VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22000 of 52744, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought on a flea market today:

A couple of ultrastor U15F IDE cache controller isa, perfect for my 386 build.
A 430vx pentium 100 and a opti495 dx266 both boards never used.
Intel d45sg + q9400
rapidcad -1 and rapicad-2 sadly the motherboard was damaged beyond repair
386 dx 40
2 SB awe 32
SB awe 64
SB Vibra
SB Pro
Vlb Ttident
Powermac G4 (not pictured)
Some pci vgas and some unrelated to retro pc parts.

Attachments

• 20180219_100730.jpg
    Filename
    20180219_100730.jpg
    File size
    88.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22001 of 52744, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Off topic, but I quickly realized page 1101 in binary is 13.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22002 of 52744, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mut wrote:

rapidcad -1 and rapicad-2 sadly the motherboard was damaged beyond repair

Wow! They are pretty uncommon 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 22003 of 52744, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
I started going through them. Didn't find another CL Eagle II VGA like in the previous lot - all the 286 desktops seem to have t […]
Show full quote
carlostex wrote:
MMaximus wrote:

Picked up this lot yesterday... It's gonna take me a while to get through all these!

Wow, i'm sure that not only you'll find nice goodies inside you also get nice AT desktop cases too. Would love me one of them cases.

I started going through them. Didn't find another CL Eagle II VGA like in the previous lot - all the 286 desktops seem to have the same kind of Paradise 8 bit VGA (pending further investigation). On the other hand the badly yellowed desktop apparently sports a 486SX33 VLB Mobo with an ET4000AX and the small tower to the left has an ASUS TX97-E - stuff I've never owned before but am quite interested in.

My plan is to clean all these, replace the CMOS batteries and get them running again if it's within my skills. Then I'll keep some for myself and sell the rest (parts, complete systems or cases).

But before that I need to finish dealing with this lot I bought more than a year ago and only started working on 😵

n7qZPG4l.jpg

If you need help with that system on the far right, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. 😀 I don't have a model 60.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22004 of 52744, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My eyes also immediately darted to the IBM.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22005 of 52744, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't get around to posting this until now, but a couple days ago, I bought a Dell Dimension 4600 from someone who no longer had a use for it. It has a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 (non-HT), 2GB of RAM (it had 3GB, but I had to remove some sticks because one of the RAM slots was broken), a 160GB SATA hard drive, an nVidia Geforce 6200 video card with 512MB of memory (didn't know they made GF6200s with that much RAM!), and a SATA DVD-ROM drive which surprisingly works great with this system.

IMG_1811.JPG
Filename
IMG_1811.JPG
File size
478.92 KiB
Views
File license

It also came with a generic PS/2 keyboard, a severely-yellowed Microsoft PS/2 Trackball, and the matching software restoration discs.

IMG_1812.JPG
Filename
IMG_1812.JPG
File size
98.21 KiB
Views
File license

This will be my sandbox/hardware testing system for testing IDE/SATA drives, AGP/PCI cards, DDR1 RAM, ATX power supplies, etc. I'm currently using it to DBAN my spare 320GB SATA hard drive as of this post.

Reply 22006 of 52744, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

an nVidia Geforce 6200 video card with 512MB of memory (didn't know they made GF6200s with that much RAM!)

I know of only 5 models with that much RAM. Two from EVGA, one from Gigabyte and two from PNY.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 22007 of 52744, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
I didn't get around to posting this until now, but a couple days ago, I bought a Dell Dimension 4600 from someone who no longer […]
Show full quote

I didn't get around to posting this until now, but a couple days ago, I bought a Dell Dimension 4600 from someone who no longer had a use for it. It has a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 (non-HT), 2GB of RAM (it had 3GB, but I had to remove some sticks because one of the RAM slots was broken), a 160GB SATA hard drive, an nVidia Geforce 6200 video card with 512MB of memory (didn't know they made GF6200s with that much RAM!), and a SATA DVD-ROM drive which surprisingly works great with this system.

IMG_1811.JPG

It also came with a generic PS/2 keyboard, a severely-yellowed Microsoft PS/2 Trackball, and the matching software restoration discs.

IMG_1812.JPG

This will be my sandbox/hardware testing system for testing IDE/SATA drives, AGP/PCI cards, DDR1 RAM, ATX power supplies, etc. I'm currently using it to DBAN my spare 320GB SATA hard drive as of this post.

Be sure to check the capacitors on the motherboard. A lot of Dells from the P4 era (especially the ones that open like a book) were plagued with some of the worst caps out there... leaky, bulging, etc.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22008 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
I didn't get around to posting this until now, but a couple days ago, I bought a Dell Dimension 4600 from someone who no longer […]
Show full quote

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

Be sure to check the capacitors on the motherboard. A lot of Dells from the P4 era (especially the ones that open like a book) were plagued with some of the worst caps out there... leaky, bulging, etc.

SX260-280 and GX260-280. I was doing Dell warranty repair during the great capacitor plague which affected pretty much all OEMs as well as aftermarket manufacturers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22009 of 52744, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

If you need help with that system on the far right, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. 😀 I don't have a model 60.

This particular PS/2 tower is actually a model 65 - which I think has a 386SX16. It powers on but then gives these error codes:

mwXouzwl.jpg

From what I've read they are related to the dead Dallas RTC module. Wether I manage to fix it or not, I would have to sell it locally as it's incredibly heavy and bulky 😵

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 22010 of 52744, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, that's the last screen I remember seeing on our PS/2 model 70. Could kick myself we couldn't be bothered to fix it (that was at the end of the 1990s, when PS/2-MCA was just odd, incompatible and worthless).

Reply 22011 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, somebody posted a boxed (new old stock supposedly) Intel VS440FX Pentium Pro motherboard for $12.50 shipped so I bought it. Now I just need a Pentium Pro CPU.

This board was only tested with the 256k L2 cache CPUs. Anybody know if the 512k or 1MB L2 cache CPUs will work with this board?

Ppro.jpg
Filename
Ppro.jpg
File size
24.14 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22012 of 52744, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

I would have to sell it locally as it's incredibly heavy and bulky 😵

Never stopped me from shipping. Luckybob knows this to be true. I shipped him a massive tower a few months back. If the buyer is willing to fork out the shipping cost what difference does it make. There are so many items I would love to buy, but the sellers limit themselves with local pickup only. I just got done shipping a massive system to a museum wrapped in "large bubble" bubble wrap and floating in a sea of shipping peanuts. Arrived in perfect shape. As I learned recently, Greyhound will throw your big item in for shipping as well. Never have done it, but may be worth looking into.

Reply 22013 of 52744, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Error 301 means key on the keyboard is stuck, Invalid parameter in SCB, or no keyboard present (one of the three).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22014 of 52744, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
This particular PS/2 tower is actually a model 65 - which I think has a 386SX16. It powers on but then gives these error codes: […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

This particular PS/2 tower is actually a model 65 - which I think has a 386SX16. It powers on but then gives these error codes:

mwXouzwl.jpg

From what I've read they are related to the dead Dallas RTC module. Wether I manage to fix it or not, I would have to sell it locally as it's incredibly heavy and bulky 😵

model 65? even better imho. yea, shipping that beast in the US would be around $100. Im still interested, if you are willing. shoot me a pm.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22015 of 52744, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:
This particular PS/2 tower is actually a model 65 - which I think has a 386SX16. It powers on but then gives these error codes: […]
Show full quote

mwXouzwl.jpg

here are some pics from my PS1/pro manual, they detail the error codes maybe it helps to narrow down the issues

LsCTVPWm.jpg xHiBgbpm.jpg ydzvjSEm.jpg

PGRPAiim.jpg evTXRiCm.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22018 of 52744, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Well, somebody posted a boxed (new old stock supposedly) Intel VS440FX Pentium Pro motherboard for $12.50 shipped so I bought it. Now I just need a Pentium Pro CPU.

This board was only tested with the 256k L2 cache CPUs. Anybody know if the 512k or 1MB L2 cache CPUs will work with this board?

According to the manual, it only supports 256K and 512K L2.

I found reference on Ars Technica of a board sold with a 1M chip, but it is not officially supported.

GIYF

Reply 22019 of 52744, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Nick pick. I tried 200/1M in lot of all types boards and working fine. Some older boards showing 0 MB cache in bios/post but in operating system CPU-Z showed 1M.
Problem is with support PII Overdrive 333, but my tip is that thiese Intel boards can run it.

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg