VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi retroers.
I've an IBM PC 300GL computer which has its own internal PC speakers, (not beeps and buups, that's real speakers in the PC case), but it has a horribly high speaker volume level and it's quite loud and disturbing. How to decrease the volume level on those computers?
Either with jumpers, or with a tool on MS-DOS? Couldn't find any such jumber on the mainboard.
Any idea? Thanks.
DSCN0026.JPG

Reply 2 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be surprised if there was a way to alter the volume of the PC speaker but you never know with an OEM.

On my clone 286 I ended up slicing a resister into the PC speaker wire and that worked well - a bit fiddly because you need to find the right resistance, but if you have a few to try then you can simply switch them in / out until you find the right level.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I'd be surprised if there was a way to alter the volume of the PC speaker but you never know with an OEM.

On my clone 286 I ended up slicing a resister into the PC speaker wire and that worked well - a bit fiddly because you need to find the right resistance, but if you have a few to try then you can simply switch them in / out until you find the right level.

When the internal speakers are also used for actual music, they usually are connected to the integrated sound card on the motherboard, and you can control the music and sound effect volume via the mixer controls (beeps etc. are unaffected).

Reply 4 of 7, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using ES1930/ES1989 drivers, there is no mixer that's included with the driver. I tried manually downloading DOS versions of ESSVol, ESSMixer executables, however these tools couldn't detect the audio card.
It's really disturbing..

Last edited by deksar on 2018-01-08, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

When the internal speakers are also used for actual music, they usually are connected to the integrated sound card on the motherboard, and you can control the music and sound effect volume via the mixer controls (beeps etc. are unaffected).

Apologies! I didn't read the OP properly.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.