VOGONS

First post, by AHmedia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, a few weeks ago I was given this entire computer store inventory for FREE! The store closed down several years ago, due to the owner's wife passing and the building is supposed to be torn down at some point. The store's heyday was apparently all throughout the 90's into the early to mid 2000's with some (but very few) new parts. Accordingly, the hardware reflects this. This place is a Gold mine for retro computers and every time I go in there I find new and interesting stuff.
I've already built two Windows 10 machines, one Windows 7, an XP and my current favorite, a nice 486 DX2 - and that's just the beginning. I've already pulled several boxes with any kind of cards you can imagine, harddrives, power supplies, CPUs and a massive amount of RAM sticks of every kind.

There's still a couple of working systems just sitting there. One of the pics shows an IBM System 2, which I fired up today (and it's fully functional). There's also a working, brand new Kaypro II system and of course the obvious variety of customer PCs that never were picked up.

All in all I'd say this is a WIN! Zero financial investment and a lifetime's supply of parts for retro builds.

Btw, I'm a new member here 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy guacamole rummoli with cannelloni bologne.

edit: I think you've got some "mid century modern" furniture pieces under there that have grown in popularity the last few years also.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 39, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to be the party pooper and mention that places\hauls like that make me feel depressed. Looking through someone's organized bins of parts or disorganized piles of projects half finished just makes me think about mortality and how all of MY carefully organized bins of stuff and little baggies of half-done projects may be part of some "estate sale haul" that someone will get to dig through some day.

I've gone through a few hauls like this myself, and its neat to see the stuff, but its very sad at the same time.

"This crazy old techy guy ran ethernet to the attic to use for an office, had a pile of CRTs packed away in the knee wall for a rainy day and had plastic drawers full of old parts. I picked a few things out of before the scrap recyclers wiped the place out." <-- Someone digging through my junk.

\downer

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/hNehVYrXALgn6/giphy.gif […]
Show full quote

giphy.gif

My sentiments exactly!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 39, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome...congrats, dude. If you need help absorbing some of the onslaught, PM me. I'll be happy to share in your burden.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 39, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just thought of something that'd be incredible.

A youtube channel where you use a go-pro as you dig through the heaps of stuff. We could all experience the anticipation of opening each box, hoping its a whole box of unreleased prototype 3dfx hardware or maybe a vintage sound card collection... 😁

Seriously though, that'd be cool. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 39, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is one of those situations where I would take a full day - actually get up early, eat, go over there, put on some music, and just sort and inventory everything.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 12 of 39, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:

This is one of those situations where I would take a full day - actually get up early, eat, go over there, put on some music, and just sort and inventory everything.

Maybe a full week is better. There sure seems to be a lot of stuff there. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 15 of 39, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's some good stuff in there for sure. That IBM is a really nice start.

The CH joystick is kind of neat. If the KeyTronic is a pre-PS/2 model, it could be pretty good.

Lots of cases, lots of boxes. 😀

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 16 of 39, by AHmedia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most of the boxes are empty. However, many times so far I'll dig through those empty boxes and suddenly find a brand new, still sealed graphics, sound card or even motherboard. Speaking of motherboards, most of the older AT boards had pretty bad battery leaks all over them. I was able to rescue a few, but it appears that others may be too far gone. I just can't bring myself to trash them though. In the near future, I'll take some pictures of the boards. Maybe someone can attempt to fix them.

In fact, I'll take pictures of the parts I've pulled so far. There's no way I'll ever be able to use everything myself. Even running a local computer service, there's just no way people are gonna buy all those CRT monitors for example 🤣. Maybe if some members here are interested, we could trade parts or I'll sell for very reasonable prices. Either way, after testing a lot of this equipment will be put up on ebay and a new website (which I'll be working on if I get the time 🤣)

I've built a couple of 100% period correct systems so far, but mostly, I'm still in the process of pulling stuff out of the shop. Seriously, every time I go down there, it's like a new episode of American Pickers. There's a lot of Computer history here and I want to make sure everything finds the right home.

...I've even thought about opening my own computer history museum.

Reply 17 of 39, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AHmedia wrote:
Most of the boxes are empty. However, many times so far I'll dig through those empty boxes and suddenly find a brand new, still […]
Show full quote

Most of the boxes are empty. However, many times so far I'll dig through those empty boxes and suddenly find a brand new, still sealed graphics, sound card or even motherboard. Speaking of motherboards, most of the older AT boards had pretty bad battery leaks all over them. I was able to rescue a few, but it appears that others may be too far gone. I just can't bring myself to trash them though. In the near future, I'll take some pictures of the boards. Maybe someone can attempt to fix them.

In fact, I'll take pictures of the parts I've pulled so far. There's no way I'll ever be able to use everything myself. Even running a local computer service, there's just no way people are gonna buy all those CRT monitors for example 🤣. Maybe if some members here are interested, we could trade parts or I'll sell for very reasonable prices. Either way, after testing a lot of this equipment will be put up on ebay and a new website (which I'll be working on if I get the time 🤣)

I've built a couple of 100% period correct systems so far, but mostly, I'm still in the process of pulling stuff out of the shop. Seriously, every time I go down there, it's like a new episode of American Pickers. There's a lot of Computer history here and I want to make sure everything finds the right home.

...I've even thought about opening my own computer history museum.

If you're planning on selling or trading parts or computers online, use either eBay or Amibay since buying, selling, and trading is against the VOGONS policy. BTW, welcome to VOGONS.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser