mind you, acquired an A500 since, so should probably "belong" to that now.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.