VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
When raising FSB with Clockgen-program ? ( BIOS overclocking is not possible -> Locked )
I use FSB=230-240MHz ( Normal FSB 200MHz)
Processor: 2200MHz -> 2600MHz

- Any broken internal PCI sound cards ( Sound blasters ) due to overclocking with raised FSB ?
CPU temperature is only 30*C so very low even when overclocked. So there is potential.
- Does the HDD IDE PATAs corrupt immediately due to overclock or does it take a 1 year or 2,... ?

Is there any side effects on raising FSB with Clockgen if temperatures are only at 30*C maximum ?

Reply 1 of 5, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Altering the FSB, so long as it's not directly affecting the speed of the local bus, has no affect on speed, performance, or temperature.

However, some architectures have the FSB speed and local bus speed bound together. If you raise the speed of the PCI bus above 33mhz, you can risk damaging hardware, even if the big stuff is cool, but it always depends.

Reply 2 of 5, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got to recheck carefully but as far as I remember Clockgen PLL Control gave these values when I raised CPU:
CPU=2600-2700MHz(2200) Vcore=1.51V(1.4V) | FSB=240(200) | RAM=195(160) | "AGP=120"(100) | "PCI=40"(33)

Any suggestions what AGP and PCI MHzs can be at maximum long term use ?
AGP= 120-130MHz safe ? Stock 100
PCI= 40-50MHz safe ? Stock 33

Reply 3 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
user33331 wrote:

AGP= 120-130MHz safe ? Stock 100
PCI= 40-50MHz safe ? Stock 33

I won't use "safe" or "not safe", I'll just say that this range is on the extreme side and many, many devices will have problems at this speed if they work at all.
Now I don't want to hear from anyone "I had card x working at yyyMHz", there are also cards that can't tolerate 5MHz more but neither of those is what I wanted to communicate.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This about this in terms of VLB. VLB supported speeds up to 40mhz, but when the DX-50 came out, and that was out of spec, most cards didn't exactly break, they just didn't work. You are operating your hardware out of it's designed limits. This, I believe, is why most generic FSB speeds were multiples of either 30 or 33 (the standard speeds of the PCI local bus). Operating peripherals outside of design specifications could generate a faster card. It could also cause overheating, but most of the time causes the card to not work, and in worst case scenarios, could cause a hardware failure, especially at extended periods of operation, even if it appears to be working fine the the time being.

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cards simply tend to stop working when the bus speed reaches some point, though some will complain when they get close (clicks and noises happen).

I have had one ISA sound card (Awe64) stop working for good when it ran off 14MHz bus. I susppect the that was due to the PnP EEPROM on it getting corrupt. I'll have to dump it one day to see if it is the case.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜