VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked it up for $2. I'm told that they go for hundreds?

Reply 1 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

look on ebay, there are a few below 100$ but without any information. working ones are listed between 300 and 800$. If they actually sell for these prices I do not know, but that is what they are listed as.

My take is, that considering how old they are you can feel lucky to find them at all. If your drive does work, you got a real bargain there.

BTW, no I'm not jealous, personally i would rather use XT-IDE or similar solution. I'm not a fan of ancient ultimately near death HDDs.

Reply 2 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, if you have one in working condition I advise you to put it away and use it as little as possible. 10 MB is tiny anyway and not good for very much.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Koltoroc wrote:

If they actually sell for these prices I do not know, but that is what they are listed as.

You can easily check that by searching for sold items. They sell for 30 to 60€.

Reply 5 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the procedure for shipping these things? You have to PARK them first don't you? Do they get damaged if you don't do this?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

after I test them, I park them. It's then 3 layers of slamm cell bubble wrap. 3 layers of large cell bubble wrap and then a box with a minimum of 2 inches each direction of packing peanuts. I've sold maybe 10 drives in the last year, have had zero arrive borked.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice coincidence - just now I was able to confirm my ST-412 also works (turns out I had controller woes). Also picked it up in a thrift shop for a few EUR. Not sure what I'm going to do with it - as Errius points out, 10MB is barely usable, the drive is noisy as hell and slow to match. But if nothing else it's a nice conversation piece - and if I get bored with it, selling is always an option.

Reply 8 of 8, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd pay probably 15 at the least for one, probably 20-30 realistically. MFM drives are neat things.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA