Topic actions

Reply 22 of 24, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the Goat wrote:
haker120 wrote:

Goldberg what?

Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist who is famous for drawing overly complicated machines to perform simple tasks.

Thanks, never heard of him. Now I just wait for SC-88VL. 😀

Reply 23 of 24, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
haker120 wrote:

So was my choice good? And I don't understand, why normal model has additional panel with buttons? Will I notice a lack of those in games with model VL?

Those buttons are mainly for musicians. They let you control the instrument effects (vibrato, filtering, and attack/decay/release envelopes). I find them invaluable when I'm making music but I've never had to use them when making games since, if a game uses the effects at all, the MIDI files will do all the FX programming for you. Even then, the effects are just MSB/LSB values so if you need to use them when making music, you can edit them in real time with Seikaiju (MIDI sequencer) or GS Advanced Edit.

I should also say that you're just fine with getting an SC-88VL; just like with the effects, the extra instruments are great for making music but there are practically no games out there that use the 88Pro's extended set of sounds. The only one off the top of my head is Touhou 6.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U