VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20900 of 37167, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

This lot showed up at my door a day or two ago. May I add that I found all the auctions for it thanks to the now gone ebay thread or is it too soon? Anyway I already tested most of the interesting stuff. Sadly only the Asus P2L97 works, the P3B-F doesn’t even light its green LED when I supply power to it. By the looks its perfect so.. Also tested the 3 Voodoo 3 who looked like the could work, even though they are missing a lot of their caps, which I only realized later (see “detail” photo). Not really sure what to do with the 4th Voodoo as it is in the shape it is in. I kinda doubt it would work, even if I would solder another VGA connector. Also all TNT2 work but since I don't care about them in the slightest, I will probably try to sell all but one. A special place in my heart has the Orchid Voodoo 1 (thats the one with the mechanical relays and their soo satisfying click when the switch from 2D to 3D mode), I already have one of those but can't hurt to have a backup. Lots of stuff to play with, in one way or another 😀

Attachments

  • 20171220_233446.jpg
    Filename
    20171220_233446.jpg
    File size
    3.88 MiB
    Views
    710 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20171220_233757.jpg
    Filename
    20171220_233757.jpg
    File size
    4.17 MiB
    Views
    710 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20171218_113640.jpg
    Filename
    20171218_113640.jpg
    File size
    4.66 MiB
    Views
    710 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 20902 of 37167, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

This lot showed up at my door a day or two ago. May I add that I found all the auctions for it thanks to the now gone ebay thread or is it too soon? Anyway I already tested most of the interesting stuff. Sadly only the Asus P2L97 works, the P3B-F doesn’t even light its green LED when I supply power to it. By the looks its perfect so.. Also tested the 3 Voodoo 3 who looked like the could work, even though they are missing a lot of their caps, which I only realized later (see “detail” photo). Not really sure what to do with the 4th Voodoo as it is in the shape it is in. I kinda doubt it would work, even if I would solder another VGA connector. Also all TNT2 work but since I don't care about them in the slightest, I will probably try to sell all but one. A special place in my heart has the Orchid Voodoo 1 (thats the one with the mechanical relays and their soo satisfying click when the switch from 2D to 3D mode), I already have one of those but can't hurt to have a backup. Lots of stuff to play with, in one way or another 😀

If you buy an untested lot that is near 100 percent failures you've been scammed. They tested them bad, there just not telling you that. Any that work are probably flukes or they didn't test them properly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6ZVlYOXA12tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF2 Ultra 64MB|CT4620
#Bernie2020 #FeelTheBern

Reply 20903 of 37167, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I forgot to post my last purchase.
Today I received this serial mouse. I hope that my 486 feel happy with it. 🤣

Logitech_serial_mouse.jpg
Filename
Logitech_serial_mouse.jpg
File size
23.64 KiB
Views
702 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My computers

1vgz8s-6.png

Reply 20904 of 37167, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always liked Elsa's unique designs.

FX 5900 Vanilla boxed.

MoeUZWJl.jpg

Asus A7S333, when turn power on, green light will come on. But power on and nothing (no fan, no video). Using AXP 1900+ Palomino, 1x Corsair PC3200 512MB, and Enermax 430W (good for A7N8X/AXP3200). Any ideas if so, PM me.

WNt3So4.jpg

Last edited by dexvx on 2017-12-20, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 20905 of 37167, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Put a fan on there since those things get hot (happened to me with the V3 2000 PCI card, and I took extreme caution with the V3 3000 PCI card by screwing a fan on there) and can get artifacts.

Yeah cards in those days died real quickly because manufacturers don't use fans that often yet. My TNT2 lasted three months before it died from overheating and the Voodoo 3 3000 I got after that lasted only two years.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 20906 of 37167, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
xjas wrote:

To be honest I'm quite happy there are some high-profile collectors around who share their finds here. That way I can see all the cool stuff without having to get into it myself. 😀

Me too
But I'm user not collector.

My computers

1vgz8s-6.png

Reply 20907 of 37167, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anaxagoras wrote:

I forgot to post my last purchase.
Today I received this serial mouse. I hope that my 486 feel happy with it. 🤣

Logitech_serial_mouse.jpg

Is that a logitech serial mouse with scroll wheel? I haven't run across any of these. Nice score.

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 20908 of 37167, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Finally found a fully working s.423 board. It's a pretty mediocre DFI WT70-EC w. a Fujitsu Siemens BIOS. Runs perfectly with a Willamette 1.5GHz P4 and a total of 640MB of PC800 RDRAM.
When I first turned it on, the keyboard port seemed dead, thankfully it was only the keyboard power-on jumper that was missing.

By the way, what kind of cooler mount does 423 use, same as 462?

In a closet at work I've found 2 old NEC powermates, pulled a 1333MHz Tualeron w.cooler, 512MB of PC133 and a strange flat 20GB Seagate drive out of one, the second one got me a nice Athlon XP 2600+ Barton in mint condition, 512MB stick of DDR400 and a 250GB IDE drive, which has the 'click of death'.

Last but not least I've bought an Amiga 500 in original box.

Last edited by martin939 on 2017-12-20, 23:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 20909 of 37167, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
feipoa wrote:

Did anyone else notice the Intel DX2 with write-back cache? Those weren't all that common. They came with either a black cap or gold cap. I have the gold cap version. chose007, what is on the back of yours? Did you buy this lot hoping to get that CPU?

Yes it was with black heatsink, I just clean it to watch what is it. Random hit, finally dont know where got this cpu (not with X2s lot).

dscf6569re.jpg

dscf6572re.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 20910 of 37167, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anaxagoras wrote:
xjas wrote:

To be honest I'm quite happy there are some high-profile collectors around who share their finds here. That way I can see all the cool stuff without having to get into it myself. 😀

Me too
But I'm user not collector.

That's how it starts out.

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 20911 of 37167, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

To be honest I'm quite happy there are some high-profile collectors around who share their finds here. That way I can see all the cool stuff without having to get into it myself. 😀

agreed. While getting a voodoo 3 is nice, after seeing 10 a week, the novelty wears off. Seeing items that only pop up once every few years really gets my juices flowing. I'm no collector, but I ended up being one after a while.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 20912 of 37167, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wasn't much of a collector in the beginning either, but I had to acquire CPUs for the 486/686 benchmark comparisons which could not be duplicated by running other CPUs at these faster frequencies. Like there is no way to run a Cyrix 5x86-100/3x at 5x86-133/4x speeds with the same FSB, or trying to run an AMD K5-PR166 and PR200 speeds - it just doesn't work. I suspect this is why the Cyrix 5x86-133/4x and K5-PR200 are so valuable. Makes me wonder what the PR200 would fetch...

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 20913 of 37167, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
xjas wrote:

To be honest I'm quite happy there are some high-profile collectors around who share their finds here. That way I can see all the cool stuff without having to get into it myself. 😀

agreed. While getting a voodoo 3 is nice, after seeing 10 a week, the novelty wears off. Seeing items that only pop up once every few years really gets my juices flowing. I'm no collector, but I ended up being one after a while.

Luckybob, this will get your juices flowing. Although I'd rather not witness that in person. 🤣

My visit to the recycle center produced good results with various ISA cards, but the real catch was this ultra rare super sought after eMachines eTower 400i3. (heavy sarcasm for the slow ones)

Anyway, I saw it sitting in a lonely corner and it looked to be in mint, but dusty condition. Cleaned it up and it looks like it came right off the 1999 Office Depot sales floor. It's a Celeron 400 with 256MB RAM and an integrated ATI 3D Rage Pro and Crystal sound chip. I have to be honest, even though these were cheap little machines back in the day this makes a great little Windows 98SE box. Played a few early Windows 95/98 games perfectly. Had to update the BIOS from v1.11 to v1.8 so it would recognize drives larger than 8GB. Installed a 40GB Western Digital drive and it is humming along beautifully.

One peculiar problem is the PSU has a whine to it and you can really hear it when you you turn it off, but leave it plugged in. Does not seem to be causing any issues though.

etower.JPG
Filename
etower.JPG
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
659 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
inside.JPG
Filename
inside.JPG
File size
2.24 MiB
Views
659 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ragepro.JPG
Filename
ragepro.JPG
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
659 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 20914 of 37167, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The power supply in that eMachines is dying and will go out probably sooner than later.

Back in the day, when I worked at a computer shop, we couldn't keep those power supplies in stock even though we were selling them at $50 a pop.
The ones we were selling were much better quality than the ones that came stock in those things.

Yamaha YMF modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG resource repository - updated November 27, 2018
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
Epstein didn't kill himself

Reply 20915 of 37167, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I helped out friends quite a bit back in the day when desktops reigned supreme. Packard Bell, Hewlett Packard, etc... had their quirks. But by far the worst machine I ever worked on was an eMachines system that I tried to fix/improve/service for this one girl. I swear those things were the absolute answer to the "modern yet cheap?" question posed at the time.

What Donald Duck game is that?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 20916 of 37167, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

The power supply in that eMachines is dying and will go out probably sooner than later.

Back in the day, when I worked at a computer shop, we couldn't keep those power supplies in stock even though we were selling them at $50 a pop.
The ones we were selling were much better quality than the ones that came stock in those things.

I figured as much. I usually replace vintage machine PSUs with higher end models, but I see generic replacement PSUs are fairly cheap for this model. Probably will do this sooner than later. I worked at a computer repair shop in the early 90s for a few years and Packard Bells were another brand we constantly replaced PSUs on as well.

Reply 20917 of 37167, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:

So I helped out friends quite a bit back in the day when desktops reigned supreme. Packard Bell, Hewlett Packard, etc... had their quirks. But by far the worst machine I ever worked on was an eMachines system that I tried to fix/improve/service for this one girl. I swear those things were the absolute answer to the "modern yet cheap?" question posed at the time.

What Donald Duck game is that?

Agree with everything you say, BUT this little guy is a very nice Windows 98SE box to mess around with. The integrated Rage Pro works extremely well with the early 3D games. I actually really like the system for early Windows 9x games. The fact it was in such nice condition was a plus. The factory 4GB hard drive had massively failed, but with the BIOS update and 40GB hard drive replacement it is actually a rather zippy little machine.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. haha That is a demo/prototype version of Donald Duck Goin Quackers (went by Quack Attack in Europe) (called Donald Duck Demo in this early release) and was released on a Mickey Mouse magazine demo disc. It had quite a few differences from the later commercial release. You can download this demo prototype from the link at the bottom of this post. (It only runs in Windows 9x. I could not get it running in Windows 7 64 at all even with dgVoodoo). Make sure to go to the options screen right after you load the game and turn up the sound effects volume which is turned all the way down by default for some reason. Also increase the graphic sharpness as well in the options.

http://kuribo64.net/board/thread.php?id=3352

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-12-21, 02:06. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 20918 of 37167, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
dexvx wrote:
I always liked Elsa's unique designs. […]
Show full quote

I always liked Elsa's unique designs.

FX 5900 Vanilla boxed.

MoeUZWJl.jpg

Asus A7S333, when turn power on, green light will come on. But power on and nothing (no fan, no video). Using AXP 1900+ Palomino, 1x Corsair PC3200 512MB, and Enermax 430W (good for A7N8X/AXP3200). Any ideas if so, PM me.

WNt3So4.jpg

Remove VGA and RAM, put a speaker on it and listen If it beeps.
Be careful with heatsink it's very easy to toast those CPUs.

Reply 20919 of 37167, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
verysaving wrote:
dexvx wrote:
I always liked Elsa's unique designs. […]
Show full quote

I always liked Elsa's unique designs.

FX 5900 Vanilla boxed.

MoeUZWJl.jpg

Asus A7S333, when turn power on, green light will come on. But power on and nothing (no fan, no video). Using AXP 1900+ Palomino, 1x Corsair PC3200 512MB, and Enermax 430W (good for A7N8X/AXP3200). Any ideas if so, PM me.

WNt3So4.jpg

Remove VGA and RAM, put a speaker on it and listen If it beeps.
Be careful with heatsink it's very easy to toast those CPUs.

This might be obvious but install a CMOS battery? I doubt it will help in this case but I've said that before about things and discovered something completely illogical to be the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6ZVlYOXA12tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF2 Ultra 64MB|CT4620
#Bernie2020 #FeelTheBern