VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have any information or pictures of 01/05/1999-VP3-586B-8669-2A5LES2AC-00 Soyo EH-1BC1 motherboard?
Is it socket 7? super socket 7? Is it a standard motherboard size? What expansion slots it has? What cpus does it support?
I would appreciate any information you might have.

Edit: Main reason why I am looking for the information is that I saw this oem pc for sale cheap that has the motheboard. The case of the pc looks really nice, so I would grab it if I knew you can put any standard motherboard inside even if the motherboard and other parts that comes with would not be that useful to me. All the other information is just extra to know if I might also use the motherboard that is already there.

Reply 1 of 19, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any chance its an AT case?

http://www.kva.kursk.ru/bios1/HTML1/soyo.html
Based on this and its bios name it would be a via apollo chipset. The boards that come up with a similar bios string are SS7 with agp ports.

FIC VA-503+ is one that turns up under a 1999 version of that chipset bios.

Via apollo vp3 :
https://www.anandtech.com/show/72/18

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought the pc. It was cheap only 20 euros, so I thought there wasn't too much of a risk. The seller said in the description that system posts but he had not tried to install any OS. Now all I can do is to wait and see what I will get 😀

Reply 4 of 19, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I bought the pc. It was cheap only 20 euros, so I thought there wasn't too much of a risk. The seller said in the description that system posts but he had not tried to install any OS. Now all I can do is to wait and see what I will get 😀

I would have bought this too, as I like AT form factor socket 7 stuff. I'm fairly confident you're getting a super socket 7 setup here as well, if that's what you were after.

Post pics when you have it 😎

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just received the pc today. It seems I was mistaken about the motherboard. I only had a post screen picture from the seller that said EH-1BC1.
The motherboard is actually Soyo SY-5EHM. I found manual here http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/107/m5ehv1310.pdf
It seems that I won't be able to use 1.6V K2-III+ with this motherboardbecause voltage settings are only between 2.0V and 3.5V. Cpu that came with the pc seems to be K6-2 300Mhz

Here are some pictures.

20180102_160002.jpg
Filename
20180102_160002.jpg
File size
4.18 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180102_154707.jpg
Filename
20180102_154707.jpg
File size
3.02 MiB
Views
File license
20180102_154721.jpg
Filename
20180102_154721.jpg
File size
3.14 MiB
Views
File license

I am still happy about this because the pc was so cheap. Only thing that is missing is the support for 1.6V cpu.

Reply 6 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing interesting that I noticed is that even though the motherboard seems to be baby-at size, it has both AT and ATX power connectors. First time I have seen that.
It also seems to have ati rage pro turbo graphics card in agp slot.

Anyone has any idea how to recognize what revision this motherboard is?

Reply 8 of 19, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:
20180102_154707.jpg

Clint (LGR) would probably love that "walnut burl" insert on the case. I know *I* do! Snazzy!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 9 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah and when you touch it, the insert has made to feel rough and different from rest of the plastic on the case, so it almost feels like it isn't plastic.
The pc seems to be working fine. Hard drive had NT 4.0 that didn't boot because it said that there was a missing file, but when I installed dos 6.22, everything seems to work fine. The cpu fan sounds like it is going to need a replacement though.

AlaricD wrote:
Baoran wrote:
20180102_154707.jpg

Clint (LGR) would probably love that "walnut burl" insert on the case. I know *I* do! Snazzy!

Reply 11 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. It helps alot. So it is actually VIA apollo MVP3 chipset.

If I am going to try running 1.6V K3-III+ cpu using 2.0V, Does the cpu/motherboard have any kind of temperature sensor that I could make sure cpu won't be too hot?
Also Could I replace the current cpu fan that has clearly bad bearings with Gelid Silent 5 fan or would it not be powerful enough to keep it cool? The gelid fan is exactly same size and I tested that I could even use the same screws.

Moogle! wrote:

Reply 12 of 19, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

One thing interesting that I noticed is that even though the motherboard seems to be baby-at size, it has both AT and ATX power connectors. First time I have seen that.
It also seems to have ati rage pro turbo graphics card in agp slot.

Anyone has any idea how to recognize what revision this motherboard is?

IIRC, most of the MVP3 boards had AT and ATX connectors.

Now I wish I would find a PCChips M577 again, just for the sake of plugging in a Voodoo 3 in it.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 13 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have actually no idea what revision the motherboard. I found manuals for REV 1.0 and REV 1.3, but neither is a match. It feels like it is even older than REV 1.0 because REV 1.0 has 5 switches for cpu voltage and this motherboard seems to have 6 jumpers instead of those switches.

Reply 15 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After bit of searching, I found a third manual that seems to match. http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/107/m5eh20.pdf as it has those 6 jumpers in JP30 to set voltage for cpu.
anyone has any idea if there is bios update for this motherboard anywhere? Bios ID during boot is 01/05/1999-VP3-586B-8669-2A5LES2AC-00 like I mentioned in the first post.
I found this page https://biosagentplus.com/bios/2A5LES2A?ref=822 that claims to have bios with similar ID but I don't know if that web site is some kind of fake or what.
I assume motherboard would not recognize K6-III or K6-III+ without bios upgrade because bios date is before K6-III was released.

Reply 16 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK. I found this site. http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/bi … /586/index.html
are any of these bios files compatible with my motherboard?
Is there any way to check if the bios id in bin file matches the bios id in post screen?

Reply 17 of 19, by mario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

about voltages ... try to find the datasheet for the voltage regulator IC, I remember I had modified an MVP3 board to use a k6+ by inverting the MSB of VID's, this way the lower voltages of the voltage table are in use. Pay attention ! Bye, Mario

Reply 18 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

OK. I found this site. http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/bi … /586/index.html
are any of these bios files compatible with my motherboard?
Is there any way to check if the bios id in bin file matches the bios id in post screen?

Do you have an EEPROM programmer or the ability (and experience/balls) to hot-flash on another board? If so, don't worry, just try likely ones until you find the one that works 😉

First check is if the size of the image file fits the EEPROM. This board was from just around the time that motherboards were moving from 1Mb to 2Mb EEPROMs, and frequently you see images in both sizes. A 1Mb image can fit on either, but obviously a 2Mb image won't fit on a 1Mb EEPROM. Check the file size in Bytes (so 128kB vs 256kB).

Apart from that see here:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Soyo 5EHM Family-1DA1 05/16/2000 5EH1DA1.BIN There are different versions of the 5EHM. Be sure you get the right BIOS.

So there certainly is K6-3+ support on at least one official BIOS for that board. I'd try this one first.

Reply 19 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I took the risk and I flashed the bios. The bios that was previously in the system was same as in 5eh-1bc1.bin, so based on the naming scheme they seemed to use in their bios files, I flashed 5eh1da1.bin. It seemed to work, but the cpu was only recognized as K6-III instead of K6-III+.