Topic actions

Reply 20480 of 52735, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

Also, if you look in System Specs, my 386 build has an Adaptec sound card in it which has the same controller on it as these Cardinal cards - and it's a full SCSI controller, rather than just being limited to CD-ROMs.

What drivers are you using for your Adaptec card? The only thing I could find was a DOS install utility on Adaptec's site.

No drivers for the SCSI card, but you could try Adaptec EZ-SCSI, which came bundled with the card. There are Cardinal drivers on driversguide.com, but I haven't tested them yet.

Did you get those ISIS CDs BTW?

Reply 20481 of 52735, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received Asus TX97-X rev. 3.0
I'll think of replacing my Gigabyte GA586-ATX with it.

Asus_TX97-X.jpg
Filename
Asus_TX97-X.jpg
File size
313.5 KiB
Views
File comment
Asus Socket 7 TX97-X
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 20482 of 52735, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An IBM PS/2 Model 55SX suddenly appeared.

Attachments

• IMG_8520.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8520.JPG
    File size
    132.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8519.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8519.JPG
    File size
    235.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 20483 of 52735, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember learning to type in Middle School with a classroom full of those running WordPerfect 5.0. Everyone simultaneously opening their documents was enough to saturate the Token Ring LAN in that area of the building so it would take like 2 minutes for a simple text document to open.

Good times! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

blurks wrote:

Reply 20484 of 52735, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
And finally (in more ways than one): […]
Show full quote

And finally (in more ways than one):

IMG_9078.jpg
IMG_9079.jpg

This is the limited edition of Broken Thunder. Broken Thunder is a doujin game from Japan that's based off the popular 1980s/1990s Tec(h)nosoft shoot 'em up series Thunder Force and that was the center of a clusterfuck of epic proportions because one of the makers thought he had the rights to the whole franchise while he had not. On top of that the game was partially unfinished and bug-ridden, and a patch to fix the issues was promised but never materialized. This resulted in his band breaking up, his work not being featured in subsequent Tec(h)nosoft games, and the game being pulled from retail shelves in Japan. 😵
The difference between the limited edition and the regular edition is the front cover and that the limited version includes an audio CD.

But apparently the recall wasn't executed very well because it pops up for sale now and then anyway... 😎 The trick is to get it for a decent price, so when it showed up for 100 yen buy it now I didn't know how fast I had to be to snatch it up. Only took me a few years to find it at such a price. 🤣

100 yen so roughly 90 cents USD?

That IS a good price.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 20485 of 52735, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

Also, if you look in System Specs, my 386 build has an Adaptec sound card in it which has the same controller on it as these Cardinal cards - and it's a full SCSI controller, rather than just being limited to CD-ROMs.

What drivers are you using for your Adaptec card? The only thing I could find was a DOS install utility on Adaptec's site.

No drivers for the SCSI card, but you could try Adaptec EZ-SCSI, which came bundled with the card. There are Cardinal drivers on driversguide.com, but I haven't tested them yet.

Did you get those ISIS CDs BTW?

Ok, yeah, the EZ-SCSI download is what I saw on Adaptec's site. I also have all the different driver packages from driverguide. One of them actually looks like a complete 2 disk package. I'll test when the card arrives.

I didn't get the ISIS CDs yet. Waiting for them to be imaged and uploaded somewhere.

Edit: got the download links. Ended up in a different folder in my email so I didn't see them. Going to download as soon as I get home. 😀

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-12-01, 22:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20486 of 52735, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bought a pair of vintage Keytronic keyboards for $35 shipped. One is a standard 101-key type (possibly AT\XT switchable), the other looks like a Model F (PC\XT) clone with an identical layout (except it has LEDs in the lock keys).

Bought these on a whim, for sure, but I know what these things tend to go for. I'll try them out and clean them up. Maybe the XT type will be more suitable for my 5150 until I get the original IBM keyboard working. 😀

Also picked up a lot of 4 video cards elsewhere online for $16 shipped. Contained a GT220, GT610, Radeon HD 5450, one misc AGP card and a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. 😀

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2017-12-01, 22:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20487 of 52735, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Ok, yeah, the EZ-SCSI download is what I saw on Adaptec's site. I also have all the different driver packages from driverguide. One of them actually looks like a complete 2 disk package. I'll test when the card arrives.

I didn't get the ISIS CDs yet. Waiting for them to be imaged and uploaded somewhere.

I actually have some Adaptec SCSI disks I got a while back in a lot of stuff. I should probably get them out and see if they contain anything that might be useful or not otherwise available online.

Reply 20488 of 52735, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Never saw a Trio64+Scenic combo card before, and never saw a Trio64 upgradable to 4MB before, so yeah, got this. This will go into my P133 build.

As far I remember - Trio64 only support max 2mb ram. So as for me - empty sockets is only for Scenic framebuffer.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 20489 of 52735, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
viewmaster.jpg
Filename
viewmaster.jpg
File size
164.9 KiB
Views
File license

Lucked out at a thrift shop. Not exactly "PC" hardware, but early VR stuff. 😉

The brown one is REALLY old, probably late '50s. They made these for a long time! Some of the reels date to that era so it's pretty interesting to flip through them. Among them are a hand-drawn / cel-shaded Popeye comic (so weird to see oldschool comic art in full 3D!) and a claymation Daffy Duck one.

I actually already had the blue one but didn't have any reels so this was a nice find.

Also grabbed some unused floppy disk mailers, because why not.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20490 of 52735, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Literally stumbled across...

blurks wrote:

I feel like I am playing Dragon Quest.

... nice hauls, guys.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 20491 of 52735, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I REALLY like the IBM PS/2 line of computers. It's a damn shame MCA wasn't more popular and subsequently cheaper to acquire cards for.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 20495 of 52735, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:
Lucked out at a thrift shop. Not exactly "PC" hardware, but early VR stuff. ;) […]
Show full quote
viewmaster.jpg

Lucked out at a thrift shop. Not exactly "PC" hardware, but early VR stuff. 😉

The brown one is REALLY old, probably late '50s. They made these for a long time! Some of the reels date to that era so it's pretty interesting to flip through them. Among them are a hand-drawn / cel-shaded Popeye comic (so weird to see oldschool comic art in full 3D!) and a claymation Daffy Duck one.

I actually already had the blue one but didn't have any reels so this was a nice find.

Also grabbed some unused floppy disk mailers, because why not.

View-masters are cool, isn't there a decent market for those? My parents have a really old one, and I remember looking through them as a kid being slightly scared but mostly intrigued by the clay cartoons. I think there was a disc with dinosaurs as well.

Calling them "full 3D" (or "VR" for that matter, hehe) is a bit much though; they are just stereoscopic still images after all. 😉

Reply 20496 of 52735, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Just bought a pair of vintage Keytronic keyboards for $35 shipped. One is a standard 101-key type (possibly AT\XT switchable), the other looks like a Model F (PC\XT) clone with an identical layout (except it has LEDs in the lock keys).

Bought these on a whim, for sure, but I know what these things tend to go for. I'll try them out and clean them up. Maybe the XT type will be more suitable for my 5150 until I get the original IBM keyboard working. 😀

Also picked up a lot of 4 video cards elsewhere online for $16 shipped. Contained a GT220, GT610, Radeon HD 5450, one misc AGP card and a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. 😀

Here's a few pictures of the keyboards. Not bad for $35 shipped.

Attachments

• s-l16004.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16004.jpg
    File size
    162.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l16003.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16003.jpg
    File size
    195.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l16002.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16002.jpg
    File size
    176.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    248.53 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 20497 of 52735, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chose007 wrote:

NTB with integrated printer by Canon

Awesome, looks to be in great condition, hope you also got the charger for it. I have two of these, one of which has had a battery leak, so do check inside if you can. The Note Jet was an interesting product back in the day, my father used one for work, he seemed to enjoy it more than other laptops as it was quite handy when he was on the road. Some years later I had to carry around a portable printer and laptop for work, and began to realise how much less hassle it would have been to have an integrated printer.

Also, top score on that Mars card!

Reply 20498 of 52735, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ordered a Yamaha ATC-6631 (YMF715B-S chipset) ISA sound card last night.
yamaha-isa-sound-card-atc-6631-2.27__35554.1489960038.jpg?c=2

This is going in my P233MMX build so it can have genuine OPL3 sound without the annoyances of the SB16s of the pre-1995 era. I've noticed it has a Wavetable header which - in the future - will be used for a Dreamblaster S2 daughterboard. I'm wondering if I should use this in tandem with the CT4170 for a dual sound card setup or if this alone will be enough to cover my needs.

Reply 20499 of 52735, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC. Looks like it can do 2D without any issues. 3D has some texture corruption (and it causes the system to BEEP). Anyone have suggestions on a fix? I might try and bake it.

Gn3jQIfl.jpg