VOGONS

First post, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello Vogons,

I decided to build myself a retro PC to remind myself of the good old days once in a while.

Got a FIC PA-2012 Socket 7 motherboard, a Pentium MMX 233, SoundBlaster CT4760 (Live! Value) and a GeForce 2 MX (AGP) off eBay, put it all together and installed Windows 98SE.

DOS performance is great, but anything Direct3D related on Windows 98 is just a slideshow. Even Turok 2 runs at ~5fps and I remember playing that game on an AMD K5 90MHz and a Riva TNT2 back in the days, so it should probably run better, right?

I already tried:

- installing the VIA 4in1 drivers from philscomputerlab. Neither 435 nor 443 make any difference, even after manually installing the AGP bridge driver
- changing the AGP aperture size in BIOS and switching from AGP2x to AGP1x
- downgrading DirectX to 7.0a with Directx Buster
- older Detonator drivers for the GeForce (45.23 and 05.32)

Some games like I-War 2 (a DirectX 7 game) won't even run beyond the menu screen and a fairly simple Shadowman from Acclaim runs very slow, too.
I have 512MB RAM installed and downgraded that to one stick with 256MB, because I read of the uncached RAM problem here, but that still didn't make any difference.

I also installed Windows XP and the VIA 4in1 drivers (443) - the 3D performance is just as bad as on Windows 98.

Does anyone here have experience with the VP3 chipset? I'm out of ideas and I'd love to play a bit more than Commander Keen on this machine. 😎

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1 of 3, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Turok 2, I-War 2 and Shadowman have rather steep hardware requirements (there is NO WAY turok 2 ran playable on a 90Mhz K5). All have Pentium 2 class CPUs as minimum requirements and the geforce 2 is near the minimum in the case of I-war2 and Shadowman.

None of these games will run well on a pentium 233MMX.

Reply 2 of 3, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try using a Voodoo3. I've read on this forum that the Voodoo3 doesn't use any of the advanced AGP functions and that socket 7 motherboards have issues with AGP features. Back in the day, I ran into all sorts of problems with AGP cards and socket 7's. I was also using an FIC motherboard.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 3, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your answers.

I've switched to an Apollo Pro board now and all of my problems magically went away.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"