VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

American McGee's Alice

Import the attached registry file in the ZIP, then browse to your game's folder, open Properties of alice.exe, tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and confirm with OK. Afterwards, return to alice.exe's Compatibility tab and clear that checkbox. This is done to refresh compatibility settings from registry.

Attachments

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-10-17, 14:46. Edited 2 times in total.
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2 of 9, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The attached archive contains the necessary registry and updated files needed to run various games in the Blaster series on modern Windows. This is because the original installers are 16-bit and won't run on modern Windows. This way lets you bypass the installers entirely.
The readme files will tell you which files are needed from the game CDs. The CDs will only be needed for the game files; you'll be able to play the games without them afterwards.

Unless otherwise stated, these games all use Davidson's Atlas Game Engine.

Done

Math Blaster Episode 2
Math Blaster Mystery: The Great Brain Robbery
Math Blaster Jr.
Mega Math Blaster
Reading Blaster: Invasion of the Word Snatchers
Reading Blaster Jr.
Reading Blaster 2000
Reading Blaster Vocabulary (Intro videos won't play, since they rely on 16-bit QuickTime 2.1.)
Science Blaster Jr.

Planned

Math Blaster Algebra (non-Atlas, but is a Win32 game)
Word Blaster (non-Atlas, but does have a Win32 executable)

Games with official Vista releases

Math Blaster Ages 9-12
Math Blaster Pre-Algebra
Reading Blaster Ages 9-12
Spelling Blaster
Math for the Real World (not really part of the Blaster series, but it does use Atlas)

Can't do; 16-bit only (all non-Atlas)

Math Blaster Episode 1 (a DOS version does exist, but I haven't come across it)
Alge-Blaster 3
Geometry Blaster

UPDATE: Added registry files for Math Blaster Episode 2 and Reading Blaster Vocabulary.

Attachments

• Filename
    blaster_updates.zip
    File size
    862.34 KiB
    Downloads
    152 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if right spot, but applies to multiple games for me on Windows XP 32bit; if 3GB ini is set, then AMD CCC drivers will not work with DX9 games, at least with HD 3870; you will get an error in Ungine heaven about DX9 missing, STALKER SoC will freeze on launch, UT3 will give error etc. Resetting the Windows ini to default fixes the issue.

Reply 4 of 9, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just made a compatibility fix for Carmen Sandiego Junior Detective. It fixes MIDI detection and garbled text. I've played through the first case and found no problems save for graphical issues (which strangely didn't happen when using DxWnd, which is odd as the game doesn't even use DirectX).

Attachments

• Filename
    carmen_junior_fix.zip
    File size
    958 Bytes
    Downloads
    107 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CDrayan wrote on 2022-10-12, 00:43:

I've just made a compatibility fix for Carmen Sandiego Junior Detective. It fixes MIDI detection and garbled text. I've played through the first case and found no problems save for graphical issues (which strangely didn't happen when using DxWnd, which is odd as the game doesn't even use DirectX).

DxWnd has hook setting for DirectX, OpenGL, GDI, logging for WinG. So maybe it was fixed somewhere. The EmulateDrawText description says "The solution is to toggle the high order bit for out of range coordinates.", which looks like one of the thing DxWnd fixes.

The MIDI detection, if it exists with DxWnd can probably fixed with "Sound/Fix default MCI ID". Can you check?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 9, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I disabled hooking, and the graphical issues returned. The game does use GDI, and "Fix default MCI ID" does fix MIDI detection. However, DxWnd doesn't fix the garbled text, hence the need for the .sdb file.
The game requires 256 color mode. Windows' compatibility database automatically sets this color mode, but imperfectly.

Reply 7 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CDrayan wrote on 2022-10-12, 16:03:

I disabled hooking, and the graphical issues returned. The game does use GDI, and "Fix default MCI ID" does fix MIDI detection. However, DxWnd doesn't fix the garbled text, hence the need for the .sdb file.
The game requires 256 color mode. Windows' compatibility database automatically sets this color mode, but imperfectly.

What did you mean by "which strangely didn't happen when using DxWnd, which is odd as the game doesn't even use DirectX)."?

Reply 8 of 9, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-10-12, 16:05:

What did you mean by "which strangely didn't happen when using DxWnd, which is odd as the game doesn't even use DirectX)."?

My guess is that DxWnd hooked and fixed something I couldn't figure out. I think it's related to the fact that Windows 11 can't actually change color depths; it's permanently locked in 32-bit colors. Math Detective (which uses Macromedia Director 6.0) also specifically requires 256 colors, leading to similar issues.

Carmen Sandiego Word Detective does use DirectX, and has an issue where fading in and out doesn't work, resulting in graphical glitches. When using DDrawCompat, this fading works right, but the intro video doesn't.

Reply 9 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CDrayan wrote on 2022-10-13, 05:30:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-10-12, 16:05:

Math Detective (which uses Macromedia Director 6.0) also specifically requires 256 colors, leading to similar issues.

Carmen Sandiego Word Detective does use DirectX, and has an issue where fading in and out doesn't work, resulting in graphical glitches. When using DDrawCompat, this fading works right, but the intro video doesn't.

There is colour setting in Video tab that can be set to 8bpp. It should fake/make the game enable 256 colors

For the second problem, probably you should write in their SourceForge Discussion forum tomorrow.