VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had it happen on an am2 board. As the adapter supports a minimum of 640x480, you can't see it POST/the cmos (I forget which one now). This was on a plasma that quite happily displays a normal 320x240 signal through vga. The POST did have some sort of elaborate logo, maybe that was the cause?

Reply 1 of 4, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried a number of those a while ago and found that pretty much all the cheap ones just support VESA resolutions and not regular basic DOS resolutions. I settled for a Gefen VGA to HDMI scaler box. They pop up on ebay quite regularly and tend to be somewhat affordable. They work with all common resolutions.

Basically, for anything that uses non VESA resolution those cheap ones are pretty much useless.

Reply 2 of 4, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Sewell branded VGA to HDMI adapter box. Although I've not used it on any older actual PCs from the 90s era, it does display the POST startup screens on the few modern computers I've used it with, and I've read reviews that it works with the lower resolutions just fine. It naturally upscales.

Here is the one I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Hammerhead-Acti … a+to+hdmi&psc=1

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 3 of 4, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CrossBow777 wrote:

I use a Sewell branded VGA to HDMI adapter box. Although I've not used it on any older actual PCs from the 90s era, it does display the POST startup screens on the few modern computers I've used it with, and I've read reviews that it works with the lower resolutions just fine. It naturally upscales.

Here is the one I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Hammerhead-Acti … a+to+hdmi&psc=1

Do you think the crappy ones would have any lag in them? Seems that if I stick to 60hz, most resolutions can be done with mine compared to that Sewell.

Reply 4 of 4, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I honestly picked up the Sewell branded one because it was recommended for use with a Sega Dreamcast and it does work wonderfully with that and I'm assuming no real lag because it doesn't have to upscale the VGA from the DC. I did use it on an old Acer Aspire One netbook that I occasionally use for older games as it has XP on it and it worked quite well for those games. Then again, I largely play adventure style games where precise timing isn't of a concern when playing.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20