VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, as you probably know I'm a giant Packard Bell fan but I was wondering who else out there just collects one single brand. I mean sure I have other computers but if I had to get rid of everything tomorrow my Packard Bell machines would be the last things I clung onto (and that's saying something since I have some good stuff!).

So whatcha say guys, anyone else OEM brand fanboys?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm nowhere near the point I would say I am an avid collector of any of them but I am trying my best to collect things from: Creative, Terratec, 3dfx, ATI.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 13, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I`m collecting mainly AMD cpu`s and nothing more from intel. And from mainboards Gigabyte and ASUS.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bunch of systems in my collection are IBM products - 5140/5150/5160/5170, PC350, Netvista, Aptiva and tons of Thinkpads, as well as peripherals and some software. I guess other than serious Apple or Commodore/Amiga collectors there won't be too many one make aficionados?

Reply 5 of 13, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of my OEM desktops and laptops are Dell or Gateway.

I have a particular fondness of the Gateway Essential and Performance line from ~1999/2000. I have three of these towers.
ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3A%2F%2Fi.nextmedia.com.au%2FDynamicImages%2FProduct%2Flab_47.gif&w=900&c=0&s=0

I probably have more ASUS motherboards than any other brand.

Reply 6 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm an opportunist buyer, so I don't generally have the luxury of collecting a specific brand. I do seem to have a fair bit of Creative and ATi, just because they're common. I think if I could go back 20 years, I'd do a better job to collect Cyrix and Evergreen products.

I remember in 2001 or so, there was a guy who managed to collect pretty much all of the Cyrix chips with green heatsinks in pristine condition. I would guess at that time those CPUs were near worthless. That was before Cyrix went out of business, and they had a reputation for producing sub-entry level CPUs so even I thought it was kind of silly.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd like to collect Osborne Australia Computers, Mainly due to it being my first PC, but also unique part of Australian history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_( ... _retailer)

But even back in the 90's I only came across 2 others, a mate from school who had a similar model to mine and an older model from dads work which was either a 486 SX or 386 (I just remember Doom was slow) so of course they are even harder to find now!
Other then that I have no loyalties, I have a preference to pre HP merger Compaqs as that what I mostly worked on but like my Dell's and Gateways just as much.

Reply 8 of 13, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im becoming a Compaq collector. Not my intention, but after working for almost 20 years with Compaq and later HP servers and business PCs i have a love hate relationship with them. All things i couldnt stand earlier with weird bios, cases, proprietary form factors etc i now find somewhat attractive. I also have easy access to those brands since we used it at work. Sadly i recycled many interesting machines before i got the retro madness.

Reply 9 of 13, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude, I've got several Dells. My favourite is my Dimension T550. That thing will take anything from a 233MHz P2 to a 1.4GHz Celeron without complaint. Currently outfitted with two sound cards, V3-3500, and a 1.4GHz CPU, it's a BEAST for Win98 and high-res DOS gaming. My dream is to give it a V5-5500 one of these days. 😀

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 11 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel slot1 cpu's: 10+ cpu's, got the 233 to 750, every model in between, and a loose 866 and 1ghz 133fsb. Above 750mhz 100fsb becomes hard to find here. Would love to find the 100fsb 1ghz version.

Nvidia Gpu's up to fastest agp: 50+ cards NV1 to 7900gs/Gainward 7800gs+ agp and almost every higher end model in between from different brands. Only missing the GF2 Ultra, fx5800 Ultra and the 7950GT agp, the rest is all there.

3Dfx cards: 60+ cards, 11 boxed from Rush to V5 mac and everything in between and lots of spares. ''missing'' Quantum 3D and V5 6K

Asus boards: from 486 pci to s478/socketA 30+ boards, 15 boxed.

Also like and collect cpu adapters: got the Asus CT-479, Powerleap ip3/T , Upgradeware Slot-T, Upgradeware 370-GU and various slotkets.

Recently started adding ATi cards but only the very high-end agp cards. Got the 9800pro, x850xt Platinum Edition, x1950Pro and 4670 all boxed and the 3850 without the box.

Keeps me busy 😎 Maybe one day will make pictures from all of it, but it's a lot.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 13, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For system brands I collect Apple (68k/PPC), Commodore/Amiga, for PC it would be IBM for Thinkpads and PS/2. Usually I just grab what is around that is inexpensive and fits what I need (Gateway 2000 system for example). I also have a few DELLs and Compaqs. For parts companies I have 3DFX, AMD, ATI, Creative, Matrox, AVID, Supermac, Radius.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 13 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Consumer computer hardware from 386 to PIII, but with special attention to Cyrix-designed hardware. I used to have an interest in the Apple SE/30, but the analogue boards kept dying and so did the hard drives. I am also partial to Matrox.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.