VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20880 of 52886, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got some new-in-box stuff too. 😀 This came from a few different places over the last couple days:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
278.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The AOpen board is some S775 thing and the Celeron-D isn't "new" but was in the box with it. I'm probably going to put the two together and sell it to someone who just needs a basic machine or fileserver or something. I don't think this CPU is anything spectacular.

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
151.98 KiB
Views
File license
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
185.21 KiB
Views
File license

The GF2 is pretty neat. I didn't really need it (already have a Quadro 2 and a few MX-series GF2), but it came with 3D shutter glasses so you guys know I'm gonna be all over that. I've been wanting to mess around with Nvidia's 3D system for a while. I actually have a specific purpose for these in mind. 😉 It also does video capture which could be handy.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
236.9 KiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
190.5 KiB
Views
File license

^^ So minty...

(I'm not really into collecting pristine boxed video cards, this one's absolutely going to get installed & used. But it was pretty cool to open a brand-new, 18-year-old piece of hardware. Don't worry, I will keep the box & everything intact in case a boxed-card-collector wants to get it from me when I'm done with it. 😉)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20881 of 52886, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never ending schrott story.

some cpus
dscf65cmc.jpg

Aopen with 500 MHz
dscf6538re.jpg

Asrock ULi chipset + Opteron 144 s939
dscf6540re.jpg

classic OC board s939
dscf6566re.jpg

add cpu card by Asus
dscf6558re.jpg

all in one VLB with Cirrus
dscf6559re.jpg

SCSI DVD-RAM drives, need find some mediums to them
dscf6565re.jpg

I must bought this because cant believe that isnt joke 😁
dscf6560re.jpg

dscf6561re.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 20882 of 52886, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chose007 wrote:
add cpu card by Asus http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dscf6558re.jpg […]
Show full quote

add cpu card by Asus
dscf6558re.jpg

y53afKK.gif

Check your inbox, I'm gonna light it up.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 20883 of 52886, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just for you guys, here's an unboxing & assembly video of the ~**brand new**~ floppy box from 1999 (filmed on a potato from 2007) :

If you watched this you have too much time on your hands.

(It's probably not gonna stay online for very long.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20884 of 52886, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^ Dropbox as video hosting?...
This link starting to show a big "register how" screen to me at first.
And you post link, that you plan to delete in nearest future... why?

Last edited by easy_john on 2017-12-20, 21:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 20886 of 52886, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

You have very nice hands. Also nice Apple IIe! Looks pretty early from the side.

L0L thanks. It's actually the II+ I posted about earlier. Currently awating replacement system ROMs but I should have it working soon.

easy_john wrote:

^ Dropbox as video hosting?...
This link starting to show a big "register how" screen to me at first.
And you post link, that you plan to delete in nearest future... why?

Just close the "register now" screen (click the X) and it lets you see the vid. I'm certainly not going to waste any time putting this on Youtube. 😜

I'm going to delete it in a few weeks because it's on my dropbox & I'm out of space, and I'm pretty sure it's of no value to anyone.

Reply 20887 of 52886, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote:
Maybe the auto-bid did its thing... will be interesting if the buyer pays though. I once bid on a board and the other party's of […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:
feipoa wrote:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-vintage-collecti … p-/222749027990?
Someone just bought a Cyrix 5x86-133/4x for 1244 euro. It was not me. This translates to 1468 USD, 1098 GBP, or 1888 CAD. Anyone we know?

Yep, I bought the lot.

Maybe the auto-bid did its thing... will be interesting if the buyer pays though. I once bid on a board and the other party's offer was pretty steep, too steep for me at least. Turned out that the other party later flat-out evaded payment.

The Philips CRT is most likely a gem - would love to have a couple of these.

Bought 2 BGCs... but none wants to really work at 180.

I'm pretty sure the Cyrix auction has been paid. Artex bought it. With these Cyrix 4x chips going for 1g, I wonder if counterfeits will hit the market. There are a number of ST and Cyrix branded chips with 4x settings, but do not work at 133 MHz. These would be good candidates for counterfeiters.

I also bought a few of those AMD BGC chips in hope that one would work stable at 180 MHz, but no. I almost got one running stable at 3.8 V, but it wouldn't boot Windows. It did run some DOS benchmarks, but I was after a stable system. It is interesting that all the chips run at 160 MHz, as if they were designed around that frequency, but not at 180 MHz.

Last edited by feipoa on 2017-12-20, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 20888 of 52886, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Cyrix auction has been paid. Artex bought it..

Correct - paid and the box(es) are on their way to me. Hopefully a nice present in time for Christmas.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 20889 of 52886, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Cool, that was a high-baller auction but great to see it go to a member here! Share lots of pics & enjoy 😀

Reply 20890 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Correct - paid and the box(es) are on their way to me. Hopefully a nice present in time for Christmas.

Some of you people have way too much money on your hands.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 20891 of 52886, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the frequency "cutoff" is brutal... optimal frequency and after that chances of running successfully just evaporate.
Would be interesting if the BHCs are better here. Sucks that it's such a gamble.

Well I hope the buyer pays and yes... some asswipe will most likely start manufacturing counterfeits.

Reply 20892 of 52886, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

^^ Cool, that was a high-baller auction but great to see it go to a member here! Share lots of pics & enjoy 😀

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It's funny how point of view on the same thing may differ 🤣

same as xjas I'm glad that a vogons member got it... grats!

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 20893 of 52886, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought an ET4000-ISA card. I will post pictures, when I recieve the card.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 20894 of 52886, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chose007 wrote:
Never ending schrott story. […]
Show full quote

Never ending schrott story.

some cpus
dscf65cmc.jpg

Did anyone else notice the Intel DX2 with write-back cache? Those weren't all that common. They came with either a black cap or gold cap. I have the gold cap version. chose007, what is on the back of yours? Did you buy this lot hoping to get that CPU?

Reply 20895 of 52886, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Don't be alarmed if it is accompanied by a fat bill for import duties. According to google, the tax-free import limit for the USA is $800. Anyone care to guess what it is for Canada? With today's exchange rate, it is $15.59 USD. So if you buy a stick of RAM which cost you $16 USD, expect to pay another $12 USD when it is delivered. Add $15 for shipping (because free shipping seems to be a USA-only thing), and you're $16 stick of RAM has cost you $43 USD.

Reply 20896 of 52886, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Batyra wrote:
It's funny how point of view on the same thing may differ LOL […]
Show full quote
xjas wrote:

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It's funny how point of view on the same thing may differ 🤣

same as xjas I'm glad that a vogons member got it... grats!

The points of views are not so different, boths thinks that the price is high, but what about the value?
As described under my username I'm a newbie, especially in these hardware.
For the other hand, I'm here to learn.

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 20897 of 52886, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be honest I'm quite happy there are some high-profile collectors around who share their finds here. That way I can see all the cool stuff without having to get into it myself. 😀

Reply 20898 of 52886, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This lot showed up at my door a day or two ago. May I add that I found all the auctions for it thanks to the now gone ebay thread or is it too soon? Anyway I already tested most of the interesting stuff. Sadly only the Asus P2L97 works, the P3B-F doesn’t even light its green LED when I supply power to it. By the looks its perfect so.. Also tested the 3 Voodoo 3 who looked like the could work, even though they are missing a lot of their caps, which I only realized later (see “detail” photo). Not really sure what to do with the 4th Voodoo as it is in the shape it is in. I kinda doubt it would work, even if I would solder another VGA connector. Also all TNT2 work but since I don't care about them in the slightest, I will probably try to sell all but one. A special place in my heart has the Orchid Voodoo 1 (thats the one with the mechanical relays and their soo satisfying click when the switch from 2D to 3D mode), I already have one of those but can't hurt to have a backup. Lots of stuff to play with, in one way or another 😀

Attachments

• 20171220_233446.jpg
    Filename
    20171220_233446.jpg
    File size
    3.88 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20171220_233757.jpg
    Filename
    20171220_233757.jpg