VOGONS

First post, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,recently i buyed a EDIROL UM-1 Midi-Usb Interface,when i connect the midi cables and install the driver (all seems to be fine) and i reboot the pc,i select the midi driver and i run scummvm.

I Select MI1 With Windows MIDI and Enable True MT-32.

When i Run The Game,The mt-32 shows scummvm version and the green light under "midi message" turns on. Even the sysex is correct.

Here the problem. I dont get any sound.

ONLY the sound is not functional,all sysex and midi works perfecty,but sound OUTPUT=0.

Don't Worry, MT-32 Volume is set fine.

I run on a Pentium 4 2800 Mhz
224 MB RAM
C- Media Wave Device (chip in motherboard)
Windows XP SP2.

Someone can Help Me?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First, I should mention that I have a similar setup: Voyetra USB-to-MIDI adapter connected to MT-32, which in turn is connected to an SC-88. Audio output from the MT-32 flows into the SC-88, which in turn goes to the line-in of my sound card (which is unmuted so that it passes through to my computer speakers). Everything works fine, although I of course have to mute whichever of the two devices that I don't want to hear.

I'm going to assume based on what you said that everything from the computer to the MT-32 is connected properly, including software.

Some questions:
- To what is the MT-32's sound output connected? Is the device it's connected to unmuted and set to a reasonable volume level? Does that device work if you feed it the output of some other audio device? I'm sure you probably know, but you have to connect the audio outputs on the back of the MT-32 to to an amplifier or headphones or the line-in of your sound card in order to hear it.
- Can you hear sound from the MT-32 if you test it with DXDIAG (in Windows, try start->run->dxdiag and then go to the music tab; then, select the USB MIDI output under "Test using this port" and hit the "Test DirectMusic" button). Note that it will sound like crap because it's a General MIDI song.
- What does the volume reading on the LCD status panel show?

Note that you should also cycle the power on the MT-32 before playing a game to clear out any unwanted SysEx settings.

Reply 2 of 8, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
First, I should mention that I have a similar setup: Voyetra USB-to-MIDI adapter connected to MT-32, which in turn is connected […]
Show full quote

First, I should mention that I have a similar setup: Voyetra USB-to-MIDI adapter connected to MT-32, which in turn is connected to an SC-88. Audio output from the MT-32 flows into the SC-88, which in turn goes to the line-in of my sound card (which is unmuted so that it passes through to my computer speakers). Everything works fine, although I of course have to mute whichever of the two devices that I don't want to hear.

I'm going to assume based on what you said that everything from the computer to the MT-32 is connected properly, including software.

Some questions:
- To what is the MT-32's sound output connected?to anything,because i dont have a clue on where to connect the cable,it can't enter anywhere Is the device it's connected to unmuted and set to a reasonable volume level?dont worry,all ok. Does that device work if you feed it the output of some other audio device?i dont know where to connect the audio cable I'm sure you probably know, but you have to connect the audio outputs on the back of the MT-32 to to an amplifier or headphones or the line-in of your sound card in order to hear it.here,i'm sure that's the problem.But the TRUE problem is that i don't have a headphone or an amplfier compatible,so i need to put the line in,but then?how i can order to windows to listen tht line-in?
- Can you hear sound from the MT-32 if you test it with DXDIAG (in Windows, try start->run->dxdiag and then go to the music tab; then, select the USB MIDI output under "Test using this port" and hit the "Test DirectMusic" button). Note that it will sound like crap because it's a General MIDI song.no because i've the same problem,and don't worry,i'll test all when i fix the problem 😉
- What does the volume reading on the LCD status panel show?the master volume shows 100

Note that you should also cycle the power on the MT-32 before playing a game to clear out any unwanted SysEx settings.ya meen?

[/b]

Reply 3 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By cycling the power, he means turn it on and off. A better option is to press "rhythm" while holding down "master volume". Then press "1". This resets the unit to default settings.

The MT-32 doesn't have an internal speaker, so what you need to do is get some convertors that enable you to take it's two mono jack outputs and connect them into a stereo mini-jack. Connect that to the line-in on your other sound card and set the appropriate volume on that line-in using the Windows volume control.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, that would be "microphone in", obviously. The line in jack is usually a pale blue. The symbol that goes with it is the following:

Attachments

• line-in.gif
    Filename
    line-in.gif
    File size
    2.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are sold in stores. If necessary, print out the picture below and show it to them. You can also find them only. Check out item number 35-476 on this page.

Attachments

• xsp-phon-mini-2.jpg
    Filename
    xsp-phon-mini-2.jpg
    File size
    3.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception