VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing to keep in mind is it is a really, really good idea to make images of original install media, especially for video and sound cards.

Original manuals are also good to scan.

I'm still looking for discs 3 & 4 for a Guillemot Max Studio ISIS sound card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 39, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me, I'm looking for an Intel i486 DX4-100 OverDrive CPU, a Sigma RealMagic MPEG Encoder/Decoder ISA card with the works, an AT computer case for my K6-2/300 system, a better Socket 7 motherboard, either 128KB (64k x 1 22-pin 15ns, 32k x 8 28-pin 15ns and 20ns) or 512KB (128K x 8 32-pin 20ns, 64k x 1 22-pin 15ns, and 32k x 8 28-pin 15ns) L2 cache for my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, a spare Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro, and 256K x 16 ZIP 70ns Video RAM chips.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22 of 39, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll keep an eye on AmiBay for some of this 😉

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 24 of 39, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,incredible. Really hope you have enough space at home...
Don't trash the old mainboards with battery leakage on them. Many people have successfully cleaned and repaired 'em

Reply 25 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mongaccio wrote:

Don't trash the old mainboards with battery leakage on them.

I do, I'm like "Look at you now you pathetic green furred glitch!" ... but then later I'm nice to them to get the stockholm syndrome thing going on.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26 of 39, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! That's a really lucky score. If I had that much stuff, I wouldn't even know where to put everything. 😲

I see some of the stuff you've got (those CRTs and the beige towers for example) were things that I would've killed for back when I needed them a couple years ago.

Glad to hear that whatever you won't be keeping will be sold somewhere. Old hardware getting scrapped depresses a lot of us in some ways.

Reply 27 of 39, by beepee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man, I used to work in a computer store around that era. Fixing (i.e. reinstalling) Win98 or Win95 on busted Pavilions, Packard Bells, etc...

I would kill for just 5 minutes in there - I've been trying fruitlessly to find an AT case for months - I have like four systems to build!

Reply 28 of 39, by AHmedia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as AT cases go, I may be able to help. I have about 4 in decent condition (aside from the typical yellowing). They also have working AT power supplies which I've tested - although I can't give any guarantees for longevity. As for RAM, I've just sorted them in boxes by type. I haven't separated them by speeds or exact types or sets just yet.
Sorry, no Intel DX4-100s or Overdrives, except a single AMD DX4-100 which I've tested and appears to be fine (I was looking for an Overdrive myself, but nothing). In fact, all CPUs I've pulled so far are all ok. I'll list them all soon.
I have quite a few Socket 7 Motherboards which need testing, but so far everything has checked out ok. Weirdly enough, I haven't found a single Slot 1 motherboard, but I do have a Slot A - only 1 though and I haven't tested it yet.

The suggestion about making copies of original disks and manuals is good. Most original Floppy disks I've tested so far are barely working. That's to be expected though. I have a few original boxed versions of various software titles (CDs and floppies) which is cool, mainly for the real documentation that comes with them.

As mentioned, I can put up a list of parts here soon. I will respect the fact that selling is not allowed on here, but my list could be of benefit to this community. Please let me know if it's not ok though - I respect that.

Edit: I may also be able to help with drivers and utility software for the community here if needed.

Reply 29 of 39, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome haul AHM! Would be quite something to see the store all sorted out and looking like it did in its heyday, but I guess the focus is on clearing out the space. Will watch your progress with interest 😀

cyclone3d wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is it is a really, really good idea to make images of original install media, especially for video and sound cards.

Did you need CD images from the ISIS XL or just a regular ISIS? I've got the following set of 6 discs, if any are relevant let me know and I'll try to get them imaged.

65wjsw.jpg

Reply 30 of 39, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beepee wrote:

Man, I used to work in a computer store around that era. Fixing (i.e. reinstalling) Win98 or Win95 on busted Pavilions, Packard Bells, etc...

I would kill for just 5 minutes in there - I've been trying fruitlessly to find an AT case for months - I have like four systems to build!

I had the same, except mid 90s - so many XTs were simply thrown out, as well as 286 and really low end 386s. Complete systems! Towards the end 15 year old me started popping the CPUs out of the wrecked systems to build quite an expansive collection that reigns to this day.

I thought working at a University's IT was lucky (as we do sometimes uncover ancient machines old profs abandon, but its supremely rare nowadays) but this is a nice find!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 31 of 39, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this brings back some memories! The somewhat incomplete AT case in the last picture, I had that in my first PC back in 1996*. Can you please post a close-up of it? Thanks.

*Actually my first was a Russian XT-clone, two years earlier 😀

Reply 33 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:
Awesome haul AHM! Would be quite something to see the store all sorted out and looking like it did in its heyday, but I guess th […]
Show full quote

Awesome haul AHM! Would be quite something to see the store all sorted out and looking like it did in its heyday, but I guess the focus is on clearing out the space. Will watch your progress with interest 😀

cyclone3d wrote:

Did you need CD images from the ISIS XL or just a regular ISIS? I've got the following set of 6 discs, if any are relevant let me know and I'll try to get them imaged.

65wjsw.jpg

Ohhh.. nice. That would be awesome if I could get an image of all of those.

I have the ISIS XL. The 2 discs I already have are from the regular ISIS though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34 of 39, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! Congrats! What a treasure trove you’ve got there. I’m looking forward to seeing future updates and more pictures!

I could definitely use a Baby AT tower case if you post any on eBay or Amibay. 😉 I lost my only three in a recycling mix-up recently and I’m still hurting from it. 😢

Reply 35 of 39, by AHmedia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, another day, another haul from the old shop:

Some of today's more interesting finds:

Media Vision ProAudio Studio 16:

2017-11-24 13-40-52 -0600.jpg
Filename
2017-11-24 13-40-52 -0600.jpg
File size
779.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

With manual

2017-11-24 13-41-09 -0600.jpg
Filename
2017-11-24 13-41-09 -0600.jpg
File size
523.38 KiB
Views
File license

The usual assortment of motherboards:

2017-11-24 13-15-56 -0600.jpg
Filename
2017-11-24 13-15-56 -0600.jpg
File size
749.71 KiB
Views
File license
2017-11-24 13-16-21 -0600.jpg
Filename
2017-11-24 13-16-21 -0600.jpg
File size
892.18 KiB
Views
File license
2017-11-24 13-16-51 -0600.jpg
Filename
2017-11-24 13-16-51 -0600.jpg
File size
895.18 KiB
Views
File license

More finds of the day to follow shortly

This place is the gift that keeps on giving 😁

Reply 36 of 39, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That manual looks like someone was having a Big Mac meal. You don't see that anymore.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 37 of 39, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Find any more goodies in there that we'd be thrilled to see?

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 38 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent haul! 😁
Good luck getting things sorted hehe, have fun! 😁

dr_st wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

This is one of those situations where I would take a full day - actually get up early, eat, go over there, put on some music, and just sort and inventory everything.

Maybe a full week is better. There sure seems to be a lot of stuff there. 😀

Definitely a full week 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 39, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reminds me of Weird Als song Hardware Store when he breathes in before naming all the things they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKGswG0QtWg

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"