VOGONS

First post, by SammyFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I've installed dos 6.22 and windows for workgroups 3.11 on my zenith lappy I decided to wipe my lifebook and put windows 9x on it. The laptop has a Pentium MMX 200mhz cpu and 96mb of ram (and a battery that still holds a 2 hour charge!) and I love it dearly. Normally I'd put windows 95 on it and call it a day but I found out the wifi pcmcia card I have (Linksys wpc54g) doesn't seem to have windows 95 drivers for it (the oldest the card supports is stated to be windows 98) and I want to be able to get on the internet with it (I know there's like 95% of the internet that doesn't render at all on internet explorer 5 and netscape 4.x but those that still do are those that matter to me) so I was wondering, if there really is no way to get that card working with windows 95, would my specs be sufficient to run windows 98 comfortably?

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm running Win98SE on a MMX 200 with 64 MB RAM and it works great. While Win95 would be snappier, the specs are more than good enough for Win98.

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got an old laptop I was thinking about installing Win98 non SE just for something different.
For me I like Win95 for Pre Pentium 2 and Win98SE for anything after.
SE is the better choice but if its more or a curiosity PC rather then for gaming then why not?

Reply 3 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win98 "first edition" is quite unstable and you can't use WDM drivers. I never installed it again once SE came out.

Reply 4 of 5, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98 (both first and second edition) should run fine with your specs. I once ran Windows 98 on a Dell Latitude CP with a 166 MHz Pentium MMX and 32MB of RAM with no complaints.

As for compatible web browser recommendations: I'd recommend using either Firefox 2.0 or Seamonkey 1.1.x as they're a lot more usable than Internet Explorer 4-6.

Reply 5 of 5, by oldpcguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use Win98Lite.. Runs Win95 shell on Win98 core. Very fast. You can also use WinME defragger just fine in it.

Let me know if you need it, I'll dig it up.