just found this site on google
http://www.planetbluemoon.de/html/1/d1.d2.patch.level.htm

Reply 2 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:
you dont need to run DOS or GLIDE to have good graphics for descent on descentworld they had opengl versions of both descent gam […]
Show full quote

you dont need to run DOS or GLIDE to have good graphics for descent
on descentworld they had opengl versions of both descent games
i just checked it and i think its down but the file names are
d1x143w32.zip for descent1 opengl
and
d2x-0.1.2_mingw32.zip
or
d2x-ogl.zip for descent 2

although i never got the descent 2 version running very well myself
reason i dont like descent2: the cd check is a pain
and i could never get it to work right on the dos or windows version
since i never really bothered to see if descent2 worked
im not sure if the descent2 files listed are correct
but i do play descent 1 ogl all the time now
and it has mouse support and i think network support too

ps
just found this site on google
http://www.planetbluemoon.de/html/1/d1.d2.patch.level.htm

or you could try a search first: search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=195 … rder=descending

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 16, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is already a reworked version in the works of d2x by Dietfrid Mali. Ironically, it's this d2x version i just played 5 mins ago.
http://www.brockart.de/descent/d2x.html

It has a lot of bugfixes, better network support and (disgusting and very simplistic) coloured lightning but you can shut it off though.

Bugs I have experienced:
- Robot movies are not shown at high resolutions, and weirded out on 640*480.
- No real cockpit (only a hud bar, which appears only at default resolutions 640*480, 320*200)
-Lightning intensity is not adjustable (everytime you fire lasers, the whole room turns red) Lightning is not exactly "smooth"...I guess it works OK for low intensity white lightning but not for very saturated coloured lightning.
-No transparent explosions like in 3dfx version.
-Midi support is there!, but volume is not always adjustable. (probably sdl.dll's fault in some way, i think it can be fixed)

All bugs that I have tested on both ati and nvidia cards (not all of these bugs, but most) appeared on both cards.

but it has a stable feel compared to the original d2X and has a lot more options.
Otherwise, this newer d2x is quite good.

It's an alternative compared to Glidos. Glidos feels less stable, is not free and is a bigger hassle to run (compared to a click-click on d2x) BUT glidos makes the game looks like it should, and I THINK you have a cockpit with glidos (on any resolution).

For now, you'll get a better original feel of descent2 using glidos.

Reply 6 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes D1X is superb.

I guess I'm kind of late, but I wanted to reply to this;

I installed D1X a while ago and started playing Descent with. At first, it was great, but as I got further into the game, it started to get rather buggy.

The screens telling you about new robot types stopped displaying the text. The graphics for the robots on these screens would "smear" like the robot was turning in wet paint. Sometimes the levels would take up to half a minute to start. The little screenshots on the save menu were just garbage.

Of course all there are just incidental things, the biggest problem I had was that the game would start slowing down when sounds were played. After a reboot everything played fine and the game didn't have any slowdown at all, even when shooting continously. After maybe half an hour or so, firing the lasers caused everything to go into slo-mo so badly that the game became unplayable. Quit the game, close everything down, reboot, reload that same spot and the game would be good for another 30 minutes or so.

It's possible that it's the fault of my onboard Intel sound and the SoundMax drivers, but out of all the games I've run on this system, I've only ever found one other game that exhibits the same problem; Carnivores II, which is a Windows game, and even that one doesn't slow down to the degree that D1X does. Others I've played for hours at a time with no noticable problems include; Jedi Knight, Serious Sam, Half-Life/Opposing Force, Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2, Jedi Academy, Tomb Raider/UB (didn't know about Glidos then), Doom/Doom2/Final Doom (using the Doomsday engine), Voyager Elite Force, Halo, Thief Gold, Prince of Persia 1&2...

Reply 9 of 16, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently compiled a cvs checkout of d1x and it works pretty stable for me...no cockpit though but I got used to it. Haven't bothered with d2x yet, I plan to when I finish Decent I 😀

Reply 10 of 16, by Guest

User metadata

Heya,

D2X-W32 coder speaking here. D2X-W32 is a windows-specific development branch of D2X, and is more stable and advanced than D2X. The program is still continuously being improved, and many early issues have been fixed (e.g. ugly colored lighting). D2X-W32 does support playing D1 missions and even uses the D1 weapon physics (it will however replace a few D1 textures with D2 textures). D2X-W32 also supports playing multiplayer games directly using the UDP/IP protocol w/o having to use a tool like KALI. See www.descent2.de/d2x.html for all details.

Reply 11 of 16, by Guest

User metadata

I forgot to mention that D2X-W32 supports all cockpit types in all available screen resolutions. If you are looking for new Descent missions (single/multiplayer), check my site www.descent2.de out: I have a level spotlight there where I feature the best D1/D2 levels I could find on the inet, and I am offering a good few quality levels myself. 😉