VOGONS

Slot1 Build Issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The P2B boards were built with good caps, so it's unlikely to be those (even though they are old at this point).
Years ago when I used to get bulk lots of motherboards, I occasionally ran into boards that had this kind of behavior (working only when underclocked). Not sure why it happens.

A worrying thing is that it might continue to degrade until it's not stable at any usable speed. 🙁
I wonder if some aspect of the power circuitry somewhere is failing, like a dying MOSFET or something. The tests you've done don't show any obvious problem with voltages though.
One possibility (no real evidence, just a random guess) is that it could be a function of power draw from the Vcore circuit. If that were the case, then it's possible a CPU that draws less power would be able to work at a faster clock.

I'm not really advocating spending more money on random parts.. but do you happen to have a low end Coppermine? These boards frequently support Coppermine voltages but it depends what regulator chip you have. It's the ~20pin chip between the LPT port and the CPU.

Alternatively - does your P2-450MHz have a partially unlocked multiplier? Some Deschutes chips will let you set the multiplier lower, but not higher. Might be interesting to see if it can run at 100FSB with a lower multiplier like 3X or something. But I think most likely it's multiplier is locked.

Reply 21 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked through the thread but didn't see whether you actually confirmed the board is getting and distributing power - do the fans (case and CPU cooler) spin when you turn it on?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 25, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both fan connections get power.

And yeah shamino i think my P2 is a locked one. I tried setting the multiplier to a different setting in 66FSB and got nothing it would stay at 300 Mhz. And i turned it to 100 FSB and tried to lower the multiplier to something lower and still no boot. But i was wondering too if its all 100 FSB CPUs or just the higher up ones. I think ive decided against putting it at 75 FSB. I wouldnt want to further hurt it.

I was reading that most 1.00 Revs dont support Coppermine, but i was very interested in popping one in to see if that turned it on. If i run into a very cheap one ill buy it for sure.

Reply 23 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not a big sample size, but I've seen 4 P2B-F rev1.00 boards that I remember, and at least 3 of those (IIRC it was all 4) had a Coppermine compatible VRM. They just needed a BIOS flash.
If your regulator chip (between the LPT port and CPU slot) is a HIP6019CB, it can't go lower than 1.8V. But if it's a HIP6019BCB, or a US3007CW, then it can, and just needs a BIOS flash.
There can also be other chips there which I don't remember, but they can be looked up.

Reply 24 of 25, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well i got my hands on another P2B-F 1.00. Pentium II 450 works just fine. Its using BIOS 1013A. But when i boot into Windows it gives the Error -- Cant Write ESCD. And this was before i Flashed the BIOS and wasn't giving me this error when i first got it either.

Reply 25 of 25, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only a fraction of bad capacitors show any visible signs of being bad.
It's very common for Aluminum Electrolytic caps to be bad but look perfect visually.
After about 15 years of age the failure rates (even of so called 'good brands') start going up markedly.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.